DO Cooking

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by hvac1877, Jan 9, 2012.

1. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Looks like I'm falling behind! Oh, but I did get the Lodge table. First camping trip with it, got ribs going right now! [BBQ] [BBQ]

2. singledad

singledad New Member

[:O] so many people using DOs I am out of that game, I do cooking on the cf grill and lp stove. Memorial weekend is the first time I really cooked over the cf, I did bacon, chicken breasts, and biscuts on it. The things did not get to bad. [CP] want [PUT] N [PU]

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Doesn't the sprite eat away the seasoning? I have used beer in recipes, but I would think soda products would be detrimental.

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

No the Sprite will not eat the seasoning away.

5. opnorty

opnorty New Member

We love Do cooking, but really just use it on our Roadmate grill. We have not ventured into the charcoal world of DOs yet. Coming soon...

One of our favorite treats camping is to make fritatas for breakfast. DW puts butter and frozen hasbrowns in the Do and lets them start to cook. When they are about half way done, she pours beaten eggs, chopped onions, peppers, maybe some browned sausage, etc. over the hasbrowns and tops with cheese. When the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked, the meal is done.

I'm sure everyone has a similar recipe. Pretty similar to mountain man breakfast, etc. I hate to admit this, but this breakfast was one of the reasons we bought our PUP in the first place - an excuse to make this meal more often. This is a requirement for breakfast at least once per outing.

opnorty

6. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

We make it southern style! Grits, sausage & cheese. You never have to worry about leftovers with this one.

7. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Care to expand? Do you just make the grits in the DO, then top with sausage and cheese? So the grits replace the hash browns.

8. YSG and RedBeard

YSG and RedBeard New Member

Count me in as a DO cooker. The 14in has been retired as we are now down to 2 people. But the 12, 10 and 8 are always with me when we camp.

9. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Mine is 14 as well.

We cook in it all the time. Scouts have 6 of them and we use em every camping trip, about once a month.

Jerry in MA

10. church

church New Member

Hello,
    Have been looking into adding one of these to our cast iron cooking, I have been doing some research into them. What it appears is that the 12" seems to be recommended size? I realize there are variables to be considered. What I am asking is what is the recommended depth of one of these? They are made in several different depths as you already know. Basically just a handful of people when we are camping, so should that be figured into our selection? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also one who tends to attempt different meals and cooking methods as well.
    Thanks,
    Church

11. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

Hey there, church! I have to give a +1 on the the #12 camp oven also. That size is the most readily available and practical. The Lodge brand has a 6 quart capacity and has about a 4 inch depth. It lends itself well to both baking and pot meals. As a rule of thumb, any recipe that will fit into a 9X13 pan will work well in this sized oven.

Deep ovens are usually about an inch taller. Their capacity is more less the equivalent to the next sized up in a bake oven (regular dutch oven). A #10 deep oven would be around 6 quarts also. You can bake in these as well, but it will require more coals to achieve the same results.

In most instances, I think the combination of a #10 camp oven for desserts and a #12 oven for the main dish work out best for a family of campers. [2C]

12. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

OK so this response is about a year late!
    Sausage Grits & Cheese
    Boil 1/2 cup grits in 2 cups salted water until thick. Remove from DO
    Sauté 1/2 lb ground breakfast sausage.
    Sauté 1 small onion in the sausage fat.
    Combine 1/2 stick butter or margarine, 1 beaten egg, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and sausage to the cooked grits. Add Tabasco or Crystals hot sauce to taste.
    Bake in 12 inch DO for about 1hr @ 325.
    You can add chilies for a spicier pallet

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I clicked on this thread hoping to find a simple "How to use a DO", there was good info but I still had no idea what to do....

I found this, and answered a lot of questions!!

How To Use A Dutch Oven

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use aluminum DO'S . there is no break in they are considerably lighter especially while canoe /kayak camping. I made a tri-pod to hang my DO from, out of galvanized pipe and chain.

15. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I've got DO on the brain [:)O] [:)O]
    Three things that I want to try in a DO and should turn out fine are:
    Schwenkbrauten - marinated pork steaks served on a split kaiser roll with mustard
    Beer bread - hearty bread with endless flavor possibilities (I make it in the oven during the winter)
    Pernil - I grew up on South Carolina BBQ but my mother in law showed the the Puerto Rican/Cuban twist
    Brined Chicken - easy and stays moist and flavorful when slow cooked on the grill

Gonna have to make a few trial runs at the house. First I gotta buy me a DO when I get my fishing license next week!!

16. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

I have a question about dump cakes and cobblers. Does the cake mixture actually set up like a cake or is it more like a bread pudding texture??

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

it's going to be kind of like bread pudding. One of the reasons I like this cake is it's very moist.

18. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

Thanks. I'm a newby at DO cooking.

19. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

dump cakes are the easiest to start with. What part of the country do you live in.