Do most Pups have 4x4" bolt pattern?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by davekro, Sep 6, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Do most Pups have 4x4" bolt pattern? (mine does)
    Do diff. brands randomly vary between 4 & 5 lug patterns?
    Do smaller Pups all or mostly use 4 bolt, but when a Pup gets to 'X' GVWR, they all pretty much go to 5 lugs (higher capacity)?

I am considering changing my 12" white steel wheels to HWT 12" aluminum wheels and want to know if we decided to upgrade say to a 12' box with a slide out down the road, what is the likelyhood I could use my 12" 4x4" wheels on the new(er) Pup? I'm guessing this larger trailer's GVWR might be 500+ lbs higher than my current Pup's 2200 GVWR. Would a higher cap. axle likely use a 5 lug pattern AND a 13" wheel?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I see more 5 lug than 4, especially on bigger trailers.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My Flagstaff 625D (slideout) has 5 lug 13" wheels. I run St175/80 tires.
    The current tires are 5 years old and starting to show signs of sidewall wear even though the tread looks perfect. We just finished a 1800 mile trip without problems but I have 5 trips planned the next couple of months and they are all on 2 lane roads through the Ozarks, meaning there is no shoulder to pull over if there is a blow out. I have several sets in my Amazon cart and will decide which ones to buy over the next couple days

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Usually axles with less than 3K capacity will use 4x4. 3500 pound axles usually will have 5 x 4.5 13 inch or larger rims to clear the 10 brake drums.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

My itsy bitsy 2,000 lb dexter axle has 5 bolts. :)

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I think older trailers tend to have the 4 bolt pattern. Both of my pre-90s campers used 4.80x8 tires with a 4 bolt pattern. My last pup and current pup use a 5 bolt tire that is significantly larger. Wears better too.

7. davekro

davekro Member

Thanks all for the info. I think I’ll take Sjm’s advice and run these for a season and think about the decision to replace tire and rims next season. Good to know a 4 bolt wheel purchase now would likely not be transferable if we decided to upgrade to a larger pup next season and wanted to swap the wheel investment.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Another option may be to replace the hubs if that would be cheaper than replacing the wheels. I.e. you could swap the hubs on your current pup to one with 5 lugs then future proof your wheels.

9. davekro

davekro Member

I never thought of this possibility. Thanks for the idea. I probably will still hold off until next season, but good to know if my OCD wins out, I have this option. I found a few links for anyone curious of how this would work, as I was.
    Change hubs from 4 to 5 lug, YouTube!

Amazon 5 bolt hub kits ≈ $60
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5+bolt+t...322240&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_3az226f0rb_e
    Amazon 5 bolt hub kits w/ new electric brakes ≈ $140
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5+bolt+trailer+hub+and+electric+brake+kit&ref=nb_sb_noss

Big thanks for the idea Rusty.

Rusty2192 likes this.