Do you do your own maintaince

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by hotrodcamper, Apr 21, 2013.

1. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Not all of us are mechanical by nature. Do you pay someone to do maintenance or do it yourself? Why?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've always had a hangup about paying someone to so something I could do for myself. So, I do most of my own stuff. I will admit, however, that I paid to have my TrailManor's Thetford Electra Magic toilet repaired by someone else. (The base of the toilet is the holding tank and the entire thing had to come out to get at the failed valve.) That was money well spent.

3. turborich

turborich Active Member

Yep, I do all of my own maintenance and repairs on just about everything I own. This goes for the pop up, my vehicles, house, gas yard tools, electronics, etc.

The only things that I have paid somebody else to do was to build my rear patio cover and pour the concrete.

After being ripped off twice by shops in the past I just don't trust anyone anymore plus this kind of stuff comes naturally to me. Where I lack skills is on the computer.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

ME too ...... With all the info out there now I think it is sometimes easier, and better. Too many people our out for the fast buck. 50 years in the car business and have seen many many "hackers". Shops usually have a couple of top people, but usually they are saved for the special problems. Campers as a rule are still simple things and easy to fix.

5. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

DH and I do all of our own maint. to our camper but for the trucks, except for the basic stuff they go to a shop.

6. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I maintain my pup myself, im a handy guy and the portal helps so much if I have questions before I embark on a mod or repair. Rv shops here charge like $100 an hour plus parts, and you usually have to wait to get in.

No Thanks, i'll keep my money for camping

7. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I am fortunate to have a good RV shop near me so they do my work. For me, time is money and having this work done is well worth the cost. At least so far.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Yup. I don't trust anyone here to do it properly.

9. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

I have always felt: it's broken, worse that could happen is it gets worse as I attempt to fix it...then I'd have to pay to get it fixed...

Typically, thru this forum, google searches, or you tube searches, I get Er done...then I apply the cost of labor to new tools or toys for the camper...

10. bnalley

bnalley New Member

most things mechanical in nature I have the pro's do. My skills lean toward woodworking and construction. That being said, I am taking care of the pup myself. I don't consider it to be too "mechanical". I did a roof adjustment and whiffletree lube that was no problemb, and this week I am going to re-pack the wheel bearings.

11. bropaul

bropaul New Member

If it can't be fixed with duct tape, super glue, or zip ties I turn it over to someone with the skills, knowledge, and tools.

12. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Yes as long is it is something that we are actually able to do ourselves.

13. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

We like to do our own maintenance if for no other reason than if something broke/needed to be done while out on the road, we'd know how.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I do it myself... just replaced bearings on one side and regreased on another side. replaced the drainage pipe, and electric outlets.... plus a few more things. I probably spend $100 on parts and I install em myself...

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

What? There are places that fix PUPs for money? Why, I wouldn't have thought it! [;)]

I do it all myself. So far, I haven't seen anything in the PUP I couldn't tackle myself, except making a new canvas. Unless it required welding, I'll be the one doing the work. If it required welding, it would FINALLY be my excuse to GET a welder and get some practical home experience if I couldn't hold it together with mechanical fasteners.

Generok

16. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I do all of my own maintenance and have yet to have anyone else do it, for a number of reasons. First, I am cheaper than the labor I have to pay for. Sure, my time is worth something but when I choose to work on it after everyone else has gone to bed, there's really no loss there.

Second, I want it done to my satisfaction and standards. I am particular about how works needs to be done and so the easiest way to accomplish that is to do it myself.

Third, I enjoy the work and sense of accomplishment.

I can tell you that I knew absolutely nothing about maintaining then when I bought the first PUP. It's fairly easy to learn, figure it out or ask here and elsewhere about how to do or solve something. If you can crank up the roof and drop the stabilizers then you have the basic skills to do the more routine tasks. Rebuilding a roof - well that is another story anyway.

Most of it is an issue of confidence level. Trying something new when you have little to no prior experience is a good thing. You don't learn if you don't try.

And there is nothing wrong with hiring a professional or others to do the work that doesn't appeal to you or if you don't have the time. The important thing is to end up doing something that you enjoy (hopefully outdoors).

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We do the general pup maintenance ourselves, but we had the RV place check the roof adjustment, brakes and bearings when we had to take it in for a new tongue jack. That was partly because we were going out again not too long after the pup ran away and broke the original tongue jack. DH though it would be more involved than it turned out to be, so he may replace it when/if we find a better one. [For whatever reason, the new jack is shorter than the old one, with the higher-sitting Cobalt we cannot uncouple it in our sloped driveway without a raised base for the wheel dock.]

The pup, small as it is, does not fit into our garage, so all work has to be done in the driveway, so we deal with sun, wind, grit and that slope. While DH could do the wheel bearings, he is inclined to have the RV place do it when needed. The place where we bought it is not outrageous in their rates - and I bet they have a level floor in the shop.

18. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I'm an engineer, so it's a no-brainer for me to do it myself. I have paid for some things that I would have done myself 5-10 years ago, but for a lack of time to do it now. I'm not afraid to tackle much but that's because I've been in engineering long enough to put my pride in my back pocket and ASK about something I've never done before. I've seen too many things screwed up while hearing someone say "If you'd have asked me, I could have told you not to do that." I've been inside and outside of that scenario. Bondebond summed up the whole thing best IMO.

19. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Depends on what it is and how much time I've got. I enjoy doing most maintenance/repair/mods and I'm a cheapskate to boot. I hate paying anyone to do something I can do myself. But sometimes I'm just too busy or I can use that time to make more $$ than the work that has to be done so I farm it out. Fortunately, I've got 2 RV dealers that I trust within reasonable driving distance.

20. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I too do all my own work. I have heard too many horror stories from other people getting work done. If you want it done right do it yourself. If I find I can't do it, I find out how, and sometimes it gives me an good excuse to buy new tools, if I need them. I will agree with ghacker on the time thing though. I have never taken the pup anywhere, but I have on occasion taken my car to a shop that I trust, because I had no time to do it myself.