Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nah, not at all. That's why I figured I better explain the "personal reason." [;)]

Many times I try to express myself in writing and it comes out the wrong way. I have absolutely nothing against the good people of Ohio. :)

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

This might make me a fake camper but after years of pooping in the woods, I like flush toilets. What ever makes people happy is good. I am not sure if I look down on people but when it is raining out and I look at the campers next to me in a tent, I am glad that I have my popup.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah me too. I don't look down on them though... we tented for years and I still sometimes do.

I'm sure the guy in the $300K pusher feels the same way about us when we're gathered around the fire with a gas lantern, playing cribbage, and he's inside watching Survivor on his 60" OLED TV. while cooking spare ribs in the oven. But I wouldn't have it any other way :)

4. jedi105

jedi105 New Member

Why should I? My Pup is all I need. What's the point of one of those giant bus type things or the huge 5th wheels. That's not camping. My Pup Sleeps 6 (yeah, right...but that's what its advertised for) but guess what, it sleeps me, the wife and our 3 year old grandson. What more can a person want? The only luxury item we have in our pup, besides a bed off the ground and a roof over our heads when it rains, is a TV for the little one to watch if he gets bored. I have my book reader and the phone with Bluetooth Bose speaker. Country music sounds great coming out of it and I have all my tunes in my pocket. Who needs anything more?

5. Orchid

[LOL] Our supposedly sleeps 6 as well. Six small children maybe. I think all RVs overestimate the number of people who can sleep in them, just like tent manufacturers. I suppose if some slept on the floor ....

But, yes, it is perfect for us. [:D]

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

For a variety of reasons which can't be discussed here I feel like a 2nd class citizen.....but not because of my pup. [:D]

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Yeah I love them saying that. In reality no room to put clothes for 4 at a time.

8. Orchid

Once again reinforces the fact that our families are meant to be friends. [LOL]

9. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

If you want redemption, camp at Cloudland Canyon. There were more PUPS and tents than I've seen in a long time and it wasn't a rally either.

10. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Only times I've ever camped at Cloudland were in tents. We keep planning to take the Aliner there but just end up going in other directions. Last weekend we were at a campground on GA/SC border. On the loop we were in we were one of only two non-tent occupied sites. It was great ambling around there at night seeing so many people tenting, even if we were camping in the van. The next day we found the loop with all the RVs but the PUPs still outnumbered them. Maybe it's a GA thing?

11. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I have never felt a urge to try to control what others think. You looking at me, don't like what you see? That's easy, turn your head.
    Setting up as camp host, another host asked "You going to spend a whole month in that?" Yes, this time last year, I was spending a couple weeks at a time in a 5X8 space, with 8-11 hours a day in a 4X7 office. Yes, the view out the office window changed all the time.
    Do I look down on people in tents? No, but I do look down on stupid. Once, I backed into a site, saw the folks on the next site where unloading their tent and gear. Looked at my site, the hillside above both sites, the slope of the road, the little flat spots in both sites and the sky. "Hey, do you want to swap sites so you can put your tent up on that area instead of in that hole?" "Duck you man! We got here first! We picked this site!" A couple of hours after I had gone to bed, started to pour. I had get up to watch; A area about the size of a football field, part of it paved, was draining around the hi pad in my site into the low spot their tent was on. Water was a couple inches deep under their car, would of been no problem under the PUP. After they where in the car, I watched a air mattress float out of the tent...

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

How dare you to offer them a nicer site...good story and a point well made.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Did the guy actually say F U . Wow that is pretty bad.

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Over the weekend, I backed my pup down a curvy loop swinging it left and right for 250ft and shoehorn parked the 19 foot popup camper on a tent site All action done in complete darkness. Nobody watching couldn't even understand how I did it. No second class feeling there and probably will inspire more pup buyers.

15. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

At 75 years old with about 68 years of camping behind me, I am at the place where I really don't give a hoot what other people think about my choice of camper. We have gone from tents, to popup, to motorhome, to 5th wheels, back to tent and now with a 2002 Coleman Laramie. We spent 15 years as full time campers in 2 5th wheels, the last one was as big and well equipped as you can buy, but after starting full timing we soon discovered that living in a rv, isn't really camping, and bought a tent and gear, so that we could get away and camp. Now that health has forced us to move into an apartment to be close to the kids and grandkids, we decided to get a used popup because we just don't want to stop camping. We have camped next to motorhomes that cost over a million dollars, and never felt we were second class, we just enjoy camping with whatever works best for us at the time.

16. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

I agree with this. LOL! I love it and want a bumper sticker just like it. The whole reason I chose a pop up and an old one is so that I can pay it off and have no payment. I also want my kids to spend their time outside and not be inside watching TV or playing video games. I want us all to be outside enjoying the sunshine (or rain) and actually camping.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

It's Baaaaaack! After a 3 1/2 month break lol.

18. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Never! I've pulled into state and National Parks where all are welcome. I've selected choice spots as my 8-footer parks anywhere. I watch in awe and admiration, and sometimes help guide big rigs into parking spots. I hear the branches screeching across their body as trees sweep the sides of the big boys. I've seen cones set up by rangers so that the campers protruding into the roadway are not a hazard to others. Even though the big rigs are 'home ready' and set up is minimal, I often set my pup up before some of these monsters get parked. I'm very happy with a pup oblivious to cable, surround sound and microwave.
    Now I'm not a social butterfly so I'm sure I'm quite as content with mine as others are with theirs.

ST Dog likes this.
  19. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Thanks ST Dog :D!

20. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

When other off-road enthusiasts see my setup in the backcountry, I get nothing but compliments. I seldom give invites to join my fire, but when I do, the talk always gets back to my rig and mountain explorations. Sure beats sleeping on the ground is snake country! I don't turn around when the pavement ends.