Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. campinginboise

campinginboise New Member

I think this is a valid question; however, I don't let it bother me. I remember when I was tent camping and thought popups were amazing! They're the best of both worlds! So often when I'm out camping and see people with their big RVs, I hardly see them outside. What's the point of camping then? To me, there's beauty in roughing it. It makes me appreciate what I do have and partly that's one of the reasons I go camping. There's always someone who is going to have something bigger and better than what you have. You have to do what fits for your life. What other people do and have shouldn't affect how you feel about your choices. Do you look down on people who are sleeping in tents? Do you treat them as second class citizens?

I actually financed my used popup, so I don't even have the excuse of having it paid for! I'm a single parent and I chose to get a loan for my popup. Otherwise, it would have taken me 5 years to save up enough money to pay for my camper in cash. By then, my son would be 13 and probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as he does now. I love camping and having a popup makes camping so much easier for me and my son to go more often with less stress for me. The memories we have and the childhood lessons and experiences we have together are priceless. Yes, the proverbial Jonses in the campsite next to us have a TV and can make microwave popcorn and have their own bathroom, but that doesn't mean we have less fun making our S'mores and spending all our time outside. We don't have to sleep on the ground, we can wash our hands in the sink and we stay warmer and more comfortable at night.

I feel so incredibly fortunate to have a popup! Mostly I think camping peeps are pretty nice, helpful and welcoming. The select few who are stuck up for having a mobile vacation home and choose to be rude to others who don't have that, I actually feel sorry for them. That's such a poor attitude and tells me a lot about who they are as people. Be glad you're not like that. Be proud of how you camp! I have the smallest, most basic camper available, and I feel like the luckiest woman in the world!

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, and a small part of me is still drying out lol. I still tent once in awhile but when we're in the pup, I don't look down on tenters at all, but I do thank my lucky stars every time we get bad weather and we're able to retreat into the pup to play games and hang out, and have a dry bed raised off the ground.

3. ronnie

ronnie Member

our last camping trip was to Horse Park Kentucky, there was only 2 pup, I felt like trailer park trash among-est all the high dollar RV's, but once we get out and start talking to them higher ups "LOL" most of them started out in a pup and have fond memories, so then i feel better, knowing that even when they drive by my site they smile...

4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Never! I've recently upgraded from my backpacking tent, and I love my newly renovated pup. I have a definite advantage over the larger TTs and RVs, etc., because I have a greater choice of campsites that can accommodate my little 'tent on wheels'. [:D]

Having said that, I really like it when I'm invited into those larger rigs. They really are amazing. Just imagine what a great job it would be one of the designers!

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just realized that the starter of this topic has been away from the portal for nearly 4 years, leaving 2 months after starting this topic. Yet the topic goes on and on and on and on... :)

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It's a great topic.. I have only ever met a couple fellow RV'ers who actually made derogatory comments toward other campers in pop ups.. Only ever came across 2 couples at an RV show who after looking at $300K plus MoHo's were walking past a toy hauling TT and when the first wife noticed it was a TT she commented on how it was "nice that they make such nice things for the poor people" .. I followed them a few rows over and when they got to one of the few dealers with pop ups the same lady said " Ohhh look, slums on wheels" ..

These folks are the rarity.. Most RV'ers I have met are always excited to see how someone else camps as most started out very humble in tents, pop ups or basic TT's ..

7. R00

R00 Active Member

Sometimes I feel like lower-middle class, cuz I got popup envy over some cool mod or AC unit or more capable off-road trailer (I'm actually considering selling the popup and going rooftop tent on a bed rack for my Nissan)

8. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Ask any dealer who sells those megabuck motor homes and fivers -- most are on payments spanning 10 years or more. If the popup is paid for, who is the "poor" person? :/

jbruels likes this.
  9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I do not treat anyone differently regardless of what they are camping in be it a tent, pup, trailer or motorhome. Life is too short, we got the TT because it was time, dealing with the canvas was taking it's toll, family enjoyed it but I no longer did because it had become a chore. It just seemed weekend trips, I spent more time cleaning and airing it out than I spent camping. All i can say is, enjoy what you got and don't let negativity of others spoil it.

10. mchance47

mchance47 New Member

No matter who you are or how much stuff you have accumulated, there's always someone you can look down on and always someone who can look down on you. Live and let live.

11. ace911

ace911 New Member

This post has lots of replies.....and heres my 2 cents.
    Ive slept in tents on the ground for years when I was young.Then tent camped with the gf for a few more years. One windy night in the Nevada desert we ended up in the cuddy of our boat. That worked for a few more trips....We bought a 8ft Lance camper, used, with all the nice stuff, a/c etc. Got married.When the first kid came along, we bought a used 1997 24ft Class C coach. I thought I was in heaven....When the second kid came along, the wife said "there is no way she could camp with 2 kids in that thing". Which led to a slight err in judgment. In 2000 I bought a brand new 32ft Class A double slide coach. Ok now I knew I was in deep. But it was very comfy, we spent a lot of time inside enjoying the amenities etc.But honestly it had too many amenities, and we carried around too much crap.Not to mention the constant maintenance... rubber roofs- dont get me started. After 10 years we really weren't using it that much, and I decided to sell it to raise a down payment for a piece of income property...fast forward a year...Now after 23yrs Im going through a tough divorce. Some of my time now with the kids is spent camping in a tent. It feels soooo good to get back outside and really enjoy it.I dont mind the roughing it part, just that my body doesnt work like I remember it. So now Im diligently looking for a used PopUp. I think this has got to be the best compromise between a TT and a tent. The less crap you have the happier you really are. Simple is good.The folks with MH and TT can think what they want, but I can honestly say "been there done that". Im looking forward to downsizing, and if it doesn't work out, at least I wont loose $30,000 when I sell it. [:D]

