Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
I love my popup. If anyone in a TT thinks this rig is second class, they can go pound sand. Roomy. Air flow. View. All the comforts of a big TT and easy to camp off grid. 2 batteries. 2 LP tanks. Solar. And at 2700 lbs, easy to tow. View attachment 55619 View attachment 55620 View attachment 55621 View attachment 55622 View attachment 55623
Wow, I love the slide & pop outs! What brand, model & year is this?
(Would be good to add this info to a signature :eek:)

What is box length (w/o front storage), dry and GVWR Weights?
We recently got a 10 foot box for first pup.But we sure like the idea of a slide out and a pop out for a future upgrade.

Aug 11, 2019
Nova Scotia, Canada
Wow, I love the slide & pop outs! What brand, model & year is this?
(Would be good to add this info to a signature :eek:)

What is box length (w/o front storage), dry and GVWR Weights?
We recently got a 10 foot box for first pup.But we sure like the idea of a slide out and a pop out for a future upgrade.

It's a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2514G. 12' box. 2700 lbs dry weight. 600 lb cargo limit. Came with 2 LP tanks, 2 24group batteries, and all the regular pup stuff like furnace, 3way fridge, water heater. Oh, and heated mattresses which are awesome. We are really enjoying it.

davekro

Super Active Member
Aug 30, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
What do you tow it with, and how does that work for you? We have a midsized SUV we just got for our trailer with a 5000 pound capacity. I am curious of others with similar vehicles towing 3000 to 3200 pound (loaded) trailers.

Aug 11, 2019
Nova Scotia, Canada
20190705_171706.jpg
What do you tow it with, and how does that work for you? We have a midsized SUV we just got for our trailer with a 5000 pound capacity. I am curious of others with similar vehicles towing 3000 to 3200 pound (loaded) trailers.
I tow it with a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has a tow capacity of 3600 lbs. I have the tow package installed which includes a beefier back bumper, wiring harness and trailer brakes. The pup has about 300lbs of cargo so gross weight is about 3000 lbs. It tows well. Gas mileage isn't horrible.

MsMac

May 19, 2016
We just got back from a week on the Oregon coast. At one of the state parks we stayed at, I overheard an older woman talking to the man she was walking with as she passed our site. "Oh, how cute", she said, "an older pop up". I just smiled and walked past her into our campsite.

There were very many larger rigs where we stayed. (As expected, since all the sites had electric and water hookups.) Aside from that woman's comment, I never would have thought twice about our rig as compared to all the others out there. I'm of the mind that, in a situation like this, no one else can make me feel "less than" because of the way I choose to camp. We had a wonderful time, and more than a couple of times I did think to myself how glad I am that our rig is paid for. :)

Adam Connolly

May 18, 2018
You cant enjoy camping more than somebody else! Doesnt matter what you camp in. If you have to ask yourself this question you will never be happy. Somebody is always going to have something bigger and better.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
You cant enjoy camping more than somebody else! Doesnt matter what you camp in. If you have to ask yourself this question you will never be happy. Somebody is always going to have something bigger and better.

So true! I've always thought this was a ridiculous thread.

I have never had a "keep up with the Jone's" attitude. I couldn't care less what anyone drives, lives in, camps in, etc. By the same token, I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of what I drive, live in, or camp in.

It's complete foolishness.

Have fun and be happy and don't worry about anyone else!

kmbarreiros

Jun 17, 2014
Fairhaven, MA
I love my popup. If anyone in a TT thinks this rig is second class, they can go pound sand. Roomy. Air flow. View. All the comforts of a big TT and easy to camp off grid. 2 batteries. 2 LP tanks. Solar. And at 2700 lbs, easy to tow. View attachment 55619 View attachment 55620 View attachment 55621 View attachment 55622 View attachment 55623
Thanks for posting your pictures...I also have a Dodge Caravan and it is good to see someone else towing with one. I was concerned about towing with it. And my Pup will be the same size as yours when done.

