Do we need an upgraded axle? Fleetwood Niagara

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by SPopupFamily, Jun 8, 2014.

1. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

We bought our NTU 2007 Fleetwood Niagara for really cheap. We have taken it out once and love it. We didn't research before hand and didn't realize we only get 600 lbs of cargo including water. I've been searching the internet and found that the axle they put on this PUP isn't ideal for the trailer weight and people are having major issues. We are supposed to take it on a long trip to the Oregon cost this summer and I am really nervous about having issues on the road. Obviously we'll get the tires looked at before we go, but would it be worth putting a bigger axle on it? Any idea how much something like that costs? I know we'd have to buy the axle, springs, new stabilizers because of the height change, etc. Anyone have any insight or advice?

Thank you!

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Confused a bit, so correct me where I go wrong on what it is your doing. You want to spend a lot of money to fix a problem that you have seen no evidence of there being a problem and the potential problem only manifests itself if you put over 600 pounds of stuff in your camper. 15 lbs of sleeping bags, 20 lbs of clothes, 20 lbs of food, 240lbs of water, 38lb propane tank, 54 lb battery [?:~{]

3. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I understand what you are saying. I think the problem is we don't want to be limited on the amount of stuff we can pack in the PUP. We also want to put our bikes on top, etc. The thought of "maxing" out that axle and driving 1200 miles is making my husband very, very nervous.

4. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

And like I said, we didn't research it. We just saw it for $4k and snagged it up. :)

5. carlmyatt

carlmyatt Nothing like the great outdoors

By not adding the water till you get there a savings of a extra 240 lbs you can have for extra items .I only add the water to mine when I get to my destation .and empty it before I set out again .

6. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Oh - and for a weekend trip the above weights are doable. But for a 10 day trip to the coast with twin toddlers, you have a lot of "stuff" to bring. Hell, I will have more than 20lbs of clothes for just me. :)

7. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

That is our plan, but we'll fill the extra 240lbs back in the trailer with our "stuff", so we'll still be maxed out. Guess I'm just wondering if driving that far on maxed out axles is asking for trouble. We are still new at this. :)

8. Phranc

Phranc New Member

You have to understand that the PUP is not a cargo trailer. Upgrading the axle doesn't upgrade the chassis. Besides, I don't think you will find room in the PUP to store much more than 600 lbs.

9. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Good point. I think we need to pack it how we would take it and then go weigh it to see how heavy it is.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

You really need to think about what your packing! We have been on multiple long trips (17+ days) and we have never packed that much stuff!!!

The most I figure is about 400 pounds total! I cannot imagine bring 600+ pounds of stuff???

There is a lot of stuff you can buy along the way. Food and drinks are one of them! No reason to bring 10 days worth of food with you.

Phranc said it well, "the pup is not a cargo trailer"!

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Forgot to say that we only pack 5-8 days worth of clothes! At most campgrounds they have laundry facilities. This is how we plan a trip, this is because we do not want to pack 20+ pounds of clothes for each one of us!

Oh yeah, we don't pack blue jeans either. Too heavy and we will pack hiking pants and hiking shorts. You know the quick drying ones. Very light material.

12. tsc

tsc Member

Look on the inside of the cupboard doors. There should be a sticker on one of them. It will tell you the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC). On mine, it has water (fresh water tank and water heater) and propane tank (just one, so I need to compensate for the 2nd one) calculated in, so it doesn't come into my "CCC".

Here is an example (page 15 --page 20 of the pdf file)

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=2970

13. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I guess I'm going on the assumption that we have more weight in cargo than we really do. Maybe what I think is 600lbs is only 300lbs! :)

Thanks for all the advice. We'll pack it like we want it for our trip and then go weigh in and see where we are.

14. shfd739

shfd739 Member

You'll be fine. The way space is in a pup with it closed for travel limits how much stuff can be placed inside. I doubt you'll add more than 300lbs in cargo. No reason to travel with water if you can connect to a water supply or fill your tank at the campground.

Running at or near max weight is fine. Make sure the wheel bearings are greased/set properly, tires are good and have enough capacity and the trailer brakes are adjusted/working properly and you're fine

15. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

This was perfect! Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you, thank you!

16. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Apparently my incredulousness that you would even think you would have 600lbs of "stuff" to put in your camper or that you would even think of doing it did not convey over the interweb [:O]

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

My experience and observations have been exactly the opposite. Most people seem to dramatically underestimate the weight of the stuff they put in their TVs and trailers. Here's some more "bad news" for you: The cargo capacity is based on the difference between "dry weight" and max load capacity. Dry weight was the trailer as it came from the factory. It doesn't include propane, battery, awning or anything else that is considered an option. So the weight of those things (probably around 100 pounds total) comes out of your cargo capacity.

I recommend that you take a long, hard look at every item you want to take. You can definitely limit clothing. It's never necessary to take a lot of clothing, even on a long trip, because you can stop and wash it at laundromats. You can also limit food because you can buy it along the way. Skip all of the "it might be nice to have" stuff, too. Only bring that which you know you must use every single day.* Weigh everything that you want to take to get a real-world figure so you know if you are OK or not on cargo. You absolutely do not want to overload the PUP. That can damage tires and the axle.

*Except basic tools and a first aid kit. You must have those even though you hope that you will not use them at all.

18. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't like the fact that his trailer isn't sitting level after the change.

20. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

This is the exact blog post that lead us to thinking about making some changes to the axle. One good (or bad) thing about our PUP is we have no awning and no a/c. Our goal is to store bedding and light weight stuff in the PUP, everything else in the TV. I have already talked my husband out of bringing a lot of things. My parents are going too and not towing anything so we might make them haul something. :)