Do leave your camper for extended periods?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by markzrt1, Oct 28, 2017.

1. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Probably a lot of strange things happen to those folk.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Four hours is not an extended period. We're often gone all day.

If the concern is valuables, those could be gone in under five minutes. But that's not a very common occurrence in campgrounds.

We've gotten in the habit of just not bringing anything valuable aside from tablets, and those travel with us when we leave the PUP behind. I used to lock the PUP, but have stopped doing so, because I figure anyone wanting to get in will just cut through the fabric, and fixing that will cost more than buying a new frying pan or whatever it is they decide to steal. Fortunately neither of those scenarios have ever played out. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I guess you could put a motion sensor inside the trailer that can be armed by key fob. Then if someone intrudes a lot of noise will be made, which should deter casual opportunists.

This is not terribly different from leaving a boat at a marina. I've had a sailboat at a marina for twenty years. I usually do padlock its cabin hatch, but not with a heavy lock. In 20 years at the marina I did once have an outboard get stolen. Insurance covered it. It happened while the boat was out of the water sitting on a trailer waiting for some bottom paint. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that something bad can happen. But campers (and sailors) are generally respectful of others' property.

The moral: You can't prevent theft if you leave things unattended. Theft doesn't happen often. Carry insurance. Go enjoy your trip.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Most campgrounds specifically say you can't do this....

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Why address me with a quote? Believe me, I know you are not supposed to leave your dog in a trailer in most campgrounds. Best to address the person I was questioning!

5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

It was just adding to your comment. Not saying you do....

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Always. Most times we are gone much longer than that, sometimes as much as 12-14 hours. Never had a problem.

7. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

I leave the camper unattended regularly ... I just don't leave anything in it that is worth much, a laptop and my wallet are the two items that come with me when I leave the popup. I've had more problems with critters getting into food supplies than thieves taking valuables ... Public Enemy #1: Raccoons! [:O)]

8. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

we do lock it, don't have anything of value in it though. Have never had a problem