Do leave your camper for extended periods?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by markzrt1, Oct 28, 2017.

1. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'm sure your campground neighbors will love that when you're gone all day :)

Yak likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Do you think under the fridge is a good spot? I worry more about the TV being broken into than the camper. When we are out doing things the TV will be parked in a parking area. Especially if you are out hiking, thieves would know that you are going to be gone a long time.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  3. Mr_Toad

Mr_Toad New Member

I have never worried... mainly as there always seems to be some nice older blue haired ladies sitting around chatting and watching the wind 24 x 7 in campgrounds. lol and they will watch everything, everyone... I always say Hi when we arrive...

Also, we actually also make it a point to have go-bags, which is where the phone, tablet and any important things (including cords and chargers) go for each of us on a trip, that makes it easier in the transition between TV and Pop every time we go somewhere or arrive.
    We don't have television or big electronics, after all, we are camping.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We always leave the pup alone. I dont lock anything because if they steal anything it give me a reason to upgrade. I have even left it setup 3 hours away on a mountain in VT for a week because there was monsoon type rain on the day we had to leave. Thankfully mother nature didn't kill it while we were gone & we were "forced to go back for another weekend to retrieve it". The only thing That I have lost when leaving it unoccupied was a small 1980's radio. I was able to upgrade it with a free BoomBox of the same vintage from a fellow camper that felt bad for us.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I leave it all the time. Money goes with me, shotgun (if brought along) goes with me, and basically all valuables go with me. However, it might just be fun if I ever came back and found someone inside my trailer. :D
    But I have never had anyone enter, while I was gone. This I know for sure.

However, I now make sure all the windows are closed due to mother nature pulling a fast one when I made a quick trip into Red Lodge MT once for food after setting up. No clouds when I left, but getting out of the truck in the parking lot in Red Lodge reminded me, mountains hide clouds. Big black ones coming over the mountains and yes, it poured. Lucky it was basically straight down so the water entered into the vent in the center of the trailer; hardly any via the windows.

When I got home, I installed those covers for the vents.

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I have seen and heard of way more theft from parked vehicles than campers. Only takes a second to smash a side window, and if you are skinny and slide or reach in without opening the door, the alarm will not sound. My long-time hunting and fishing buddy is a veteran police detective, and that is his biggest outdoor activity worry. He has a bolted-in steel safe under the back SUV seat for valuables.

Fbird likes this.
  7. Nicole721

Nicole721 Member

We're in the same mindset, lock the door and leave for the entire day. I am more concerned when non-camping trip and we have luggage in our car and stop someplace and having someone easily break into the car (especially when it's a rental) and steal our luggage. You never know what sort of riffraff is having around the tourist attractions but at the campsite, I feel safer.

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Yes, we spend a lot of the day out and about Fishing, Scuba Diving, Hiking or just enjoying the CG. Sometimes we'll travel to other areas nearby like when we're at Manatee Springs SP we'll head up to Fanning Springs SP or down to Cedar Key for the day. Oh we do lock up the camper but the stuff outside has NEVER been touched...that's one of the wonderful things about the other campers at the parks they watch out for each other.

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Many times. As others have stated, campers are, by and large, a good group of honest people. So far (knock on wood), we've never lost anything. Like most of you, we take the phones with us; we don't have very many other items of value when we're camping.

I lock the tongue when I arrive just because I don't want to risk it being stolen, no matter if I'm at the bathhouse, gone for a 6 hour paddle or sleeping all snug and warm when they hook up. It's just good prudence. Someone said they could tow it by the chains; that's why I stretch the chains back through the a-frame of the tongue and lock them together. If you're REALLY worried about someone stealing it, just pass a chain through the tire rim and lock it back onto itself over the axle. They'd have to cut the chain to move it.

Many of you mentioned locking the stepper door while you're gone. I've noticed that opportunity and considered doing it, but I'd rather not advertise that I'm going to be gone for that long. I'd rather leave a chair or two out as if I'm just gone to the bath house, than to lock the stepper door and make it look like I'm going to be gone a long time. I treat the bag of charcoal or a towel or two the same. If I make a point of cleaning up, it looks too obvious that the site is empty. I like the "lived in look" (without being sloppy, of course). It would be much longer before someone realizes I'm gone for a long time if they have to figure it out by observation, rather than the immediate suggestion of the locked stepper door and all the chairs put away. We try to be discreet about those sort of things.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    myride likes this.
  10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

In 38+ years of camping, I've only had a cooler full of beer turn up missing, then magically the cooler returned a day or so later.....empty. Hey, at least they were nice enough to give my cooler back....lol

CheekyRunner and Orchid like this.
  11. f5moab

Are you actually afraid that someone might hookup and tow your vehicle away while you are sleeping in it?:eek:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Halford likes this.
  12. BelchFire

Stranger things have happened (to Richard Pryor). :)

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

For that to happen, the popup has to be set down... too long for thieves' taste.

14. f5moab

NO it does not. I have seen people move a popup while it is popped up around a campground. In once case at Redfish Lake, they used the chains. In another case in WY, they had, what looked like a one-foot; extension to the hitch.

15. BelchFire

I've actually done this myself (I would NOT recommend it).

Guys, my initial comment was tongue-in-cheek. Have a laugh...

16. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I left ours all day and even a overnight trip where after a night of drinking i decided that me and wife will just grab a room at the main strip instead of driving on a friends only trip.

if it is around 8 hrs our dog is inside, she is very quite but at 80 lbs is quite protective of the family stuff. He is only 2 and as long as she gets her excerise will chill inthe camper.

17. f5moab

You leave your dog in a popup? What happens if he barks all day while you are gone and there are people in the campground?

18. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Hey Jack...it happened to Si Robertson on Duck Dynasty.

jnc likes this.
  19. BelchFire

[:D] [:D] [:D]

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have left our camper for several days and never had an issue. I was given two locks for the hitch a ball and pin lock. Never used either. I should start using them. But have never had an issue.