Do you believe? Part 2

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by PopUpSteve, May 23, 2006.

1. jake696

jake696 Member

I've never heard of kids being abducted either...odd huh?

2. emssmiley2002

emssmiley2002 Florence,Ms

You can always try the Drake equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation.
    Also Michio Kaku's Civilization class types there are 3, according to him we are about 100yrs from a class 1 Civ.
    I also take issue with the " We are the meanest or most violent species."
    I argue that we are the most successful species in history. Human: Intelligent, resourceful, extremely adaptable, able to alter the environment to suit itÂ’s own needs, able to completely dominate all other species. Has developed super-advanced tool-making abilities. Can live in all terrestrial locations including under the sea and in the air, and can even live in space and travel to other planets.

Likely to travel to the stars and plant the seeds of Earth throughout the Universe. [:D]

3. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Uh, I camped next to you.

OK, on second thought, you might be right [;{}].

4. Mrs337

Mrs337 New Member

I believe in Unidentified Flying Objects...but just don't think they are full of "little green men" ...or any of the typical mass mania type of logic behind them. I find that sort of thing fun to watch and listen to...but not taken too seriously. Same with "ghostly" encounters...fun to watch and listen and read about...but don't think the typical mass mania type of ideas about them. Reality is stranger than fiction...and can be more terrifying.

5. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I don't need to believe in UFO's because I've seen one - in broad daylight no less. I believe it was 1967 or 68 if memory serves me right (OK, I'm an old dude.) My family was heading south on the Lake Pontchatrain Causeway (then only one bridge) north of New Orleans. It was on a Sunday afternoon. The sun was low in the sky but had not set yet, so I recon it was around 5:00. We all saw a spherical object that was glowing orange and yellow, like the surface of the sun. It was first observed in the air to our west and slowly crossed over the bridge, at maybe 1,000 ft in elevation. After crossing over the bridge in front of us, it stopped and hovered for a few seconds about 1/2 mile from the bridge and decended straight down onto the lake's surface. Because of it's movement pattern and speed we thought it might be a burning helicopter - at least until it took off like a rocket! Initially, it rested on the lake like it was a hard surface - like you would place a ball on a table. Then slowly, over the course of several minutes it sunk into the lake until about 1/3 was immersed. Then, without noise or other warning it took off like a bottle rocket. If you weren't watching it when it took off, you would have missed it - it accelerated that fast. There was lots of traffic on the bridge that day, so I guess a couple hundred or so people probably witnessed it too. The next day there was an article in the paper attempting to explain it away as a weather balloon - yeah, right!

I've considered this sighting many times over the course of my life, trying to make sense of it. I've come to the conclusion that it is either one of two things - which one I'll never know.

1. Most likely it was some kind of atmospheric phenonom, like ball lightening. Possibly a huge ball of energy about 25-30ft in diameter from my estimation. I have come to this conclusion because nothing with mass could have accelerated that fast. The energy required would have been enormous, plus any living entity inside would have been squished to jelly, as it surely was pulling over a thousand gees. The closest thing I can compare it to is an artillery round fired out of a cannon - you can barely see it travel down range if you watch closely - but this thing was huge!

2. It could be an interstellar spacecraft with some type of inertialess drive far beyond any technology we possess. In other words, for this to have been the case, there would need to have been some type of device which reduced the inertia of the vehicle and occupants to almost nothing to survive this kind of acceleration. Incidentally, just such a device would be required to make interterstellar travel possible, due to the enormous distances required. You could not carry enough reactionary mass, let alone energy to accelerate this mass, to travel such vast distances, even with a nuclear powered inertial propulsion system. The more reactionary mass carried, the more inertia you have to overcome to propel it. That's why the Saturn 5 rocket that put men on the moon was so huge - and it only needed to cary a small payload a microscopic distance in comparison to the almost unimaginable distances involved in interstellar travel.

Whether it was alien life from another world, humans from another time or dimension, or simply a natural phenomon that we simply don't understand yet, I have no idea. However this I can say without hesitation or doubt - UFO's are real. No belief is required on my part, as my family and hundreds of others watched one for over 5 minutes and saw it as plain as day.

