do i need brakes??

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Beninden, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Beninden

Beninden New Member

I just posted this in the prepurchase area, but though it might belong here... sorry for the duplicate.

I'll be picking up a Flagstaff 206LTD in a couple of weeks. It does not have brakes, weighs in at 1430lbs dry. I'll be pulling it with a Land Rover Discovery that is well geared. My question is, should I consider adding brakes since we live in CO and do a lot of mtn travel. I previously pulled at Teardrop that was 1020lbs dry, without any trouble, but I'm adding almost 50% more weight. Also, what should I expect to pay...ballpark, for brakes and controller.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Beninden,

As long as your TOTAL trailer weight is under 2000 pounds your good to go. The Land Rover is capable of towing AT LEAST 5000 pounds total, the brakes on the LR is fine to haul that little of weight without brakes installed. If you find that going down mountains and you feel the trailer "PUSH" you a bit harder than usual, then I would get electric brakes, but for now I would not worry about it.

07 Chevy Trailblazer
    07 Fleetwood Niagra
    (2) Hobie Adventure Kayaks
    (1) Hobie Outback
    (1) Pungo 120
    (1) Pungo 100

3. scmozley

scmozley New Member

As my entry to the PUP world, I'm trying to decide between a new Fleetwood Yuma with standard electric brakes and a new Rockwood 1980 without brakes. They weigh about the same "dry," under 1600 lbs., but that doesn't count the extras loaded on (especially the Rockwood) - A/C, furnace, full water tank (20 gal. on Rockwood), outside grill, refrigerator, and two general use bicycles with rack. I will be using a V6 Toyota Highlander as TV, rated 3500 lbs. I'm leaning toward the Rockwood - it is more comfy and has more extras for a lower price, but adding the brakes to the Rockwood would presumably require swapping axles - a really big (and probably expensive) job. We will do a little mountain climbing in the southern Appalachians, but nothing off road. As expected, the Rockwood salesman assures me we have plenty of power - "just allow more time to stop" he says. My brother-in-law had a heavy old 12' two-axle Jayco for nearly ten years, pulled it all over Michigan with a Dodge Caravan, and never felt unsafe. Would I be taking a significant risk to tow without brakes on this relatively light Rockwood PUP?

Sam Mozley

4. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I just got the rockwood 1980 with the optional brakes. It is a great camper, espeacially the "lounge". Brakes are available as a option. Can he order you one with it? perhaps another dealer would have one with. Although they might not be "necessary" according to your salesman. You don't always have the option of leaving yourself a little extra room. There cheap insurance and your toyotas brakes will last longer also.
    The 1980 is a great choice, just find one with the brake option checked off.
    check out my photos of our rockwood.

any other ?'s just ask...

Chris

01 f-150
    07 Rockwood 1980,
    The official vehicle of the Camping Collies.
    64 Mercury Comet

Happy To Be The Wondering Wanderer...
    ...as long as I end up with sand in my toes

5. Maggadog

Maggadog New Member

Do you need brakes? First stop is your local Motor vehicle department. Many states require brakes on any trailer over some pre set weight weight. It varies from state to state.
    Many times the limit is 1500 pounds. "Dry or Wet weight" does not matter.

6. scmozley

scmozley New Member

Thanks for the heads up on legal requirements. Y'all are on the spot! I have been told by several sources that my state has a limit of 2000 lbs., and that that refers to dry weight, but I will follow your advice and check with Motor Vehicles. As for finding or ordering a Rockwood with the optional brakes, there don't seem to be many Rockwood PUP dealers in central and eastern N.C., and those don't stock many units. We haven't found another 1980 anywhere within 200 miles of Raleigh. The wait for special order seems to be 6 weeks a more in this season, a little too long for our summer travel plans, especially considering the need for some practice runs before we head out.

Sam Mozley

7. mercman

I don't know if this helps but this is where I got mine. They do ship units also.
    http://www.rvone.com/newspecials.asp

01 f-150
    07 Rockwood 1980,
    64 Mercury Comet

8. scmozley

scmozley New Member

Thanks! I see they offer the one we are interested in, but Albany's a long ways off and not anywhere near our summer travel routes.

Sam Mozley

9. denverd0n

denverd0n New Member

Roberts Sales in Denver ( http://www.robertssales.com/index.html ) deals in Flagstaffs and will install brakes on an axle for you if you decide you want one. I bought my PUP from them and they seem like decent people to deal with.

10. Beninden

Beninden New Member

Hey all,

Just chiming back in. We live in Denver, but drove to Davenport, IA to get our trailer.

We originally were getting a Flagstaff 206LTD, and paid $600 for the brakes to be added. After some switching around we ended up moving to a 227 with brakes for only $800 more. Total price was in the 6K area.
    Making it equal to Roberts price, for the 206.

The further you get from Indiana, the more expensive they generally become primarily due to the enormous shipping costs.

The company we dealt with was Cheyenne Camping Center...

http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com/

'69 Ben, '67 Paula '99 Nick, '01 Chris
    '01 Landrover Discovery
    '07 Forest River Flagstaff 227

http://web.mac.com/williamsmaster/iWeb/Site

Edited by - Beninden on April 27 2007 12:09:10

11. scmozley

scmozley New Member

Thanks, all. My issue is resolved. After reading your advice and suggestions, we decided to go with a new Fleetwood with brakes already installed. The Rockwood could have been back-fit by a Raleigh hitch installer for the $500-600 mentioned above, but that would have raised the PUP price that much above the (somewhat less fully equipped) Fleetwood. FYI, N.C. allows trailers up to 3000 lbs without brakes, but I am happy with our decision to be on the safe side. One factor was that we plan to take several very long trips towing it, some over 1200 miles and through mountains.

Sam Mozley

12. mercman

Congratulations, Fleetwood makes a impressive camper. Post some pics when you get it. What model did you end up with?

Chris

01 f-150
    07 Rockwood 1980,
    64 Mercury Comet