Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

While I don't know the financial status of those in the $200k+ MH/TT, I'm guessing most of them are paying $1000/mo or more on their "campers". I reckon the difference between me and those guys is wwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than 10 bucks... Mine's paid for. Just sayin'.

2. davekro

davekro Active Member

Wow, I love the slide & pop outs! What brand, model & year is this?
    (Would be good to add this info to a signature :eek:)

What is box length (w/o front storage), dry and GVWR Weights?
    We recently got a 10 foot box for first pup.But we sure like the idea of a slide out and a pop out for a future upgrade.

3. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada New Member

It's a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2514G. 12' box. 2700 lbs dry weight. 600 lb cargo limit. Came with 2 LP tanks, 2 24group batteries, and all the regular pup stuff like furnace, 3way fridge, water heater. Oh, and heated mattresses which are awesome. We are really enjoying it.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

What do you tow it with, and how does that work for you? We have a midsized SUV we just got for our trailer with a 5000 pound capacity. I am curious of others with similar vehicles towing 3000 to 3200 pound (loaded) trailers.

5. HappyCamperCanada

HappyCamperCanada New Member

20190705_171706.jpg
    I tow it with a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has a tow capacity of 3600 lbs. I have the tow package installed which includes a beefier back bumper, wiring harness and trailer brakes. The pup has about 300lbs of cargo so gross weight is about 3000 lbs. It tows well. Gas mileage isn't horrible.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We just got back from a week on the Oregon coast. At one of the state parks we stayed at, I overheard an older woman talking to the man she was walking with as she passed our site. "Oh, how cute", she said, "an older pop up". I just smiled and walked past her into our campsite.

There were very many larger rigs where we stayed. (As expected, since all the sites had electric and water hookups.) Aside from that woman's comment, I never would have thought twice about our rig as compared to all the others out there. I'm of the mind that, in a situation like this, no one else can make me feel "less than" because of the way I choose to camp. We had a wonderful time, and more than a couple of times I did think to myself how glad I am that our rig is paid for. :)

7. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

You cant enjoy camping more than somebody else! Doesnt matter what you camp in. If you have to ask yourself this question you will never be happy. Somebody is always going to have something bigger and better.

Orchid likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

So true! I've always thought this was a ridiculous thread.

I have never had a "keep up with the Jone's" attitude. I couldn't care less what anyone drives, lives in, camps in, etc. By the same token, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of what I drive, live in, or camp in.

It's complete foolishness.

Have fun and be happy and don't worry about anyone else!

alabasterjar and WrkrBee like this.
  9. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Thanks for posting your pictures...I also have a Dodge Caravan and it is good to see someone else towing with one. I was concerned about towing with it. And my Pup will be the same size as yours when done.

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Until I saw this thread, this question never came to mind. I think though, many are jealous with envy that I have such a nice camper. 9EB285DC-7079-4E29-99D3-407683B4A1F4.jpeg

1380ken, davekro and Tom Jordan like this.
  11. davekro

davekro Active Member

Are you speaking of your wonderful pup, or your DW fellow 'camper'?
    ;o)

Dan from Troup likes this.
  12. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Yeah i was meaning campsite costs vs size of camper!

13. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

That’s funny.

14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My mom and her husband were full timers in a large bus. Even though their bus had all the fancy features, set up and take down weren't any faster than me and my pup. Driving is easier pulling a pup, fuel mileage is better in a pup. Sure they had more space and few extra comforts but its camping, not living away from the house. I'll probably eventually get a motorhome but only because I want go full time.

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

If there is anyone that is trying to make you feel second class for camping in whatever you have vs. what they have, they are engaging in pointless snobbery and THEY are the ones with the problem.

I have friends that are ultralight backpackers, and are known to hike into our site and stage with us for a day or two before rolling up and hiking on down a trail or two, and they got some guff from a young couple with their house sized fifth wheel and new diesel that cost more than my house, that is until my friends started showing them the photos of all the fantastic places their feet took them to camp to that a large rig couldn't even dream of going.

Camp the way you like to camp, be respectful of others, and if others can't be respectful of you, tell them to pound sand.

Toedtoes and Econ like this.