Do you cover your outside stored pup?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by BritC, Feb 25, 2017.

1. BritC

BritC New Member

We have to store our pup offsite, outside. I have heard that you should keep the sun and snow (I am in the Midwest) off of the camper. I have also heard that you can get condensation between a cover and the camper - which is bad.
    I really want this pup to last a long time and do not know which direction to go in???

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This usually elicits a lot of debate. The answer from my end is that covering is OK if you follow guidelines. For our Coleman, the restriction was not to use tarps, such as the blue ones, and to maintain air circulation. (Some use pool noodles or other spacers.) There's also a theory that if you have dirt on the camper, the movement of the cover in the wind can cause damage from abrasion.
    We used an ADCO breathable cover. The rain would seep through it, but it dried quickly in our climate. Our big worries are UV exposure and dust, etc.
    With our TT, we have an Aquashed by ADCO, which has Tyvek on the roof. The rain still gets through, just not as much.
    We have tended not to cover the campers during the season, since we're out about once a month. Especially now, with the TT, we don't cover it much, since it requires a ladder to install it.

here's a section to peruse: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=57.0

3. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Yes, I cover my popup with an ADCO breathable cover, and I tilt the camper so the rain runs off. It protects my camper from the sun, elements and debree.

4. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

For this winter I built a three sided structure that is covered with a tarp. My pup is stored in/under this structure. Lots of ventilation, no direct UV and the tarp doesn't make contact with the pop up.

5. ollodart

ollodart Member

I prefer a structure. I have one of those Costco t tarp garages that surrounds the PUP. It was like $200.00 and has sides. It works great in the Northwest where it's wet 6 months out of the year.

My own two cents is have a lot of ventilation. I also like to keep the pop-up level because I run the fridge the night before I go anywhere and it won't work if the camper is not level.

6. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

breatheable cover from amazon. like 40bucks. and tilt the pup. keeps it protected. but now all the local feral cats hangout under and on it...

7. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

I don't, however, I do brush the snow off during the winter months.

8. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

We bought ours new in 2006 when living in New Mexico. Moved to Massachusetts in 2010. It's only been covered for one winter when we stored it at a relatives place in Vermont. Otherwise, it's never been covered. We remove heavy snow, I put down wood or concrete spacers to keep the tires off the grass/dirt, and I keep the tongue all the way down so rainwater will drain off. I think it's a personal preference, as long as you follow the guidelines previously mentioned to avoid condensation, a cover is certainly an option.