Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I bet they didn't mean to be rude. They probably were poor as dirt at one time, but had a lot of fun camping in a pup.

2. gzank6

gzank6 Member

we recently camped with a couple of other families... one family came in their TT, the rest of us in tents. One family... strickly tent campers and close friends with the TT family wouldn't stop going on about the TT and not in a nice way. Ends up when we get back... they don't want to invite them to the next trip.

I don't think its the tent, the pup, the trailer people or the RV... its the people that is the problem.

3. Ericka75

Ericka75 Hello From Miami, Florida

I couldn't agree more. Being a beginner pup up owner (it took me 2 years before I was finally able to buy a used PUP ), I think that regardless of how small the pup can be, there is always someone out there that wishes he/she had what we have. I love my pup even if it is not the most luxury of all, and I love it because is mine and no-one else's (other than my husband's) [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

4. kpic

kpic New Member

We bought a PUP because we wanted a PUP. We enjoy our pup. It fits our needs perfectly.
    Thanks to the people here's advice, our pup sleeps really nice. We have sheets, a :RV" mat and other things. Our cabana adds the rainy day room we believed we needed.

We did what we suggest everyone do, buy what they want and enjoy it. Just don't tell us what we should do as the answer will not not pleasurable. [LOL]

5. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Nope, I can afford it with no payments...it stores in my garage

6. rawlus

rawlus New Member

I'd rather have an airstream but can't justify the expense right now. We are happy With our a frame and I don't have to deal with bunks and canvas like my brother in law does. I don't have a place to setup and air out after every trip. I have friends who stay on a lake in a park model every summer weekend, it's perfect for that and they golf there too. We moved from tenting for 25 years to the a frame for ease of setup and to not have to lug around all these plastic bins of supplies and spend all our time on our knees.... Plus more comfort for us in inclement weather. I still tent from time to time when the camper is too much to deal with.... Bt I do like dragging a premade bed and some other luxuries behind the TV instead of loading it up will all sorts of "equipment" to enjoy tenting. For us it's definitely an upgrade, but I wouldn't refuse a nice small airstream either.

7. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

To be honest first time without try it when saw this big ones maybe feel that pups are second class BUT after have mine that 1-have many commodities like shower and toilet, 2- no need to spend around $50+ monthly in storage, 3- drive it so easy and when big trucks pass to my side in the highway is like normal, spend only a fraction of the cost of this big ones and the most important 4- Im in a real camping, now I think that we are the First Class and this big one are the second ;-)

By the way, until now the people that I meet with this big ones are so nice and friendly. Maybe I can consider a big one when be retire to run the states and when my ideas are not camping, just moving between state to state, for now and many more years I'm First Class with my PUP.

I remember the first time when my wife and me go to the dealers to check about Travel Trailer and PUPs and when she saw a huge oven in one of the kitchens she told me WTF we are going to camp or to make a Executive Meal?

IMO Camping is grill and campfire the stove inside the pup is just for when rain.

Haha, now when we saw any other thing different than a PUP we start talking about cons of those lol

8. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

On a weekday outing at the lake last month, 2 large RV's moved in a couple of sites away. My first reaction was to assume they would be non friendly "glampers". Much to my surprise, the next day I heard a "hello" and looked up to find I had visitors, a mid 30's military family who enjoyed seeing the outdoors, wherever they were stationed. He was especially interested in my Cabana and all the details as well as my DO cooking.
    We chatted numerous times over the next few days...... so much for my stereotyping.....

9. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Only place felt like a 2nd class citizen was at RV dealer... would rather sell us something more expensive.

10. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Yes, is true, something similar happens to me with a mature couple that stay 2 spot far from me and they told us that are very happy that many young people going to camping in this days, no matter in what, PUP's Tents, etc. Another big RV ask me sometimes how my Jeep works with the PUP because he want to buy one.

IMO PUPs and big RV's are 2 different things, the Big RV is for traveling comftable like home between states and PUPs are a real Camping, as I said to my Wife one time, PUPs are like Camping Tents with steroids ;-)

Another couple when I said that mine have shower and toilet they're faces value a million lol

PD: I said Big RV's because a PUP are RV too

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

It depends who you're talking to. We've had this happen to us more than once, and then again last night......talking to people who tried camping in a tent and didn't like it because of the hard ground and getting wet in the rain, or whatever, so they just dismissed it as they're not camping people.

Then, when they see our campsite and check out the inside, and ask a bunch of questions about the camper they say say. "Maybe we could camp." :)

12. bufficakes

bufficakes Love our pop ups.

