Do leave your camper for extended periods?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by markzrt1, Oct 28, 2017.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

As others have said we would leave our campsite for hours at a time. We usually took phones, etc. with us and locked the door and never had a problem.

Call me naive, but I choose to believe that most folks who camp are good people. Most would keep an eye out for something out of the ordinary. Our experience is that even the party types that everyone complains about (especially on holidays) aren't trouble makers. They seem content to drink, argue and listen to the radio too loud. [:)C]

2. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

I regularly leave the popup unattended for hours or even a full day at a time. Mine doesn't lock at all but I've never had an issue with theft or vandalism.

I'll put medium-value items such as my camp stove and my nice chair inside the pup where they're out of sight (Leaving a cheap crappy bag chair outside for anyone to take [:D]) and then locking valuable items such as my iPad in my truck.

3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Every time we have camped we've left the camper for an extended period of time. More than once, I have left the camper for a night when an emergency called me back home too. In any case, as someone else has said. "It keeps the honest people out." Being said, some camper keys will open many other campers. My S-l-L's camper key will open a couple of his friends campers and visa-versa.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I leave it all the time. I do close and lock the exterior door. It in turn prevents the main door from opening. I find most campgrounds tend to be pretty good. I hear more about stuff waking away in remote camping or at really packed events like Nascar.

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Many hours. I travel with these 2 beauties in my HTT, one by the window and the other greets you when you open the door. At times I leave the TV on when I'm out

[​IMG]

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

That'd creep me out... ;)

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I bring cash when I go camping. I usually hide it in the camper under my tool box in a cabinet. Last time I hid it under the refrigerator instead and forgot. When we got back from being gone all day I thought someone stole all our vacation money, $800. It took me a long 15 minutes to remember it was under the fridge.

HotelRoyale likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We go camping to explore a region, so staying in the campground all day has not been our habit. (I do stay in camp more these days, since I can't backpack or hike to the extent DH does.) As long time tent campers, by the time we had our first popup, we were used to keeping valuables in the TV, and putting chairs, etc. away in the tent vestibule. We are often out exploring all day, and securing things is for weather as well as for theft precautions.
    The pup is really just a tent on wheels, so laptops and such were usually in the TV when not in camp. If we were walking in the campground or something, I'd just stash my Kindle under a bunch of stuff. An opportunistic thief will probably not take the time to look through much, as determined one will find most anything.
    We do usually lock the TT door when we leave, and the laptop is usually inside, again stashed unless in use. Some of that is security, some is just habit, so things are routine.
    We usually stashed chairs under the bunk end with the popups. Now I slide them under the TT, which isn't as handy. Our tables so stay out, we may move them around, or we set up an area under one of our canopies, where the tables and chairs usually stay. (Some of that depends on how long we're camped, what the weather is, and so on - we can experience high winds.)
    Another section you may want to look through is: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/campsite-security-safety.149/

9. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

We plan on being away from our camper for many hours at a time when we vacation with our pop-up. Think 10 hours a day some days. We are totally okay with it. We will lock our tablets up in the truck and hope no one needs our personal items while we are away. As tent campers, we have found campers don't typically intrude on other campers sites. We would hope that would continue with pop-ups!

10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Over years of camping, I cannot remember worrying about theft from a campsite. That being said, portable electronics travel with us in the tv and are not left out in the open.

11. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I always make a point of stowing high dollar items in the TV, lock my door (only keeps the kids and honest people out) and I'm usually gone before dawn and back after dusk taking my photographs. The first thing I always do though is make friendly with my neighbors, unwritten rule that as campers we watch one another's sites for "unknowns"...lol

12. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I was in shock because I thought you meant you left your Towing Vehicle running while you were gone. We don't camp with a television so I wasn't even thinking on that level lol.

13. tfischer

Usually we go camping for weekends where we lounge around the site, and possibly go on a day trip biking or some such. I try to keep things mostly out of sight but never worry about theft (high dollar things like iPhones and such get locked away or taken with)

Next summer we plan on a couple nonstandard (for us) trips: one to the Black Hills, where we intend the campsite to be more of a hotel room than a camping experience, and one to a 4th of July destination where I suspect a lot of people who don't normally camp will be. In both cases we'll be off-site for more hours than usual. What I plan to do is create a couple of under-bunk skirts that we can fasten around the bunk ends. That way I can pile things like the stove, grill, etc under there out of sight. Of course it isn't secure at all, but eliminates the opportunist who sees something from the road and grabs it, vs someone who would actually rummage through your stuff looking for something to steal.

14. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

TV vs TV, AC vs AC, I wish we could standardize this

15. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

I leave mine as well. I have an a-frame camper that is a little more difficult to break into without being noticed. I do not bother locking the coupler as most locks are bogus and your chains can still be used instead of a hitch. We used our camper as a hotel last march when we went to Corpus Christi to visit family -- we left it quite a bit in that instance. I did buy chock locks though. Even though you can still defeat the chock locks, when in a busy state park it is going to be difficult putting the effort in to getting them off (grinder or torch) without being noticed.

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You just told the whole internet where you keep your money.:shocked:

17. tfischer

Haha. Now let's go find him! :)

18. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

We also usually leave the camper most days to explore the area. We lock the door, but that just keep honest people honest. No valuables in the camper. Those are in the TV locked up. We use a tongue lock and also a tire locking chock. The circuit to the motor to put the roof down is off with a locking switch.
    Again... just making it more difficult to steal - not impossible.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yea, my wife and I just close the stepper door and lock it. we keep our valuables out of sight. Never had any trouble with thefts. If it did, we just buy another one.

20. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

There is this also