Do I need Brakes?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by wmgeorge, Sep 9, 2019.

1. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

In all my towing years 50 or so I have had only one trailer come loose and that was my stupid, I did not latch the hitch lever!!!!!'
    The safety chains caught it in the X like they were suppose too and I was able to get it connected.... the right way. This trailer is so lightweight I did not even think I was towing anything. My pickup has disk brakes all around.
    Oh and now I see its in the new recall, time to visit the dealer for the reprogramming.

2. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

My trailer did have the backing plates and I think it was about $250 all in for a complete kit with the break away as well (which I admit I never hooked up). It was a half a day of easy work to put them on. My braking distance with the trailer is shorter than without. It has saved me a time or two in a panic stop when someone does something stupid. Immediately after putting them on I had to do a panic stop and my wife and I both looked at each other, knowing that previous to adding the brakes, I never would have gotten it stopped in time.

3. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Boy you said it about the cops .I am a retired over the road truck driver and I had my share of ideot cops . In Tennessee I was pulling a brand new trailer with a new tractor and had to stop for an inspection. The cop wrote my trailer up for the brake lines rubbing . It just came from the factory that morning, I was the one that picked it up . I just had to turn the paper work in at the terminal,but that shows you what you are saying about some of them .

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

People win the lottery and the odds are not in their favor. Chances are your pup is either very close or over 2000lbs once loaded and ready to camp.

5. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

So you know more than the people who made the trailer?
    Its listed dry weight is 1635 lbs, even adding the battery and propane tank its going to be at perhaps 1725 lbs.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Not sure how you pack and what you take camping but we do take chairs, stove etc and load that into the camper. You also need to check, what's included in the dry weight. Some manufacturers use the bare bones weight ie no ridge, AC and any other ad dons.

7. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Its a PU camper, I carry any extras in the back of my truck.

Minimalist likes this.
  8. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 7.34.41 AM.png

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Our camper’s dry weight is about the same. Ready to camp it’s approximately 1,800 lbs. Trailer weights are one of the more contentious issues on this forum. The manufacturer didn’t put breaks on your trailer because your trailer doesn’t need them.

10. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Agreed, even with the AC I doubt if exceeds that number. Yes I know what a AC weighs, I used to repair them and it was an easy fix.
    Yes I regret posting that Question,

gladecreekwy likes this.