Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

This thread brings up my past conversation with my dad. He travels to Alaska, parked in Homer for Halibut and salmon fishing. He camps out with his RV. He told me this story.... He walked to the Russian river looking for an open spot for him to fish... he mentioned that many of fishermen/women use expensive fishing rods. His was from Walmart... He found a spot and asked the fisherman on his right where he is from... Alaska was the relpy... again he asked the one on his left... same question with same answer. He said that he is from N.C. He got in the water with his "cheap" rod and caught one, then in a short time later, caught another one. 10 minutes later he caught his limit of salmon. He said bye to both fishermen who did not catch anything with expensive rods. No sound.... from both men I laughed so hard... I have rods from WM as well. My dad never felt like a 2nd class citizen with cheap rods.

2. eckertsbrew

eckertsbrew Member

One question to ask yourself is......... How is your relationship with your ex? If you do not get along it might be that your DD does not want to subject you to the possibility of running into your ex at the campground. Just a thought..... Kids are way smarter than we give them credit for.

On the 2nd hand subject.

I am one, not to care about what others think of me, my PUP or my TV. I have always and will continue to live by the Golden Rule.
    I drive a 1974 Jeep Wagoneer which is that great 70's green and pull a 87' Palomino. We get many people giving us thumbs up everywhere we go. We enjoy both of them and will continue to travel to any campground we wish too. If PUP's are not welcome we will move on as this is not a culture I want to introduce my kids too. Enjoy what you have as much as you can, cause you never know when it all could end. I always try to get my kids to act goofy when we are vacation and they get so embarrassed, I remind them that they will most likely never see the people around them every again. JUST HAVE FUN AND ENJOY.

Keith

Senft78 likes this.
  3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

A couple observations on this topic:

First off, I find it somewhat ironic that this topic, or some variant of this topic comes up with frequency....yet I can't recall any posters ever having any first hand, actual experiences with this sort of snobbery. These threads are always somewhat similar in that they start with...."someone told me.....or a friend said....blah blah blah, and they'll all laugh at me in my p'up." To which pretty much everyone responds....."never experienced any of that." In a way, it reminds me of those viral type emails that circulate and are ful of rumor and innuendo....but enough people read it and believe it to the point that rumor and innendo become cold hard fact. Once that happens, people start bashing on that "other group" even though nothing has actually taken place to warrant the reaction. All of a sudden you have some people are saying, "they can keep their MoHos and 5ers and shove it up their @$$, etc" (Ok...maybe a bit of an exageration, but you get my point). Basically, we end up with some sort of reverse snobbery and p'ups rule and everyone else can suck it.....again, a completely unwarranted reaction given that no actual greivance has taken place.

Secondly, while "snobbery" exists; it has been my experience that those feelings of being looked down upon or laughed at by others.....or whatever, generally stem more from personal issues and personal feelings of inadequacy....self esteem issues and inferiority complex rather than any actual snobbery. I have a cousin who is very much this way....I don't know where the behavior stems from; whether it's from being teased or bullied in youth.....life not turning out exactly how it was envisioned...I don't know. What I do know is that these types of people generally can be described as card carrying members of the "keeping up with the Jones' club". They're continously worried about what other people think, to the point where they will twist words around and misinterpret just about everything.....someone gives them a glance or "look" and it becomes, "that dude is trying to start some $#!&"....when in reality, they're probably just looking at somethig or someone across the bar.....someone is yucking it up in the corner and it becomes, "what's their problem, what are they laughing at."......uh, most likely someone said something funny and they're probably completely oblivious to your very existence.

I see this behavior in far too many people, especially in the business world....they're always trying to impress you with something...they're car...they're watch....their incredibly overpriced tie or suit.....they're $5K set of golf clubs that don't help them hit the ball any better than I can with my $500 set from Costco. They generally come off as fake and it makes you want to slap them and say, "dude....just be yourself....just be real; your phony bologna is wearing thin." Of course, these are also the people that themselves become the snobs they spend so much time worrying about.

Just get out their and [CP] .....

4. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I don't think it's been mentioned, but it could be that your daughter may be feeling envious of her camping friends that go out in a 5er or MoHo. That she doesn't want to run into her friends because she's afraid that they will make fun of her.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

it's all about perspective. the 40 Days of Purpose a few years ago taught me a lot of things, but one thing just really stuck with me. one chapter was all about 'we don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are'. and it's so true. it's already been said, anyone who looks down on you because you're in a popup has a problem, some kind of superiority complex or something. but no one can make you feel less about yourself than you feel anyway.

this is something that a kid has to learn. does your daughter have an inferiority complex about a pup vs a MH or TT? i've camped where there were nothing around us but big MH and 5rs, and paid no attention to them. at our Rally this past weekend, the guy on the site next to gajudy was in one of those 40 ft diesel pushers, the flat screen on the side of it is bigger than the one i have in my living room! oh yeah, and he couldn't stay away from us! he made several sly comments throughout the weekend, and we shot it right back at him, with judy getting him best of all when he said 'i'm not trying to impress anyone' and she said, don't worry, you're not! [LOL] [LOL]

ok, so if you've looked at my sig, or know a little about me, you'll say 'yeah but you have a TT' ... but i've owned 3 pups, and mainly swithed back OVER (not UP) to a TT because of my disabilities and how much easier set up and take down are. and you can go read up on our GA Fall rally and see i'm one of the ones trying to help organize it all. i don't look down on anyone in a pup, but i certainly don't look UP to anyone in a MH either. and for those of you who insist 'it ain't camping without canvas' well, you have every right to be wrong, i'll organize the next rally with all you puppers too, and enjoy the rain on my TT roof just as much as you enjoy it on your canvas

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Nope, Never! I'm not ashamed! I've had a TT before and now I have a Pop-Up. I'd rather have the Pop-Up! That's the best camping. Hold your head high and forget those others who think they're better than you! Pop on!

