Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

It doesn't matter how you feel when you're in the campground. What matters is how you feel at the end of the weekend as you drive past all the hardsiders waiting in the 1.5hour lineup for the dump station. [put&pu]

Natureangel likes this.
  2. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Is this in aggressive wild animal (bear) country? There are some campgrounds around here that don't allow tents or canvas trailers specifically because of the bears that frequent the area...

Occasionally I do feel a bit jealous of the people with rolling mansions with lots of comfy interior seating, air conditioning, full bathroom, etc. But then I remember that I don't have to make room (or pay) to store a city bus or pay for the ridiculous amount of gas that it takes to move it around. :)

3. campagain

campagain Active Member

I only recently learned the term GLAMPING, which basically applies to ppl in full size trailers. I grew up in a regular camper and can see how pup owners might get looked down on, but now that I am the one paying the bills, the pup is just fine for me and the kids. I simply can't afford a full size trailer and a year of site rent.

4. unixTechie

unixTechie New Member

Our PUP is a vintage 1965 model that's been in use by my family since it was new. I'm the 2nd generation owner. Invariably, someone will stop, ask something like "What year is it?", and an interesting conversation is launched, and a new friend is made. I'm sure that kind of thing never happens with those in the giant "houses on wheels".

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Similarly, I have a somewhat uncommon Palomino hard-sided popup. The hard sides do not make it a hybrid or travel trailer; it's definitely still a popup, and it usually gets questions from other popup or tent campers. People in TT's and 5th wheels think of me as a bug on their windshield, I feel.

unixTechie likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Glamping is not about camping in a full size trailer. Glamping is done in tents, trailers, motorhomes, cabins, etc. It is about having all the "glamorous" amenities. It started with places in Africa that provided real beds and all the frills in tents for tourists.

Many people in motorhomes and full size trailers camp in a more rustic form than many folks in popups. For example, I have far fewer amenities when I camp in my motorhome than most of the popup owners on this forum.

That's not a dig at anyone. We all camp in the way that works best for us. None is better or worse by default - just better or worse for you individually.

Pommom70 likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Ww all do camp in the way best for us at any given time. We had amenities to be comfortable while in tent, popup, and TT. [One biggie for me has always been comfortable seating, which has only gotten more important as my back, neck, and shoulders have gone downhill.] While our 17' TT has more amenities than the cabin I grew up enjoying, it has fewer than some popups.
    Glamping can be anything the camper wishes. At one of the Sisters on the Fly events I attended earlier this year, there were sisters in tents with carpets, and drapes, etc. and some camping in bare bones trailers - vintage, converted cargo trailers, etc. I'm sure I'll see the same this week, when I go to another large gathering - there will be everything from Airstreams to a tent village, and some staying in the bunkhouses. One of the SOTF mottoes is "We have more fun than anyone" (that may debatable, but the sentiment is there), and they certainly try to do so. Another is "Be Nice", which I appreciate.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I see this type of question being asked in every forum about pups, TTs, TCs, old RVs, tents, and so on.

Honestly, I've never understood the purpose of the question. Other than "can I camp at this place with my rig", I don't care what someone else thinks about my choice of RVs. And I suspect that most people don't care about my choice either. So asking this question is usually more about trying to justify your choice in your own mind by arguing it's somehow better in general - rather than just saying "it's what works for me" and not knocking all the choices you didn't choose.

davekro and Minimalist like this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Set up at the campground an hour or so ago, 3 other pop ups there.
    Usually we're the only one.

1380ken likes this.
  10. Senft78

Senft78 New Member

What's a free cleanup weekend? Sorry I'm a little slow.

11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

There was a fifth wheel rig clear at the end of the loop the other night.
    I went to the bathroom about midnight and he had so many LED lights on, around, and under this thing that it looked like a UFO landing.
    Someone must have said something to him because a couple hours later they were off.

12. cottonlily

cottonlily New Member

We bought a pup because it's best for us right now but we've actually owned a "real" camper that costed less. We stayed Labor Day weekend at a fully booked private cg right beside an enormous TT. We felt like the ugly duckling. Until both his front stabilizers snapped off and the tt lurched forward a foot because he hadn't set it up properly... And I remembered what's important is we're doing what we can handle and also enjoy; to each their own. The kind of places that look down on pups isn't anywhere I want to stay, regardless of what I'm staying in.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I loved being the oldest pup in the lot. While I am in a TT now, it was never about peer pressure to move up, it was the size of my kiddos turning into teens. I love my janky popup and that is why I still own the finest 1984 StarCraft in the land...
    upload_2019-9-13_7-9-57.png

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Never felt like a 2nd class anything. I fully enjoy the size of mine, and it was so much cheaper than getting a TT. Granted, I hate the set up/tear down time, but once it is up and arranged the way I like it I am very comfortable. I don't ever see myself getting a 5th or a huge TT - 27' is my max as I won't pay for storage somewhere else, and I don't want to get a big TV to handle anything bigger than 27'.

Got my eye on one floorplan that I really like, but given my current use of the pup and the cost, it just doesn't make sense financially to make the jump.

davekro likes this.
  15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am a second or third class citizen, somewhere just under the middle.

16. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I shared campgrounds a few times and the ferry once with a caravan of 30 Airstream travelers in Newfoundland and they were quite friendly.

17. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

On the contrary, I feel like the king of the campground...Those poor saps all closed up in their little tin boxes.

18. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

Meh, I'd have to care what other people think about me to care. I do what I do because it's what works for me. Not your thing, ok, no skin off my teeth.

19. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada New Member

I love my popup. If anyone in a TT thinks this rig is second class, they can go pound sand. Roomy. Air flow. View. All the comforts of a big TT and easy to camp off grid. 2 batteries. 2 LP tanks. Solar. And at 2700 lbs, easy to tow. 20190703_155659.jpg 20190703_160108.jpg 20190705_171706.jpg 20190713_170921.jpg 20190830_190412.jpg

20. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Just remember the difference between the Pup owners and the big MH or TT is only about 10bucks. They only pay about 10 bucks more a night to camp in the same place you are. Hard to look down your nose at somebody over 10bucks. So enjoy the fact that you get to camp a bit cheaper and still your doing the same things. Plus you get the entertainment of watching us try to back our TT and huge motorhomes in. Its also free. Ive seen some great friday night family arguments. Poor father with 4 screaming kids wife outside directing little yappy dogs on 30ft flexi leashes. Usually starts with WHAAAAAAAT I cant hear or see you!!! Where do you want it exactly? Is it level yet! Are some of my fav lines.