Do I need trailer brakes?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by disneysandi, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

My $.02

Electric breaks are worth the money, if you ever get a big sway while towing a little bump to the manual control will settle the trailer down nicely (probably not recomended for the inexpierenced). You will be fine towing home without ebrakes, but whenever you are towing with or without breaks, you should ALWAYS leave lots of room between you and the vehicle in front of you. Even with my breaks, my pup can push me around pretty good under heavy breaking. So please leave lots of room, dont let people behind you pressure you into going faster or following to close and always expect the unexpected.

I think you are looking at a nice rig and for $2k it looks very clean, check the roof and floor for soft spots and the canvas for mold, after that all the rest is up to what you find when you inspect it. Enjoy your new rig, its all about building memories and getting back to nature... and have fun.

2. rayzab

rayzab New to the PUP

My [2C]

I installed ebrakes on our 2002 Starcraft 2112 today.

We purchased the pup on Monday of this week and after hauling it 220 miles home with our Tahoe with the trailer package, I thought "this thing needs brakes!"

It was an easy install for the moderately handyman/gal.

The dealer quoted $750, i did it for about $225, including bearing buddies.

Good luck and happy camping.

3. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Where did you get the parts? My son said he will do it but I thought the parts on etrailer were like $500.

4. rayzab

rayzab New to the PUP

I got everything i needed from etrailer:

(2) 10" Hub/Drum assembly 84546UC3
    (1) 10" Nev-R-Adjust LH brake assembly 23-468
    (1) 10" Nev-R-Adjust RH brake assembly 23-469

Also, make sure to add the nuts and lock washers to your order, they are not included with the brake assemblies for some reason.

These totaled $201.80, shipping was free and fast.

5. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Thanks.

6. rayzab

rayzab New to the PUP

I forgot to mention that I already had a brake controller.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would suggest that before you order parts, that the spindle size be confirmed to get the correct drums and bearings.

8. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

What is the spindle size?

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I knew that was coming. :) :) :) :).
    The tire/wheel/hub mounts onto the end of the axle( which is the bar going from one side to the other). At the ends of the axles the bearings and seal slide onto it, this is the spindle part.. On anyone's new to them PUP the first time they repack/replace the bearings the spindle should be measured for the correct parts. Look at the first chart of this link, the measurement of c, d, e, are important. With this info you can confirm what size axle you have, what bearings it takes, and what seal it take. With this info you can order the correct hub/drums.
    http://www.championtrailers.com/spindles_n_parts.html
    Sometimes measuring something round like the spindle can be tricky. I suggest to just cut a notch in an index card with the correct measurement and just slide it over the spindle. It is easier to measure the notch on the paper than the spindle. Hope this helps. Ray

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

or instead of cutting an index card and trying to fit over the axle, you could just measure the inside diameter of the bearings

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Its a shame that my posts keep getting corrected. It is happening a lot lately.

12. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

OK, I am lost. I will show this to my son and let him deal with it. [RTM]

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

When your son has a half hour to do it, we will walk him through it. He will need a jack to get the wheel off the ground and a pair of slip joint/water pump pliers to take the hub off and then back on. Piece of cake.

14. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Sandi, I think its just a few days until you pick it up! I am getting excited for you. Seems like you have everything in order :) Post up some pictures when you can :)

15. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Sandi, and anyone else who is the diy type. Another site to check out for axle info is www.dexteraxle.com . You can download all kind of info about brakes, bearings, axles, running gear, weight distribution and much more. When I was looking at my first pup, the one I was looking at had a bent spindle and I was studying up to find out what it would take to fix it or replace it. We ended up buying the one I did for twice the price, but at least it would roll and pop up.

16. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Thanks guys. I will let him know. I got my hitch installed today. I will post pics as soon as I get it.