Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

Notice at the top; the Bus is dumping it tanks on a pop-up

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mTGY-wS-x7U/Ua5RQGNTYMI/AAAAAAAADWM/Vp761FaUk_k/s512/TravelGuide2012FallPoster10.jpg

2. reddog06

reddog06 New Member

Never. We have a 13RT and with the higher floor the pup looks huge. People want to see the inside. We have used RV parks and never been turned down. I have heard some don't allow pups. I'm ok with that also.

3. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

It doesn't sound like it was much fun to camp with them. I'm surprised you're going with them again. Hopefully the other couple has children and they can play together. Good luck.

4. gaylecrab

gaylecrab New Member

There will always be people in life who look down their noses at others. We have to teach our kids to deal with them. My daughter said something similar to me about our (paid-ff) car.

I pulled up to the school the next morning and parked in the drop-off line. Then I walked around, opened her door, pulled her speechless self out of the car and called 'Good-bye honey, I love yooooou.' as she scurried into the school building.

It's funny though. She never said anything negative about the car again.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[LOL]Good for you [:D]

6. dlbalt

dlbalt New Member

I guess it depends on what circles you run in (or camp in), but in my experience the snobbery goes in reverse.

Tent campers look down on PUP campers. Trail hikers (Appalachian, Rocky Mtn, etc.) look down on tent campers, and off-trail backpackers think the trail campers are a bunch of spoiled weenies.

Stop worrying what people think and go out and enjoy yourself.

Doug

7. msgtblack

msgtblack 274BGC/1C371R

Just what my momma would have done!

8. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

I felt like 1 million bucks in the Pup. Sure there were travel trailers and 5th wheels here and there, but there were a few other Pups around us, I felt like a million bucks because i was still one with nature and could hear it all without being on the ground with a rock in my back. ( i always seemed to have that luck no matter what)

9. Andianna

Andianna New Member

Just completed our maiden voyage with Our little PUP Memorial Day weekend at Cape Cod. Found out when we got there it was a full seasoned campground with 32 rental sites. Well there were tall ones an small ones fancy buses permanent homes new and old, and one other PUP . We had fun and it did not matter to us who was in what. We met such a friendly lady who had used that campground for fifty years. She was so nice as we're other folks giving us the campground wave every time we drove in and out. We enjoyed ourselves and were thankful to find out our PUP does not leak and cable tv is your friend when it is 40degrees and raining. [LOL] there will always be someone who has something bigger and better and if that's important to them well God Bless them. I am just as happy in my PUP and its paid in full! [:D]

10. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

I grew up in Marin county , Calif. If you were part of the 'In' crowd BMW stood for Basic Marin Wheels. One of the girls from the Noveau Rich crowd got brand new Mercedes SL for her 16th birthday. My family never had a new car when I was growing up and I tried to give them a bad time about sometimes. Their usual reply was when you are an adult and have a decent job you can get your own new car. Now that I am (hopefully) an adult I have older cars then my parents did (subjectively) our newest is a 1996 right now.
    So I guess if you have to have the latest and the best you primed to always be disappointed because there is always something newer coming along.

11. jw3624

jw3624 New Member

I love camping in our pup. It's easy to pull and it's paid for! :)

12. 5whiskey

5whiskey New Member

Hi guys... new here but not new to camping. I am sorta new to camper (pup) camping as we got ours last Dec. We found a good deal paid cash for it. Before then the fam was camping in a tent (a leaky one at that). We went on many a camping trips in tents... had a whole lot of fun to.

It's up to you, who you are, and what you want out of life. I, for one, would rather drive a 7 year old vehicle thats paid for than drive a 3 year old vehicle that I owe money on. I'd also rather have my 1993 Jayco Eagle 10, which I paid cash for, than a bell&whistle TT that I have to make payments on for 5 years. I really don't care who looks down on me for it. In my experience, the people who can really afford the 20k TT and can afford it (i.e., they won't be making payments for more than a year, maybe 2 tops) typically don't look down on people who tend to stick with what they can afford... even if it's significantly less than where they are.

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

So true! Those that have money generally understand others who aren't as prosperous-because they were once at the same station in life.
    New money? Well, that's another story. LOL

14. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

This site is great. I struggle with making money, I came from a very frugal family and married into a family with money. I own a business and do well, but I struggle so bad at times with the workload.

Sometimes I feel like no one in my family appreciates the simple things in life. My favorite camping trip was just me and my 6 year old, it was a rain out and cold. Everyone else bagged it and complained that they would rather be in Florida. It's like no one could appreciate atleast we were doing something together.

I feel like most of the folks on this site really get it. It's just good to read about people having fun and not needing resorts and massages.

15. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Yup! That's why we're in pop-ups and not fifth-wheel trailers. Those on the dark side have been corrupted or are feeling old age setting in... I'm next, I fear. (5 bad discs)

16. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

My BIL just had surgery on 5 discs. He is in his 70s and is not in fit shape [;)]. He is doing very well because he is following Dr.'s instructions and he is not one to sit still. He has overdone it a time or two. As a result of this he has had to learn his limits. Being active has also helped his recovery. I hope this is encouraging that if you have to have surgery there is a bright future after surgery.

17. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."- Eleanor Roosevelt.

We've only gotten two trips under our belt in our PUP, so far, but we did have some ribbing from our neighbors one night this past week. What they got was an education, as my DH invited them in for a look. The couldn't believe all of the amenities! The thought PUPs were only beds for sleeping! And they loved that we had inside and outside showers.
    When they heard it stores in our garage, and saw how huge our beds were compared to theirs, their daughters were contemplating getting one for THEIR families, and how much the kids would love it. One said it was the perfect blend of camping and comfort! We totally agreed! LOL
    It has certainly added to our camping enjoyment and convenience.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

went camping last weekend and parked my pup next to this guy had this giant mobile home with 4 slideouts, and thought to myself that thing is nicer than most hotels i ever stayed at! then thought to myself (IF) i had that kind of money, would i even what a rig like that. probally not. not judging the people that could afford these massive rigs, to me i felt right at home in my little pup!!! the only thing i kinda regreted was closing up in the rain would have been alittle easier in that hotel on wheels

19. PDieter

PDieter Member

I AM a 2nd class citizen.

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

LOL...this thread is still going?