Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
My brother just bought a used 2010 $50k 5th wheel and get this he actually got a 30 year loan. In answer to your question, no they are not paid off and they likely will be trading it in before the loan is even paid off. I honestly can't wrap my head around why take such a huge loan on a toy you may use about six times in a season unless your retired and your using it nearly full time.
Holy crap!!! I figured that they didn't come cheap, but wow.

In 2021, we briefly entertained the idea of buying a brand new pup. The ones we saw were about $16K. For a POP UP. Let's just say that we went with a used Jayco for less than $5k. :)

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Holy crap!!! I figured that they didn't come cheap, but wow.

In 2021, we briefly entertained the idea of buying a brand new pup. The ones we saw were about $16K. For a POP UP. Let's just say that we went with a used Jayco for less than $5k. :)
Pre Covid a new small 17' TT was just at $10k (show price) and cheaper than a brand new popup. I nearly bought one but changed my mind as I couldn't afford to upgrade my tow vehicle in addition. Ended up buying a used popup with only a one year loan. No regrets. Now, not saying I won't upgrade in the future. Biggest hurdle is the truck.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
My brother just bought a used 2010 $50k 5th wheel and get this he actually got a 30 year loan. In answer to your question, no they are not paid off and they likely will be trading it in before the loan is even paid off. I honestly can't wrap my head around why take such a huge loan on a toy you may use about six times in a season unless your retired and your using it nearly full time.

Indeed. People finance them like they are an asset like their home (heck we only have a 15 year loan on our home lol). But homes are supposed to appreciate. RVs most certainly do not.

It's essentially a very expensive lease. And I mean everyone can do what they like with their own money, but it's not my thing.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We've never felt second class, in our tents, popups, or travel trailers, and I've never seen anyone look down on anyone, at least overtly, nor say anything. There was the time the folks in a big RV across the way set up their chairs so they could watch my friend, her then-11-year-old daughter and I set up my first popup and my tent, but I think that was more entertainment than snootiness.
One way we look at it is that we camp to explore, occasionally to travel cross country to visit family and friends (not since my MIL died, though), or to visit friends in AZ. We started camping on our honeymoon, it allowed us not only to do a trip we could not have afforded to do in hotels, we also stayed in places where hotels were many miles away. We continue to do that. So, we compare what we would spend on accommodations and eating out all the time to camping by whatever method we're using, cooking our own food. Even these days, taking the trips that we do in the trailer would be a stretch money-wise, or not the same otherwise, given places to stay where we want to go.
One of our favorite places to camp is Colorado is 45 minutes from the nearest town, although there are some cabins between camp and town. My husband can hike into wilderness from camp, We think that's "1st class" by our definition.
it's not always really cheap, such as our up-coming Thanksgiving trip to visit friends in Tucson. This time, we'll stay at a resort KOA, so it will cost more than the state park we sometimes camp in. Pretty much the same mix of campers between them, though there a few more popups and tents at the state park (depends on the loop, and last time we were there we had a horrible storm that pretty much cleared out the popups and all the tenters - it wasn't fun in the trailer). Travel time to our friends' house is less than half of what it is from the SP, and still far cheaper than a hotel too. I've stayed at that KOA several times, in the Retro and in the cabins, and it's one where the vast majority of people are friendly, whatever they may be staying in. (I once was there when there was a rally of those 1970's GMC motor homes, that was fun.)

harborthb

Aug 7, 2022
I'm curious if any of you have been made fun of or discriminated against because you have a PUP? I recently purchased a 2002 Palomino and was talking to my kids about the campground they go to with their dad (he has a big travel trailer). Anyway my dd12 was telling me that at this particular location there are basically no pups and that if I went there I would likely be made fun of. Mind you that when her father and I were married we had a pup so they have had no problem camping in one. She was just trying to protect my feelings and warn me that this kind of behavior exists among adults! The more I got to thinking about it, the more it hurt my feelings but also made me mad. Yes, I should be confident enough to just suck it up and go down there if I want but it still bothers me. Would I like to have a TT some day? Yes, but it was more important for me to get a camper I could afford (paid cash) and simply get out there and spend quality family with my kids.

I know people everywhere are cruel but hopefully we will all be a little more respectful of others, no matter what they are camping in (or in any situation). Thanks for letting me vent.
We have a Fifth Wheel 30 ft camper and I hate taking it camping so much work to get it ready. We also have a pup I will take every time. So let em eat dirt.