Campit

7. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

One time in our 7 years of camping have I encountered a jacka$$ [;)] that made a comment about our pup - my true southern "b-witch" came out and before I realized it I had commented back "yeah, it's a cheap popup, but it's paid for, how about yours" [}:)] I wasn't sure if he was going to say something, spit at me or swing at me [B)]. I just turned and politely stomped back into my cheap popup and wait for my hands to stop shaking and then went on about my day.

I don't think I'm any better than a sleep on the ground tent camper, and I'm certainly not going to be made to think that I am less than someone in a motorhome or a fancy TT - different strokes for different folks. They make campers just like God made us, all different because it would be a boring camping world if they were all the same :wink:

8. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Heck i am proud t o be a second class citizen in my pup! If anybody has a problem with its tbeir problem not mine.

9. turborich

turborich Active Member

what about the folks tent camping on the ground, Do you look down on them? I sure don't. As long as we're all out enjoying nature that's all that matters in my book.

10. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Nope i feel ok i don't care what they think.

11. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

some day I wanna own a big ole +$100,000 RV so I can pull my PUP around with, and set up my lil 2 man Army hooch that I kept all these years :)

12. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We're in between with the TrailManor and, like, Charles, enjoy the sound of rain on the roof except it's louder with the pinecones and branches bouncing off!

13. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Uh, I'm the one that has come down on "RV'ers". I have friends and even my DD and her husband have caught my sarcasm about their house on wheels. But to be honest, it's all in fun. I admire the RV'ers for what their rigs have in them. I have never gotten anything but good will from any RV'ers I've camped near or with. I think campers no matter what they use, are real friendly people.

14. swampcamper

swampcamper Hi Y'all

Yes, and I loved the feeling of being a second class citizen......Hakuna Matada...........No Worries

15. bob814u

bob814u New Member

I did when we first started, like twice. I love the sounds at night that the insulation would keep out. Look at all the dusting and cleaning that you have to do with a monster. Look at the expense of the insurance and a larger tow vehicle. We love our PUP but wife makes me promise "One day darlin" after we get set up. I made shelving units to go in to set food and stuff on plus the stuff seems to get heavier as the years go by. Keep your chin up and remember: When someone is looking down their nose at you, you see that they need to clean their nose. LOL!!!

16. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

I never had that feeling when I camp in public campground except for one time. On my way to Estee park, I got stranded, so ended up in an RV resort, Tigerrun, near Beckenridge, CO. The office was closed, nowhere to go, so I just came in for a night.

The moment I entered the park, it was WOW. I saw expensive motor home, expensive boat, people with Quads, tennis court, club house, pool, wifi access. Here is the picture of my site.

[​IMG]

Next day when I came in the office to pay for the night, I read a policy and it said popup was not allowed, but no one asked me to leave. I asked the site owner if they had any problem with our stay, and she said we could stay as long as we wanted.

I could have stayed another day. I should, I should. That park was a heaven.

https://tigerrunresort.com/resort.php

17. RobertGreenlee

RobertGreenlee Member

I was curious so I sent them a email about their Popup policy. I'm guessing that they want to cater to higher end clients but their criteria on the website for campers is that they must be self contained with kitchens, toilets, and showers. My PUP has all that so I asked how firm their policy is. I'm not sure if I'd want to pay their rates but it might be fun to camp there just to make a statement. :)

18. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello There

I once pulled an 27 foot Airstream and made an resversation at Tiger Run.
    It was dark when I pulled in and not a sole to either side.

When it was time to leave the next morning I had " a quarter million to each
    side of me".

Later that same summer The Vintage Airstream Club had an National Rallye
    there. We stayed home.

Now back To The Topic: I feel Great with our 1981 Starlite XL 1505 .

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Let 'em laugh if they feel the need. I'd rather be able to sleep at night and not have to worry about losing it all.

20. smoreking

smoreking Member

I never feel like a 2nd class citizen. Maybe more like a 1st class redneck. I mean, I've got a tent on wheels with a/c and when I fold it up, I could carry a boat on top. Just kidding, but my first graywater tank was a tractor hydraulic fluid bucket. I have no doubt that some people will look down their noses at others, but as another poster already mentioned, some people may just be checking out your rig. I've always sort of kept to myself and its hard for me to just walk up to a stranger and start talking, but one of my favorite things to do is walk or bike around CG looking at campers and other setups for ideas. For example, I am always curious about teardrops and old vintage pups so I may unknowingly stare in aww of its beauty while the owner (that I can't even see) looks back at me through tinted windows thinking otherwise. I think the lady who started this thread just may have a competitive ex-husband whom was overheard by their daughter.