ST Dog likes this.
  12. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Member

I have a 1996 pop up and a 2015 fiver, and both are paid for. Imagine if I felt the way you do and wondered if anyone who couldn't afford what I have is "poor". It doesn't matter what one owns or how they pay/paid for it. What matters is how happy they are in life. Some of my best days camping were spent with my future wife in an old canvas tent with yard sale pots and pans, etc. Material things do not make a person.....

13. seanmartin45699

seanmartin45699 New Member

Nope...Never

Grew up camping at state parks around Texas...most people were actually envious that 12 and 15 year old brothers could set up faster than they could get shore power and sewage connected. (While dad went to get the bait and Lonestar) [}:)] We never stayed in luxury parks, but we never really wanted to either. My older brother moved up to a 28 foot Jayco...but im fine with my bare basic Pony...its the best way to get my boys fishing and off the xbox one consoles...we take boardgames and cards...No Lonestar tho...just Crown. We have always cooked outside, but when the weather turns rough we make sandwiches and I always pack MRE's just in case.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Well, actually, I just purchased a PUP yesterday for $1800 and it has a bathroom with a toilet and shower, a cable TV hook up, and a microwave. [LOL] So we are livin' large right along side them. Just didn't break the bank to do it.

I do agree that everyone should be proud and feel blessed to have any camping equipment at all. I know I sure do! We have been camping in a tent for a quite awhile now, and I love our tent. Just needed something easier to get up off of than air mattresses.

Over the years, we have owned 4 PUPS, one being a hard-sided Apache, 2 travel trailers, and one motorhome. I chose to shop for another PUP. The only other thing I want is a small vintage canned ham trailer to decorate for just myself. One of these days ...

What I dislike about TT's is that there is no outdoor noises like a camping trip should have. My childhood of tent camping has me programmed to need that part. Also, TT's are not roomy enough. With PUPs, the bed ends slide out so you have all that space for other things. It's my favorite kind of camper.

I definitely do NOT feel like a second class citizen. I have no desire to camp in a bus. I may get too old to set up a PUP, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

15. davev98498

davev98498 New Member

No.

My pop-up is old, and so is my car, but I keep them both in nice condition - clean and relatively shiny, and with good tires, etc.

As others in this thread have noted, why should I feel poor or 'less than' because I am not tens of thousands of dollars in debt? The last thing I want is a complicated mechanical nightmare to pay for, insure, and maintain that only gets used a few times, more or less, per year.

I happen to have a humble occupation, too: I am a barber. But that doesn't mean I'm a low-life or an idiot, opinionated or otherwise; I read well, try to think critically, respect others and expect others to respect me in return; my customers range from janitors to college professors and everything in between.

How is any of that '2nd class' ?

I'm out to have some quiet and uncomplicated time off; my rig reflects that. Since I'm a barber - sort of a professional talker - I happen to like silence and solitude, so camp-grounds are a problem for me. I have found an isolated place to set up by the coast where I can hear the surf, fly a kite, walk in the dunes, or ride my bicycle. It's perfect for me. I have been going there before I got the pop-up, and I hope to enjoy more years of going there with the pop-up. In the meantime I wish for you all many happy camping trips, wherever you may decide to go. :) [PU] [SUN]

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I always wondered why you would even care what other campers think of your camping style.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

^ Agree..I really don't care what others think!!! [:D]

We go camping and enjoy ourselves and if we are with friends we all enjoy each others company!!

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that I am a second class citizen. I might of been middle class at one time but money is so tight that I feel more second class or lower class. I can barely afford to use my popup camper. Even though I am an Electrical Engineer.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I sure never have. It never occurred to me that anyone concerned themselves with this until seeing this thread.

I really like your answer. I don't want debt either. It stresses me out. The last thing I need in my life is additional stress, and camping is a time for me to forget about life for awhile. I can't imagine having a big fancy rig and having to think about the big fancy payments the entire time I was camping. Things that are not paid for are not truly yours. Life can, and does, change in the blink of an eye.

I'm happy with what I can afford to pay cash for. Very thankful for everything I have. I am still thankful for our nice tent. I love enjoying what I have and not having to worry about losing it tomorrow. I keep my belongings clean and nice as well.

20. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

I've always thought it's all about how well you camp, not what you're camping in. I take pride in how I set up and keep camp. The sense of accomplishment when you can set up a comfortable campsite and weather the uh 'weather' is one of my motivations, call it the engineer mindset if you will. It's about enjoying some of the simple pleasures, eating well, get out in nature and just 'being' for awhile. I don't think I would get near as much satisfaction out of flipping switches, turning knobs and turning the TV on and off for three days. I choose the pup life because that is exactly how I want to camp, no shame in that.