Mark60

Aug 23, 2020
TN
Besides setting up and breaking down I kind of chuckle at the TT’s, My 20 year old pop up is pretty darn comfy with the furnace and AC and upgraded mattresses. Last camping trip we went on a nice TT set up across the road from us. They brought every thing but the kitchen sink. They put out a monster satellite antenna and wired it up, there was some kind of failure as it was took down and they was listening to a ball game on the radio when I walked by. I got back to my camper and had the TV set up on the outside table hooked to my 20 buck digital antenna I got at a truck stop and was watching a nascar race, I told the wife I kind of felt guilty having all these luxuries while the nice TT had to listen to the radio. They stayed inside there TT most of the time, we was watching TV and grilling in the rain outside and had 4- chairs under the awning having a big old time. Then we got out the lighted corn hole game and built a fire that night and played games. The Rick of green wood they brought did not fair to good in the damp conditions so back in there trailer they went. They kept watching us and finally introduced there selves to us.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
I’ve only experienced the stink eye twice. Once I kinda had it coming, I broke a lift cable on the front that caused the turn buckle on the other cable to spread. End result was the front was propped up with some scrounged lumber. It’s worth noting I was not in a campground but pulled off boondocking on a wide spot along the Gable Creek Access Road.

The second time was while camped at a BLM campground with my eldest son. A group of 5 Volkswagen vans, including a couple nicely appointed Syncro’s, came in and took up space near us. Every evening one of the various owners would walk by on the way to outhouse and give a condescending look. My son would give a greeting every time only to receive nothing in return. I did get my belief in Karma and positive energy renewed this trip though. One evening we were fishing and the group left while we were out. The next morning while we packed up I noticed a fishing pole lying on the table where they camped. Turned out to be a very nice Orvis fly pole and reel combo which We grabbed it up to drop off at the BLM office. On the way to town we found the group, they were hanging out while one of the vans caught a ride to town on a flat bed tow truck.

They sheepishly said thanks for finding their rod and I hope the 50 mile tow bill wasn’t horrible.

Last edited:

Anthony731

Jul 20, 2022
Friendship, TN
Never had the anyone treat us inferior or anything like that. Most of the bigger RV people we meet are surprised and impressed that or Rockwood 2280 has the shower cass in it. Some are a little envious that it sleeps 6 when theirs won't. And ours is paid for!

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I am a second class citizen at most campgrounds and
And i am okay with it and i hold my head high...are tenters then 3rd class citizens?
Just kiddin btw...but i do love the old timers with big rigs who wander over and tell how they had a pop up when first married and look at ours and cant believe how much they have changed...they like the ac on mine and had no idea they come with a fridge and stove...sink and water tank.

Raven

Aug 7, 2022
No. I have never felt like a second class citizen in a tent, a backpack tent, or a pop-up. Although once, many decades ago, some redneck yelled at us to "get a job" as we backpacked along a trail that passed near a small town. Ironically, if the worth of material possessions were the measure of people, our combined gear was likely worth considerably more than his truck. We laughed at him and had a merry few minutes about that idiocy before we moved onto more pressing matters, such as where we might find native prairie grasses.

The point of any of these possessions is to get out and camp. I can't physically manage the backpacking anymore, due to old injuries. But I can still hike, and I can still camp. I just want a softer place to sleep, so now I am getting a sort of comfy tent on wheels.

It would be ... like looking down on someone who lives in a tiny house. That person who has chosen simplicity may have a net worth far exceeding mine. Judging other people by their stuff is ignorant.

THINGS, and the size of them, have no bearing on the measure of a person. And if some redneck yells at me again, I will laugh at him just as I did so many decades ago.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
No. I have never felt like a second class citizen in a tent, a backpack tent, or a pop-up. Although once, many decades ago, some redneck yelled at us to "get a job" as we backpacked along a trail that passed near a small town.

I have to admit wondering where people find the time to, say, hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Don't they work? lol.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
hike the entire Appalachian Trail. Don't they work?
My friend hiked it when he retired. Although I don’t know how he does it. My knee kills me just watching him but he gets around as if he’s 30. Most hikers I see appear in their early 20’s so perhaps they graduated and took a break before finding a job. Where As I had to get a job the second I got the papers How else could I pay all those school loans and credit cards off. i Regret not taking the time off though I thought I could make up for it when I retired, turns out my knee says otherwise.

caverunner17

Jul 22, 2022
I don't necessarily feel any lower in class, but just this past weekend, while we were camping, I saw a lot of RV's and huuuuuuuuuge trailers, and I was like:

1. how in the ******* do people afford all of these today? are they actually paid off???!!
2. how much are they spending in gas to haul these things???

We have 2 Jeeps, 2 pups, 4 kids, and we're good. And everything's paid for!!
My wife and I camped at a state park for the first time in over a decade and I asked the same thing. So many folks had what was easily a $40-50k+ trailer and a $50K+ truck. We wondered what kind of jobs they had to be able to afford the loans and what their house looked like. Of the 100ish sites, there were 4 PUPs, 3-4 tent campers but oh so many 5th Wheels, 30'+ TT's and motorhomes.

We tend to stick with disbursed camping or federal campgrounds which tend to be off dirt forest service roads that many of these giant trailers can't make it down.

IMHO, the biggest issues we had were people having exterior lights on late at night and playing music on a bluetooth speaker. Didn't really go camping to hear me neighbor's rap music playlist.

Latest posts