Chip

6. JustJoe

JustJoe New Member

When I was in the Marine Corps and stationed at Camp Pendleton I was sent to be a Game Warden on the base. As a Game Warden we could go anywhere at anytime on the Base. One night while on patrol down on the beach with my partner I saw a military Jeep, Before the Humvee's came out, I called back to the office to find out if they were doing any kind of training or if this guy was just out joy riding. They called back and said that there was no training going on in the area. So I took off after this Jeep down on the Beach area. Well the Military Jeep can go as fast as 45 MPH. As I gave chase in a 1977 Dodge Power Wagon my first thought was to stop this guy. As I was chasing him I noticed that I was doing 65MPH on the beach, then I looked down and noticed that there were no tire tracks on the hard sand from the Jeep, but the was a track from my truck that I could see in the rearview mirror.

I called of the chase and the Jeep disappeared. I headed back to the office and when I walked in one of the SGT's that had been there for years, he looked at me and asked me if I had chased a Jeep out on RED Beach. I told him yes and then he told me everything I did to the exact detail and I said YES. Then he told me that there was a young Marine that was killed down there in a Jeep and from time t time one of the guys fem the unit chases him don and never catches him.

I will never forget that night.

7. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Unidentified? Yes. Believe in life in outer space? No.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Consider the total number of stars in the galaxy and the total number planets around them and then figure that 99.99% of those planets do not have any life on them. Then figure that of the remaining ones that do have life, 99.99% of them have life that is not intelligent. After that, the number left is still so huge that statistically (and pardon my poor grammar) there can't NOT be intelligent life out there. Then of course, remember that our Milky Way galaxy is only one of billions of galaxies in the universe.

Time is another important dimension. The earth is less than five billion years old while the universe is 13.5 billion years old. There has been plenty of time for millions of intelligent races to evolve and develop space-faring technology. I don't "believe" anything without some proof or evidence but I will say that the odds are so overwhelming that it is almost a certainty that alien life exists and that much of it posses technology far beyond ours. It is not at all unreasonable to suggest that some of them have been here.

As for seeing things that you can't understand or explain, remember what the writer Arthur Clarke said: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

9. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

What does a PUP that is 8 billion years more advanced look like? What option would they come with? Would Coleman be back by then? Or would there only be Winnebago left. [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I know for a certainty that we have among us beings from another planet. When I was a school teacher I had supervisors that could not possibly be from this planet.

11. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

Best advice for those on either side.
    "Argue with no true beliver."

12. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Hummm....I've seen some WOMEN that were OUT OF THIS WORLD!! Does that count???

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not quite the same thing. :)

14. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

I believe. The universe is so vast we cannot really comprehend its width and breadth. Sasquatch, ghosts, supernatural stuff there is things in this world that can't be explained. Heaven, hell, God and demons I also believe in. This is Faith.

15. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Reminds me of a couple quotes from Men In Black:

"Kay: All right, kid, here's the deal. At any given time there are approximately 1500 aliens on the planet, most of them right here in Manhattan. And most of them are decent enough, they're just trying to make a living.
    Jay: Cab drivers?
    Kay: Not as many as you'd think. "

and
    "Elle: Hey, Jay! Zed called. The high consulate from Solaxiant 9 wants floor seats for the next Bulls game.
    Jay: All right, let's put in a call to Dennis Rodman. He's from that planet.
    Elle: Rodman? You're kidding.
    Jay: Nope.
    Elle: Not much of a disguise. "

Chip

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

This is not an out of this world experience, but more like a presence!

My father in law passed away back in February of 2010. He was a great guy and he loved his cigars! The summer after he passed we were going on our big trip to Glacier NP. We had the pup setup in the driveway to pack it. A few times I came out of the pup I got a whiff of a cigar. I did not think much of it. After about the third trip out I smelled it again. I looked around and we had no fire in the backyard firepit. We don't live close enough to anyone to get these smells. So I told the DW, she came out and smelled it to, then she recognized the smell. It was a brand her father smoked. I have never had an experience of people that have passed on. That was the first time! It sent chills up and down my spine. After that I have experienced it a few more times and I always tell him to "Go on in the camper and relax"!!

17. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Some good stories and interesting information. I believe! Like others have said, the universe is to big not to.
    So who has more tales, stories or experiences?

18. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

I'm an engineer - at least that's what my sheepskin says - so you're expecting a hard-nosed rebuttal of the "I won't believe it unless you can prove it with hard science!" style.... So let me surprise you a little...

