Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I have never had anyone look down on my PUP. Some are curious or wanted to say they once owned a PUP. We have only PUP camped in the Southwest, so this may account the absence of attiitude. Living back East, this may change. We may not be able to always stay at public CGs.

2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

Wow, I haven't heard someone mention Blue Hole in years!

Yep, when I was a younger pup, I scoffed at the notion of spending the night in a box on wheels. There were nights I didn't even want to set up my bivvy tent. Strung a fly over a low rope for a lean to, and called it a night. Didn't take a therm-a-rest at times because the ground in the back woods was soft enough. Paddled the Suwanee River from the swamp to the gulf a couple of times, just floated from spring to spring camping my way down.

Nowadays, though, my wife and I appreciate the creature comforts that our PUP provides us, while still letting us feel like we're camping.

I've never felt like a second class citizen in the campground crowds. I do marvel at the size of some of the rigs I see there and going down the road, and the math nerd in me starts doing the calcs on how much money is depreciating right before my eyes.

Would I ever buy a 5th wheel or big rig? I dunno. Today, it has no appeal for me. But I am a never say never person, and if history is my guide, that's not a bad thing. I would never have pictured myself as a PUP camper when I was 18.

3. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I would hope this is not the case. The idea of camping (at least my idea) is not about the toys or the size of the rig but to get out and enjoy nature. I hope that you go and do not have any issues, if you do ignore them and just chalk it up them being 2nd class people in general.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Those who own popup campers are 1st class citzens... others are 2nd class and the RV are worst

5. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Well I have been called worst than 2nd class but that is a bold statement. I will go to chruch on Sunday and tell my Paster that he is 2nd class for his class c rv.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Halford -I hope that comment is thoroughly tongue-in-cheek.

As I've said in the past, we're the same people who camped in ground tents for year, then 2 pop-ups and now a travel trailer. Once upon a time, we thought we'd ground camp forever. Then we added the first pup, as an alternative for some trips. Eventually, we renovated that pup, and used it for all front-country trips; DH still backpacks. Last year, age and cranky joints/back caught up with me, and the choice was to move to a TT so that we could keep camping.
    Will we ever move to a larger TT or larger anything? I doubt it, our plans are to keep this one at least 20 years. Suits our style, needs, driveway (where it is parked all year long) and current TV.

7. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

You are joking, presumable, but it reminds me that we all have different definitions for things. Recently a teardrop trailer person referred to those of us with Aliners as "RV folks". It was not said in a rude, unkind or derogatory manner but did give me a moments pause. All of a sudden I became one of those RV people so now you say I'm the worst. [:D] What's an RV person, anyway? (rhetorical question)

To answer the question in the thread's title. Of course not & no one has ever said anything to me about my trailer that wasn't complimentary or expressing polite curiosity. Oh wait. I forgot my mother's comment, "Am glad you like it but it sounds like my idea of hell." [LOL]

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I never worry about it, and I never "look down on someone in a tent" I am happy by choice with my PUP and as long as it please my and my family /friends then so be it. But I have never been treated bad by someone in a larger unit, usually they are friendly folks.

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Why do you care what others think? That's the true root of the question.

It's human nature to compare yourself to those around you. But doing so rarely brings happiness. It can often bring about smugness or envy, conceit or disdain. I don't really have use for any of that.

I am happy with what I have. I will probably always want some other cool or newer item, gadget or vehicle but I don't care what others think about my possessions.

What I do care about is what others think of my and my family's manners and how we interact and show respect to others. That is where I spend some energies.

10. tinybluetj

tinybluetj New Member

Hey, I just upgraded from my fancy-schmancy 30 foot TT to my totally awesome PUP! [;)]

11. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

To be content in ones own skin, is to be enlightened far before those who compare their skin to yours.

Not a proverb.. mine own.
    Live as you wish.

12. froggie

froggie New Member

You would be surprised at the number of those big RV owners who started in tents. Many of them are retired and now actually live in those things. Imagine just traveling from one campground to another. I have not met an RV owner who was not friendly. I am sure they are out there, along with those who tent, popup, and tt. It's more about the person, not the camping style.

13. Thai

Thai Member

We originally wanted a tent trailer because we were pretty fed up with the extended setup and tear down with our tent. Then in our research, we thought 'what the heck', let's look at small travel trailers (17'). Then well, maybe a little bit bigger, started looking at 21' and then 24'. We almost bought a 26' and then started to debate why we were looking in the very beginning. We don't want to be parked in rows along other big RVs. We like the privacy and seclusion that small tent trailers are able to accommodate. Not to mention the ability to store it easily into our garage as local bylaws forbids parking in driveways. Saves us the hassle of finding storage and going back and forth to it.

So that's where we're at today and am currently awaiting delivery of our new tent trailer (2 weeks).

We're content on our needs and wants. Going bigger with the fancy RVs to us isn't camping. We're campers! :)

**Edit - Ironically, my status under my avatar says "Camper, 2nd Class". Too funny.

14. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Someone ever say something stupid like that to me I would say ,"you know ,we are all blessed in different ways but remember ,material things will some day rust away so have a great day ,Mr.camper.

15. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Recently, I have had exactly the opposite experience. I had a number of seasonals at a local campground stop by to check out our pop up because it brought back memories for them. They had started out as PUP owners and gradually moved up but all of them spoke with loving fondness of their PUPs. Many asked when we're going to become seasonal campers and didn't think anything of having a pop up next to their rigs.

16. Dad2futurecampers

Dad2futurecampers New Member

I have to say I never felt like second class citizen until this weekend. My wife and I just manhandled our pup to get it out of our campsite because a fifth wheel rig gave us about two feet of space between our pup and himself. No way to get my tow vehicle in there. Our site was advertised as a pull thru though I laughing call it a Parrallel parking space for small campers/pop ups. How he even got his rig stuck in there I do not know. He did offer to help us move our pup in the morning. I was going to take him up on it too bad he ran off at 7 in the morning. Was a nice trip if not for that.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't imagine a campsite so small that you can't get a tow vehicle in because of a neighboring rig :(

18. Groogrux

Groogrux New Member

Nope. We love our pup. I like washing dishes and cooking outside, all a part of camping. Big rigs are nice, but we'll stick with our pup.

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Also if I *did* have the misfortune of staying in such a place, I certainly wouldn't be pushing my pup in by hand. I paid for a site, if it's not usable the management better make it so.

20. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

I grew up with my parents taking us tent camping. It was always a good time. Lots of great memories....to the point as my parents got older, they gave up the tent and moved on to a pup, a motor home, 5th wheels and back to a motor home. My mom never really enjoyed it after the pup. It was too much like housekeeping for her.....she often tells me they had more fun in the pup and the tent than anything else. My pups got some extras and I have to say I would be hard pressed to move out to something else.