Do I need to store my popup indoors during the winter?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by henrywil22, Sep 29, 2010.

1. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

I have never store a popup indoors during the winter but my family is telling i me I should. I have a camplight now and am wondering if that is good advice in a cold/wet winter?

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

If I could, I would. However with a little help it should do fine outside over winter. I'll put a tarp on mine, just to eliminate any snow/ice issues.

3. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

I would think that it would certainly last longer. Particularly in your part of the country. I keep mine in the garage year around and it's over thirteen years old and is in excellent shape. If possible, I would keep it under some form of protection that you can control the atmosphere so to speak. [2C]

4. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

Our pup stayed great for years when we kept it in the garage in Virginia. When we moved to Florida we had to keep it outside and it deteriorated quickly. We had mold and mildew, roaches, mice, etc. When we get our next one, it will be garage kept, even if we have to keep the tractor outside. [SUN]

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have kept ours outside for the past 4 years, no problems to this point. Being kept outside just meens a little more prep work when closing it up for its long winter nap. Like placing bounce sheets in every cupboard/storage area, under the cushions. Placing a piece of cardboard (or wood) at the fridge and water heater openings, Taking a roll of 2 inch wide foil tape and taping the roof to body seam area (to keep out the blowing snow that'll find its way in no mater how good of seal there is), tape the door frame seal area, Anti-freeze the water system, remove the propane tank (and cover), spare tire (and cover), remove the battery, remove the awning and lastly, lube the plug and wrap it in a plastic bag.

all in all takes us about 4 hrs to winterize and prep the trailer for the winter.

6. eroyle

eroyle Member

Ours is garage kept and still looks like we brought it home from the dealer yesterday. It will last longer and would recommend it if you have the space.

Happy camping!

7. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

Ours stays covered in the garage too.... Protected by a vicious cat! Never a problem with mice with Mr Whiskers keeping track of it! We get some pretty heavy snow here in lake effect snow country...I would not want that weight on the PUP...
    Still looks new as the day we bought it!
    Tom