Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

If I ever bought one of these, please shoot me regardless of my class. Donate my organs to the society of stupidity research.
    [​IMG]

2. FlKeysSuzette

FlKeysSuzette New Member

I do kayak rentals out of an rv resort and one day joked to the GM that I could never stay there because they don't allow pop ups. ..he said that their permit only allowed campers with full *I am paraphrasing, I don't recall the term he used* "sewer hookups" like an rv has. No tents or non hooked up popups, but they had nothing against them! I was surprised but here in the Keys it's probably some environmental law/code. Happy camping!

3. sallugo

sallugo Member

I totally missed this quote....my friends own all those RVs...they don't treat me any different for me having a pup. They're glad I'm part of the group.

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. dougfam

dougfam Member

We go camping with some friends who own a class A that's worth nearly twice what our house is. They don't treat us 2nd rate, and never felt that way. Guess it comes down to personalities and being content with what you have....

5. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We think all camping is cool, and our popping up is SWEET!

6. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

No! I never did feel like a 2nd class "anything" when I camped in my old PUP. I was never treated that way either. However, I do get that "I think Im better than you" feeling from several of our customers. Oddly enough, It seems that most customers that give that feeling (like they are better than anyone) are the folks that purchase our toy hauler 5ers.
    A toy hauler 5er fits a certain niche, and it takes a certain type of camper to desire one. They are a neat package, but "some" of the owners are not the typical campers.

Thats all Im going to say

7. WNCcampingCrew

WNCcampingCrew Member

We took our 22 year-old "new to us" pup camping for the first time this weekend and I felt sorry for all those poor tent campers. [;)]

(I kid. Sort of.)

I haven't gotten any kind of "we're better than you" vibe so far. There seems to be a good mixture of all types of campers where we like to camp.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We tented it as a family for 15 years, and I still do a couple tent trips a year (one of them pseudo-backpacking) but I know what you mean. Usually it will be raining, and I'll pop outside to take a stroll, waking by a lot of tent sites, thinking "man I'm glad I'm up off the ground in a popup where we can stay inside and play games comfortably". Of course we used to just set up a screen house and play games in there when we tented, so it's all good.

I'm sure the 5th wheel and Class A folks sit inside and bake pumpkin pies or something when it rains, and feel sorry for us puppers ;)

9. WNCcampingCrew

WNCcampingCrew Member

You're probably right. I need to make friends with some Class A folks and bum some warm desserts off of them. As it was, my MIL brought warm pumpkin bread to us Saturday and my mom brought warm sausage biscuits and monkey bread to us Sunday. I may have to continue camping 40 minutes from home.

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Forget the Class A's.....get a Dutch Oven and make the A folks jealous....
    Dump Cake anyone.... [}:)]

11. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We have a PUP and this is what DW made at the camp site this summer.
    [​IMG]
    It was for the rally. We always have warm chocolate chip cookies around the fire or smores made with them.

12. 66Camper

66Camper Member

Not in the least! They've got the millions of dollars,
    but my pup camping family has the millions of memories!
    Wouldn't trade for the world.

13. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

When I went on my very first PUP camping this July, I felt like people were looking down on us. I pulled in pulling it with my 65 Ford step side. None of my neighbors even said HI or approached us while we were outside. They went about their business ... and good for them... watching their TVs in the fancy compartments and cooking on those fancy grills... using their indoor bathrooms... etc. but.. let them be THEM.. that's not how we roll! Fast forward the next night after spending half a day setting up my Christmas decorations and taking first place!! (Christmas in JULY weekend) I hope I instilled a little "bigger isn't always better" inside each and every one of them. Money CAN buy you a bog O fancy camper ut it will never make you a decent person...

14. brinklee

brinklee New Member

I don't drive a Lincoln or Cadi does that make me a 2class citizen??

15. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

I really never care what other think of me. The only one I need to care about is the cg and then it's they are too good for my money and I'll mosey on down the road to someone who want's my money. My rig can fit in more places than that million dollar rig.

16. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I know a couple who tent camp and dehydrate their food before a trip that tell us because we are camping in a PUP that we aren't really camping because of all the conveniences we have.

Really? Camping to me is more about the togetherness. We did the tent thing and my son and I tent camp once a month with Boy Scouts.

But we also like the convenience of not travelling 20-50 yards at night to use the facilities since we have a cassette potti in the camper. We also like sleeping in our nice warm beds on a mattress rather than air mattresses on the ground. I like that I can plug in my CPAP rather than lug a battery and inverter along.

But most of all we like that we travel, stay in our own room and cook our own meals rather than a hotel and restaurant; and we do it as a family. We gather around the fire at night and talk rather than the boob tube or computer (and yes, gasp.....we even bring computers along camping for times we just want to sit around and play/surf with our friends.

Who cares if it is tent, PUP, TT, or Class A as long as you are getting away from the daily grind and spending time together?

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think that I have the only family that doesn't pee multiple times (each) throughout the night.

18. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

One day you will!!!! Time brings on changes, believe me!!! [:(O]

19. gruss

gruss Active Member

Nope don't care.

never really thought much about it, camped next to giant 5vrs and tents. very few people I didnt' get along with, and I doubt it had anything to do with the type of camper I was in.

Actually, hardcore tenters impress the h3ll out of me...man I swear I saw a group this summer that pulled in and by the time I hit the RR to go pee and come back they had the 2 tents up, a canopy up and a fire going.

enjoy the trip, if you're worrying about what the guy next to you has you would probably be better off staying home and fertilizing your lawn or something.

20. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

The only time I felt 2nd class was when searching for an RV Park/Resort on Padre Island. We wanted to try one of the Luxury Resorts for the first time. I was searching online, and I came across one that had, in big letters on it's home screen, "NO CANVAS ALLOWED". I think they had a limit on how old your rig could be too. I dont know why they have that policy or if it included hybrids, but I just moved on to the next one. I wondered if your money changes color when you own a really big rig that's less than 10 years old.