First, the statistical argument:

"Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
    Are moving at a million miles a day,
    In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
    Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars;
    It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;"

.. and among all those worlds in JUST ONE galaxy, how arrogant of us to suppose that we are the only life-form. (notice that I didn't say "intelligent life form" - that's a whole other argument!)
    Statistically, if there's just one in a million planets with life on them, that's still a good few million on which evolution has happened. Thus, I believe that, on statistics alone, it's almost impossible for us to be the only ones.

However, that's just space. Add in the fourth dimension, time (cue the Dr Who music..), and there's a good chance that our stellar neighbours could have crawled out of the swamp, evolved ten arms and fifteen legs, invented the underarm deodorant before the wheel and polluted themselves out of existence, while we were still learning to bang the rocks together... so while we might not be alone in space, we might be alone, or at least a long way off the beaten track, in time/space. They may already have been, and gone. Or they may arrive after we die out, and stand around kicking the dust, saying "I wonder who lived here? And why did they leave it in such a mess?"

Personally, I'm with Bill Waterson's "Calvin".. I still want to to carve out huge "Aliens Land Here!" signs in the snow. If we had snow, here in Florida...

I believe. I want to believe... please don't talk me out of it.
    I'm an old man, and I really, really want to shake hands (tentacles, pseudopodia or other appropriate rubbery/scaly bits) with a being from another world, while I still can.

I was born too soon to be out there riding the stars, seeking out strange new worlds... but I do so want them to come to seek me...

Ian.. The Man From Scotland

(Okay, how many different book and movie quotes did I get in there? :)

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Long story short, I'm very much a must see it to believe it. However I do have over an hours time lost on some back road in VA near some old civil war era graveyard.

Went ghost hunting

The group parked and chatted a bit.

I drove off with a buddy, we would head down a couple roads and look for ghosts on a particular corner, we maintained CB communication.

We left at 9:15pm or so, gone 30 minutes, and returned to the group just before 10pm by the time on the clock in my truck.

Everyone in the group was wondering where the heck we went. I said we were only gone a half hour. They said no it was over 1.5 hours... Me thinking they were messing with us and changed their clocks, and they thinking we were messing with them until we compared cell phone times... They were right we had been gone over 1.5 hours. (I don't remember the exact times now, but that is as far as I remember)

Still to this day I have absolutely no clue where that hour went. We were not drinking, no drugs (I was active duty Navy at the time). It is something that has bothered me over the past 15 years. Nothing bad, no weird anything after, no marks on me or the other guy, nothing other than a lost hour.

Now this is not a sighting, but it is unexplainable...

20. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

. . .this forum really has a way to bring up some interesting threads.
    I was 13 and my brother 10, living in Pompton Plains NJ. We were hearing about bright lights hovering above the Wanaque Reservoir nightly. My mom was really interested in America's space program and needed to check it out. She scooped us up over several nights and drove the 10-miles to the reservoir. We sat along the roadside with several other families, huddled in blankets, against the cold. Think of the scene along the roadway in Close Encounters of the Third Kind just before the helicopters came to -prove- there was nothing alien. But in Wanaque, the helicopters never came. For several nights, we enjoyed a festive affair with other families and friends. We would watch the white hovering circles begin to change to colors over top the surface of the frozen lake just before they rose out of sight. In the morning we would read about the perfect circles in the ice the following morning. It was really a BIG DEAL! Check out this web site: http://www.theufochronicles.com/2011/06/witness-to-wanaque-greastest-mass-ufo.html Also Google Wanaque Reservoir UFO for lots of info on probably one of the most documented and least recognized UFO sightings.
    Anyway, it really got crowded out there! The forth time we went to visit we were stopped by military personnel with a deuce and a half blocking the road turning ever one around. All the public roads to the reservoir were closed for the next few weeks.
    There were a lot of notable people making reports. The following night the skies over our homes, away from from the reservoir were lit up with a large white floating object with various colored tails, more ribbons actually, that drifted across several counties before slowly drifting toward the earth. Once the calls stated to the authorities, they stated that these were the same things everyone saw overtop the reservoir ---- but they were not. We were led to believe these were what we were seeing. After 22-years in the military I have seen replica flares that matched the public demo - but NEVER matched what we saw above the reservoir! Today I know the display was just a lame way to disguise what really happened overtop the reservoir. I've got goose pimples all over my body just writing this!
    I tried to get some of the TV shows to pursue this, but so far, no takers.
    I Want To Believe - No, I believe!

Attached Files: