Do you consider Class A,B,C to be camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by SCmomma, May 6, 2009.

1. Csea

Csea New Member

In a way it depends what your using it for. I wouldnt set up my p.u. up in a walmart parking lot to stay if i was travelling cross country. Some people use a class a,b,c or TT as a solution to hotels (and i dont blame them one bit) and then just decide hey lets go camping!.
    It doesnt matter what you use to go camping your still camping, The issue is when you sit all day in a unit and do nothing (like have a campfire, go fishing the usuals of camping).

2. turtle

turtle New Member

Both of my brothers have the big,big, big RV's.. Most of the time they are traveling around the country and I would want to have something other than a pup to do that. But when they ask me to go camping with them I always ask if they are leaving the RV's at home. They want me to visit their RV resort and set up between them. Somehow I can't see doing this. I always refuse and go to the state CG.

3. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I must admit that I agree 100% with you, SCmomma!

4. Jiffypop

Jiffypop New Member

Everyone sees things differently. We've had a popup, a hybrid, and now a TT...and in each case we felt like we were (and are) still camping. Some people simply travel and have no interest in actual camping, but I wouldn't assume this is attributed to their choice of RV.

5. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

SCmomma, I think you have to consider the people in the camper, more than the camper itself. Technically, my unit is a Class B, but unlike even the traditional PUP I dont have AC. I dont have a built on Generator, heat or plumbing. Im completely reliant upon the site for my electrical hook ups, to the jump box on the side of the bus, and for my water hookups, even though my van does have an inverter that I added, and the stock electrical plus and water hookups which are really none other than extensions that are integrated in the van.

I, unlike those Class A "parkers" that you spoke of, do have an awning, and furniture that goes outside for us to hang out.

I dont think that video games, electric scooters, and the ammenaties of home belong in the campsite though. I like the social aspect of being out in the campground, and the attention, comraderie that being in my VW brings.

6. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

SCmomma, you're the one calling it camping. Possibly the people using the big rigs don't.

7. LBCOOPMAN

LBCOOPMAN New Member

Camping is camping, regardless of what you are sleeping in. Outdoors in nature is what counts. The modern ammenities are nice as in electricity and water but as far as laptops, tv, radios and ipods ect. they do not belong in the camping setting. My teenagers can even tell you that-they are not even allowed to have them in the camper. If used on the way there then they are left in the vehicle. Only exception is my cell phones, in case of emergency at home or site. The ones that never come out are probably using it as a hotel-siteseeing other places, therefore not camping. The ones that choose to stay in their campers are probably ones that we would prefer not to camp with anyway.

8. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

We all have our own variations and definition of camping. I agree with someone elses post, if the A/B/C is what they are camping in then they are probably roughing it compared to home, however, that is there choice. We initially bought a 73 Dodge motorhome but never had the opportunity to go camping in it. We did live in it for several weeks of that summer in the driveway (our inside a/c went out and the camper had air!!) We now have a pup and love going camping. I don't begrudge anyone their fancy motorcoaches, and I don't think I am "roughing it" any more than they are; our pup has a/c, water, and an ice-box so I guess I'm not roughing it either. Not to mention, we generally take a tv to have something to do @ night, and if given the chance, I have my laptop with me. Perfect example, last 4th of July & Halloween we camped and I was downloading pictures to facebook as they were being made so my family @ home could see.

The long and short of it, camping is what you make of it. I wouldn't want to go into isolation in a tent, I have camped in a field without fresh water and that's as rough as I plan to get. Just my [2C] worth :)

9. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I think that if your out enjoying nature in some manner be it hiking through the woods, fishing at the lake, sitting at your campsite, enjoying a fire, cooking outside, etc., and ant the end of the day yo go and sleep in a tent, pup, TT, class what ever, or even a rustic cabin, it sounds to my like you might be camping, or perhaps you might refer to it as rv'ing.

But if you drive around in a bus sleeping at Walmart parking lots, and don't come outside, I don't know what the hell your doing, but it sure ain't camping, and I don't think I'd call it rv'ing either!

10. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

I do pay attention to the big rigs so I will have some idea of what my husband and I may have to get sometime in the future due to health issues. I just find it hard to belive someone would get depressed due to the lack of pop ups. I am to busy out having a good time to care what others have except if it looks like something we would like. I have gotten some very good feed back from people on what to look for when we do make the move and have also made some good friends just by not judging others by what they camp in.

11. FC

FC Central Florida

Let us not judge or be judged. If I could afford it I would have a class A. I still choose my pup as it fits my current life style & budget.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Like someone here said that it's not the rig but the people who use it. I have to agree, it is the people who use it and what they do at the CG. They can do whatever they enjoy to do. But, don't walk by my pup and give us dirty looks because you think we are below you.

Like I said before I am jealous of the retired folks who have nice rigs and travel all over the country. I would love to travel as much as they do. Some of the best conversations we have had on our travels are with those folks. That is what it is all about, meeting people and swapping stories.

Funny story, the DS and I were fishing up in Lake George at the CG and we were catching bass one after another. This guy and his kid were not having any luck what so ever! So I gave them those black rubber worms with a hook in it and then the fish were hitting. His son was so happy they were catching fish. Well, it started getting late and dark so we all walked back to our sites and he saw where we were and asked how we liked the pup. I told him it is easy to tow and we still get decent gas mileage and really is not that bad to setup and break down. Well, we said good night and the next day I saw that he was in a 5th wheeler. It was a really nice rig. After I came out of the restroom I went over to say good morning. His wife looked at me and said "are you the one with the popup trailer?" I said yes. She looked at me and got her DH, he came out and said good mornng as well. They both said they really miss having a pup and were now thinking of selling their 5th wheeler and buying a new pup. Their trailer was just way to much work to maintain and tow. They only had the one kid.

13. squirrelbox

squirrelbox New Member

I used to be a tent camper. I used to only cook over a fire. I used to only drink steeped coffee (the way grandma made it). Then I got older and had 4 kids. We camp in a pop up. But my friends who still camp in tents think I am a wimp. So my conclusion is that what ever gets you out is a good way to get you out There is no way that I could get my whole family to camp if we were still in a tent for an extended period of time. .I can not Imagine camping in any thing else but a pop up but the day will come I know that I will get something with a hard side so it will be more comfortable for my sweetheart. RV parking is not for me right now and never will be but I am reluctant to pass judgment .If and when me and the misses ever get to travel around the country I know it will not be in a rig but It will probably not be in a popup either. Fresh air, fire, bacon, beer , hiking ,outdoors, woods , water, biking ,fishing , anything outdoors is camping. Where you sleep is secondary. Imho the only difference between a popup and a rv is some canvas and where you stay.

14. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

Class A's aren't camping. They are Mobile Homes. The others (B,C) fall under Maybe. If the people get out, start a fire, or take a hike, they are camping. Otherwise they are Mobile Homes. I can see why some people, especially the elderly or disabled don't use Pop-ups, but in general I think camping is either a tent or a pop-up.
    Paul of MostlyOK

15. jtbeck

jtbeck New Member

Do you go to campgrounds?

There are many that would say that isn't camping.

To let your shelter define your experience is silly. To imagine that someone else's shelter defines their experience is silly as well.

I always love the quote, "and they never came outside." How the hell would anyone know that unless they sat and monitored the other guy's site all the time (thereby not going out themselves, either)? You don't have a clue about who these people are or how they spend their time. They might have just come off a couple of days shooting rapids somewhere and need some rest. Maybe one of them isn't feeling well. Maybe they're full-timers who don't feel the need to jam-pack every second of their time in a particular campground with activities since it's not so rare for them. And maybe they don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

To look at someone else and say, "They're not doing it right" is downright arrogant.

16. Denbert

Denbert New Member

I used to think that a Class A, B, or C was not really camping but rather RV'ing. But then some would think that if I'm in my popup and not in at tent, that I'm not camping either. It's all a matter of preference and finances. As long as we're having a good time, I guess it doesn't matter what you call it.

17. GIgypsy3

GIgypsy3 New Member

I think we all know. It's not about how much "stuff" you can get. It's about knowing how to enjoy what you've got. You don't need the latest or most expensive of something. You just have to learn how to get the most out of what you've got. I hope that I can someday afford something bigger, but for now, my PUP works great. DW, DS and I have been from Bar Harbor to Banff and loved every minute and mile of it. The only thing that matters is that you're enjoying what you're doing.

18. squirrelbox

squirrelbox New Member

My back packer friends would agree. They could not imagine staying in a "campgrounds" rather than in a tent in the mountains. But after a week of back packing would be glad to find a rv waiting for them and feel no less a camper for staying in one.

19. emssmiley2002

emssmiley2002 Florence,Ms

[CB] Well said. [CB]

20. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Like most campers we started out in tents and as our economic situation improved we purchased a used 1968 Starcraft in 1988 from my inlaws and then about five years later we were able to move up to a fifthwheel. If someone gets out and goes camping in a state park/private campground ect. then whatever they are in is camping to me. It confounds me thou if people go camping to stay inside if the weather is nice. Have never quite understood that but to each their own. Like the Nike commercial says just "do it".