Adam Connolly

May 18, 2018
While I don't know the financial status of those in the $200k+ MH/TT, I'm guessing most of them are paying $1000/mo or more on their "campers". I reckon the difference between me and those guys is wwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than 10 bucks... Mine's paid for. Just sayin'.
Yeah i was meaning campsite costs vs size of camper!

bheff

Super Active Member
Feb 24, 2011
NW Arkansas
My mom and her husband were full timers in a large bus. Even though their bus had all the fancy features, set up and take down weren't any faster than me and my pup. Driving is easier pulling a pup, fuel mileage is better in a pup. Sure they had more space and few extra comforts but its camping, not living away from the house. I'll probably eventually get a motorhome but only because I want go full time.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
If there is anyone that is trying to make you feel second class for camping in whatever you have vs. what they have, they are engaging in pointless snobbery and THEY are the ones with the problem.

I have friends that are ultralight backpackers, and are known to hike into our site and stage with us for a day or two before rolling up and hiking on down a trail or two, and they got some guff from a young couple with their house sized fifth wheel and new diesel that cost more than my house, that is until my friends started showing them the photos of all the fantastic places their feet took them to camp to that a large rig couldn't even dream of going.

Camp the way you like to camp, be respectful of others, and if others can't be respectful of you, tell them to pound sand.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I'm curious if any of you have been made fun of or discriminated against because you have a PUP? I recently purchased a 2002 Palomino and was talking to my kids about the campground they go to with their dad (he has a big travel trailer). Anyway my dd12 was telling me that at this particular location there are basically no pups and that if I went there I would likely be made fun of. Mind you that when her father and I were married we had a pup so they have had no problem camping in one. She was just trying to protect my feelings and warn me that this kind of behavior exists among adults! The more I got to thinking about it, the more it hurt my feelings but also made me mad. Yes, I should be confident enough to just suck it up and go down there if I want but it still bothers me. Would I like to have a TT some day? Yes, but it was more important for me to get a camper I could afford (paid cash) and simply get out there and spend quality family with my kids.

I know people everywhere are cruel but hopefully we will all be a little more respectful of others, no matter what they are camping in (or in any situation). Thanks for letting me vent.
To heck with what anyone else thinks...I know if i wanted a travel trailer i could have one.
I have never ran into that problem...most of the time the guys with big travel trailers stop and bs me about my truck.
I camp often with a group of regulars and i am the only one with a pop up...I have yet to be pressured into buying a TT.
Enjoy the experience and dont sweat it.

bobinfleet

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hampshire UK
I can't think why anyone would feel 2nd class no matter what camping style you choose, for me it's all about being outdoors. Years ago in Spain we were winding the pup up at the campsite and before we knew it about 50 people had gathered around looking on in amazement(I don't think they had seen a pup ), we felt like stars on stage[:D]

debbyinkc3

Jan 3, 2020
I'm curious if any of you have been made fun of or discriminated against because you have a PUP? I recently purchased a 2002 Palomino and was talking to my kids about the campground they go to with their dad (he has a big travel trailer). Anyway my dd12 was telling me that at this particular location there are basically no pups and that if I went there I would likely be made fun of. Mind you that when her father and I were married we had a pup so they have had no problem camping in one. She was just trying to protect my feelings and warn me that this kind of behavior exists among adults! The more I got to thinking about it, the more it hurt my feelings but also made me mad. Yes, I should be confident enough to just suck it up and go down there if I want but it still bothers me. Would I like to have a TT some day? Yes, but it was more important for me to get a camper I could afford (paid cash) and simply get out there and spend quality family with my kids.

I know people everywhere are cruel but hopefully we will all be a little more respectful of others, no matter what they are camping in (or in any situation). Thanks for letting me vent.
There is discrimination even in their world. There are campgrounds that wont allow an RV that is more than 10 years old. We have both though, a pop up for traveling, and a travel trailer that is permanently parked on a lake lot. I would never make fun of anyone camping even in a tent!

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
To heck with what anyone else thinks...I know if i wanted a travel trailer i could have one.
I have never ran into that problem...most of the time the guys with big travel trailers stop and bs me about my truck.
I camp often with a group of regulars and i am the only one with a pop up...I have yet to be pressured into buying a TT.
Enjoy the experience and dont sweat it.
Exactly

Nobody ever gave me grief over my old 1998 Coleman Santa Fe, and they certainly haven't mentioned anything with my 2007 Fleetwood Arcadia.

I have however gotten comments about towing the big highwall with a Volvo... XC90 is a towing beast