Do cracked ABS roofs leak??

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by nebibou, Apr 18, 2010.

1. nebibou

nebibou Guest

I have a 1998 coleman santa fe.
    The previous owner spoke about hairline cracks that he covered with that tar roofing tape.....well....it was some hairline cracks and a major piece 3 inches wide and almost the all length missing on the front side (side of the door) . I sealed all the hairline cracks I saw with super glue and baking soda ( I read that somewhere) so far it worked except for 2 cracks where I think water went through.
    The tape started sliding off place in the same area where the water went through, maybe because of heat or rain..... ,I removed some tape to let it dry well I put a waterproof tarp on top of the pop up and I am planning to put some more of that tape since I am not that handy.... I am concerned about the water that went through , it is going to cause water damage on the inside of the ceiling?? is there any better temporary fix than roofing tape??

2. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Inside the ABS roof is a solid type of foam so I wouldn't worry too much about water leaking unless it is a very large crack. As for the repair the best solution is the ABS/MEK goo. Just search this site, you will find more than enough information on it.
    ms

3. DansAndDogs

DansAndDogs New Member

It would be hard for me to imagine a more messed up roof than mine. The dealer that I spoke to about repairing mine told me that there is very little risk of leaking inside due to the cracks. Same reason as posted above.....very dense foam as inside layer. In fact, the dealer told me that he has replaced roofs with literally gallons of water trapped between the two layers and no leaks inside.
    Danny

4. Orion

Orion Member

you would think with that much water it would be hard to crank up and down... well up anyway. [;)]

Orion