Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

No, I have never felt like anyone looked down at us for having a popup.

But it occurs to me that I might, unwittingly, have made people in tents feel bad about their tents because I have said "I'll never sleep in a tent on the ground again!" I slept in a tent for a few years and I am just so happy to be off the ground.

I too love the air and the screens and the sound of the rain on the canvas. I just don't want to be on the ground anymore.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Not at all, as a matter of fact I'd feel like a second class citizen without tenting over my head when in bed.
    It's not camping without the tenting, the rain at night or the birds singing in the morning just isn't the same without the tenting.
    Oh yeah, sometimes you have to fold the tenting up wet, but nothing beats the experience. Nothing....

3. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

It is possible that the campgrounds she is talking about do not allow popups. We have one in my area like that. Funny thing is, it is not a campground that I would EVER consider camping in even if I wasn't in a pup.

As others have stated, nobody can make you feel bad about yourself unless you allow them to do it. If someone really is looking down on pup campers, they are truly missing out on the good things about pups.

When I'm looking for a new campground, I find myself doing the discriminating. I look at the campground and sites and if it appears to be a campground mainly for the big RVs, I tend to steer clear. In my experience, many people in those big RVs tend to run their generators all day, turn on the outside stereo and blast their music all day, etc. Since that's not my idea of camping, I avoid that sort of campground.

4. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Ragar was right "Makes you want to get one of those "DON'T LAUGH IT'S PAID FOR." bumper stickers for you pup when you go into snooty RVING territory. "

The first time we camped with our brand new teardrop we heard a car drive by and the girl inside laughed. I said at least mine is paid for.

When we told a friend that our brand new Jayco was paid off, he said "now you can upgrade" I said "we just did. This is what we wanted.'

5. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Nope, because we can get to sites the big units could never reach :)

6. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I feel like I'm 1st class anytime I have my Pup out and about, I'm having fun dammit! [:)C]

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Never. We frequently have people with motorhomes, travel trailers and hybrids come over to our tiny a-frame wanting to see it, marveling that it has a kitchen and as much room as it has inside. They are amazed when we bother to show them it can go up and down in 30-seconds. We've often had a spouse (generally of the female persuasion) tell us they wish they had such a simple thing but their husband insisted on hauling a behemoth. They make us feel like the first-class citizens.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No, but we don't go to resort-type campgrounds where we might encounter snobbery. [I've seen listings for a few places that require only RVs and TTs, or that any pop-ups must be of a vintage newer than X date.]
    The campgrounds we use tend to be public, and we encounter everything from backpacking tents to huge motor homes. We're happy to be out camping in whatever we have on the current trip.

9. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Many years ago when we were tent camping I pulled in to a campground on my sidecar rig loaded with two tents, two people and enough gear for three strapped to it.

While I went inside the office an excessively large MH pulled in next to my bike. The driver got out and stood in front of my rig for a few minutes looking over the situation and in a very sarcastic tone said "you call THAT camping?".

I had to bite my tongue to keep from calling him some bad names.

10. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

My parents were full time 5th wheelers. They loved seeing families like ours come to the CGs. They could see the memories being made. Not everyone thinks the way your daughter told you. Just like "Everyone at school has..... and I don't."

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I've never encountered this behavior. I don't spend a lot of time in RV parks/resorts, but there are plenty of big rigs, 5ers, and TTs out there making use of National Parks, State Parks, forest service campgrounds and the like and I have never encountered this type of behavior. I don't think I've ever come across a fellow camper, whether they be in a tent, p'up, TT, 5er, or MoHo that has been anything other than friendly and helpful when I need a hand with something.

That said, I do know that there are quite a few RV resorts out there that do not allow p'ups, conversion vans, or truck bed campers and they also have rules on the age of a particular camper as well as condition and type of TV if you have a trailer (i.e. no work trucks or TVs with business related signage, stickers, bumper stickers, etc). Many of these joints also require that you utilize their maint contractor for any problems that should arise while you're at the CG and also have rules on having your RV washed weekly (also by an outside contractor).....so yes, there are some that definitely look at us as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th class citizens....but they won't even allow you in the gate, so you'd never know anyway.

12. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

I feel great because I am happy with what I have and how I spend my time with it. I do notice those with the huge rigs, never come out of them, they do not enjoy the outdoors, the scenery, the wildlife or anything. I just don't understand that [?:~{]

13. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

My e-coworker just found this out. He'd never camped before. He went to an RV show and bought a 26' TT. He and his wife decided they wanted something bigger. They traded it in for a 39' 5er. He found out this year that many of the places they liked going were off limits now due to length or weight issues. I just smiled and nodded while I thought about the camping trip to a small campground that next weekend.

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

That 5th wheel is bigger than my sister's house!!! [LOL] No thank you! [A]

15. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

No, I've never had that problem. At family reunions everyone wants to see my "cute" little camper and they all end up at our site around the fire.

16. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We've usually found the people in the bigger rigs can be just as friendly as anyone else. Many of the big riggers have a "pop-up past" and have expressed to us that sometimes they wish they were back in one. They're typically travelers and RV'ers though and not really "campers". They can camp with their big rig, I guess, just like we can travel with our pop-up, but first and foremost, we consider ourselves campers.

I did have an experience a number of years ago at a nice little campground and I could pass along a story of then... when someone tried to make me feel 2nd class. We were set up along side a TT and there was a large 5'er behind us. Another pop-up pulled in and set up camp right across from us. We had already been there a day when the pop-up came in and we'd gotten acquainted with the guy in the TT and the couple in the 5'er. Very nice people and we shared a nice evening around our campfire more than once over the days we were there. The people in the pop-up, however, were snobs! The man didn't speak a word to anyone but I ran into the lady in the bathroom shortly after they arrived and within a few short minutes, she made sure she told me that they were renting the pop-up and that they had a beautiful big luxurious diesel bus back home in Iowa!!! Apparently they decided to take their children on a "different kind of vacation" and they rented a pop-up so they could visit national parks and state parks. In about 15 minutes, I'd heard about their successful business, their beautiful big expensive home and once again... their motorhome, then I made my escape so I could go socialize with our other "neighbors". In the end, I didn't feel like a 2nd class citizen... but I felt like she was one. How could we not think it was funny when her "very successful husband" forgot to put down the stabilizers on their PUP? Yep - THEY got a little tipsy as we sipped our wine by the fire with the TT guy and the 5'er couple!

17. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

this has been my experience too [:D]

18. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Another take on camping with the big boys...........
    We usually get a little used spot at one of our favorite campgrounds, right in the middle of the seasonal/permanent sites. It's big enough for a pop up, but folks in TTs,MOs and 5ers wouldn't find it desirable. Nice folks all around. So y'all don't tell anyone about my secret spot.....

[​IMG]

19. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I guess humans just have to have a pecking order in all parts of life.

Not a pup story story but along the same lines.

A few years back I won a Salmon fishing trip with a guide, we went to an area on the Columbia River in Washington state that was a sorta back water slough off the river. There was an inlet of sorts and fisherman were lined up at this inlet shoulder to shoulder fishing. I commented wow look at all those guys over there and the guide said " Those are Bank Maggots " I said what ? And he explained that they hate fisherman in boats and that if you get to close they will throw stuff at you and cast their lures at you. So the boaters call them" Bank Maggots " I didn't get a chance to talk with any of the guys on shore but I'm guessing they had an equally wonderful name for the boaters.

20. PDieter

PDieter Member

no concept from the commercial fisherman that if he came in close enough to be in casting range he might be crowding other fishermen? LOL

On topic, I have no concept of a pecking order in the RV world, but I'll take the 12yr olds word on it.