I think I can speak from both sides of this "debate". Our TV is a 38 ft diesel pusher. (Yes, you read that right) We bought this so we could tow a 24ft mobile rock climbing wall when we went to festivals. (I think we exceeded a few tow lengths when we did that!) We scrimped and saved, so we don't have any payments on it. But when we camp we spend the majority of our time outside. All of our cooking and eating is done outside. We only use the MH to sleep in and to make my first cup of coffee in the morning. Unless of course we are on the road, in which case, I can cook our entire meal while DH keeps driving. The kids usually end up using the toilet before we are even out of the county. A toilet while you are driving is a godsend with our kids!

However our most recent camping trip including 3 kids and us in our MH and our oldest DD and her boyfriend in our StarCraft PUP. The nice thing about the PUP is DH and one of the boys were able to manually turn the PUP around on the site so the PUP faced our MH and we used the front of our site with the back of their site to our advantage.

While our MH has 3 TVs (which are rarely used except when we are traveling), even our PUP came with a TV! One advantage our MH has over the PUP is storage! All our outside gear, complete kitchen, chairs, sports equipment, scooters, etc can be stored and we never have to pack it! Our PUP sleeps as many as our MH too!

If we are camping somewhere we don't need a car, we can roll up with our MH towing our PUP and that, my friends is quite the site to behold! LOL Hmmm...maybe we are the people your mom warned you about!

We love both for different reasons, but especially because we can all enjoy our time together...camping. In fact we love our PUP so much, we just got a second one! Our new canvas was delivered the day we left on our trip last week. So I will be busy getting PUP #2 up and running! [PU] [PU] [TV]

There are jerks every where, just smile and move on. Life is too short to be unhappy. So whatever you camp in, enjoy it!

13. tdwhy

tdwhy New Member

We have only had this happen once, in Reno Nevada.
    The geezer next door in a very old Winnebago took exception to us set up next to him.
    Usually the opposite happens.
    People will stop to talk and say, 'We had a tent trailer and moved up, wish we had never done it.'
    Last year we had it happen 3 times in one week.
    Just enjoy your time camping.

14. robertmelancon

robertmelancon Sa souvraya niende misain ye.

Hmm, tried to get a spot one time at an RV Resort in Panama City and was told NO POP UPS ALLOWED. Oh well, I preferred St Andrews anyway, but they were full. I know better than to ask next time.

This past weekend, I guess we got belittled in a way. The old guy next to us said, " the only good thing about that kind is driving them." He didn't say much else after that, since he spent most of the rest of the weekend in his little TT. I did see him visit the bathroom a few times, but...

Well, I agree that driving them is nice, but as to the rest? To me, the setup is really part of the fun. Something about following that sequence calms me down and gets me ready for the evening's meal (we are ALWAYS running late). I like being able to park my PUP in my driveway and not get harassed by the HA. And it's really just as comfortable as any other TT I've been in - cool in the summer, warm in the winter, the bathroom/shower works fine, the water is hot, the fridge is cold, the stove works, I could go on and on...in fact, I guess I have.

Anyway, yeah, I guess we did get discriminated against. I assume, like most forms of discrimination, it's from ignorance or jealousy, or both. Sorry 'bout their luck.

Robby

15. skysummit

skysummit Member

I just stopped at our local Camping World. At the register, the girl asked for my phone number. I told her I was not yet a member. She proceeded to start telling me about all the perks of membership and then asked what kind of camper I owned. When I told her a pop up, I saw the instant change in her facial expression and she told me nothing more about becoming a member.

16. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

The same thing happened to me at camping world!

17. Jean

Jean New Member

Camping World told me they don't have anything for a pup. Really? I'm in buying their trailer chocks every now and again. They didn't turn around and say they wouldn't stop my pup from rolling into my garage. They have camp stoves and tacky lights. All can be used by pups. I've seen lots of other things that I COULD use.

But, what I really don't understand about this attitude is the number of people with larger trailers that we see while camping. They all look at our pup and remember the happy times they had with theirs. So, why wouldn't Camping World be encouraging us to shop there now, for later when we have the trailers/rvs they approve of?

Really, the same goes for the last time I was in there. I had a pair of trailer chocks in my hand. The guy behind me was buying a satellite system for his rv. They waited on him before waiting on me. How did they know I wouldn't be back later to buy an expensive gadget? Also, my neighbor has their coveted class A. He doesn't like going to a store that treats me like that. My information didn't have any effect on him, he already hated Camping World.

Jean

18. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Amen to that! WE are having fun and enjoying camping in our style.

19. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Seriously! They can sit in their near windowless RV while I enjoy the fresh air in mine!

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

[​IMG] I like being 2nd class with a view like this.