Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

My whole life, I've felt inferior to most everybody else. About the only time I could care less about what anybody else thinks, is when I'm camping. I'm in my own little nirvana. :)

2. bob814u

bob814u New Member

While camping at Lake Texoma on the Texas side we went to a camp ground to see if it was a nice one. They smirked at us and said "This is a private membership only campground." This was like our second time camping. I felt like the Beverly Hillbillies rolling into Beverly Hills. "Well gosh ma'am. How much is your memberships?" Alot of he hawing around and never getting an answer. Made me want to use their toilet and not flush. I was the bigger man and wandered out to my truck and drove away. The next day our pup got hit by a tornado. Luckily there was a Class A beside us that took the brunt.

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Never. :)

Pup tent dreamer likes this.
  4. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

We were at one of our favorite campground this week that is predominatly been filled with average size TT's. There was us, 2 other pops ups, one hybrid, a truck camper or two and 2 hardsides and the rest were tents! There are about 80 sites and they were about 75% full. I was really surprised. They guy with the biggest TT ran is really noisy generator way too much after pulling on it for about an hour getting it started.

5. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

When we checked in on our last trip a couple weeks ago. There is double lane parking to check in. And we pulled in behind a huge RV and walked up to check in at Fort Desoto. Came out and we could not see our pup. We were totally surrounded by all these huge bus RVs. We just waved at all of them as we walked by and got in and waited till it was our turn to pull out. It was so funny. Didnt bother us one bit.

Sharon

6. Rick Kelley

Rick Kelley Member

We just returned from camping at Foresville SP. About 50% of campers were TT or 5th wheel, 25% pups and 25% Tent campers. Not one single Motor Coach (other than the campground host). In our daily strolls around the campground I was more attracted to the Tent campers than the TT or 5th wheels. Tent campers are so innovative in how they set up their camps and the great variety of tents out there is fantastic. After 30+ years of tent camping, I kinda yearned for the 'good old days'. I thought about this post and realized that I did feel a little like a 2nd class camper........but not to the TT or 5th wheels, it was to the tent campers. [LOL]. But after the 2nd night rains passed thru, I came to my senses and was very happy we moved to pup camping. High and dry! I love seeing all of the different ways people camp.

7. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

When we had the teardrop, we would walk around the campground to see what people were camping in. We would always say "Yep, we're still the smallest". That was fun, but we can't say that anymore. 2nd class citizen? No! Happy camper? Yes!!

8. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

My recent trip, I had two other PUPs in the near vicinity, a HTT, a van camper, and only one 5th wheeler. All of my trips to day I've seen other PUPs.

Midwest state parks still have a great PUP attendance, and more power to them! [8D]

9. dion

dion Member

That's what I used to say when I went camping with my bicycle for transport and pup tent for sleeping. A teardrop pulled by a motor vehicle would have been huge next to my rig. And my current PUP pulled by a minivan would have been a monstrosity.

OK, my PUP can't get into all the places that the smaller rigs can get to, and it's banned from a lot of beautiful walk-in campgrounds that tents can easily access, but I don't let that make me feel like 2nd class citizen. After all, the restrictions aren't personal. I am still welcome in all those places, if I leave my trailer behind.

There are very few places where bigger rigs are welcome but PUPs are prohibited. The vast majority of restrictions I've seen go the other way. But just because there's a restriction on the type of camping equipment allowed doesn't mean that the people are superior or inferior.

10. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

I don't see how what your camping gear is have to relate to a class you would be in. I tent it when I feel like it and I use the p'up the rest of the time. I don't want to own a TT, MH, or 5er, because of a few reason. Too big, more maintance (multiple tires, brakes, motors, etc..). However we may get a MH just for trips out west, don't know yet, and will be in the future if we do. I picked the p'up for a reason, and that main reason is it still feels like camping to me. The canvas, rain, air, etc.. as everyone else pointed out.

There is a campground near me that has one electric loop and always packed with TT/MH/5ers. I see them come in, park, and that is it, I never see them again. What is the point of staying indoor when camping? That is the one thing that I can't understand. I don't look at them any differently and I certainly don't class myself or think they are looking down at me laughing or mocking me. If they are then they need to grow up a little, we're not 6 any more.

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

who makes anyone feel less of themselves? only themselves. do you view yourself a 2nd class citizen at any time? would you if by chance you look over at the red light and see someone in a jaguar, or lamborgini, or any other super expensive car? guess what, they had to stop just like you did when the light turned red.....

if you let yourself feel '2nd' class about the things you have, you have inferiority issues that go way beyond just owning a pop up.....just my [2C]

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

^^^^^^^ This!

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

People that (try to) make you 'feel' like a 2nd class camper are everywhere.

In Korea there are certain campers who have Snowpeak EVERYTHING! Snowpeak is a Japanese brand, and to give you an idea of how expensive it is, a single coffee cup costs ~ $50 here. The big Snowpeak tents cost $2,000.

RV's cost ~$75,000 here because of import taxes! A Coleman Utah Pup was about $30,000 new last year. One of the guys that bought one (of the two that were imported) is now trying to sell it for $16,000, and no one is biting. It's too big for Korea. I guess having the biggest trailer wasn't all it was cut out to be...

Us Pup'ers are outside [PU] most of the time, enjoying camping [CP], while a lot of RV/TT/MOHO campers are inside watching t.v. Nothing second-class 'bout that! [LOL]

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Wow! And it's too big? What is the typical size of the camping site there?

15. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Heck no. [LOL]

16. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I don't care what anyone else thinks. If a pop-up meets my needs/lifestyle, that's what we'll camp in! Don't pay attention to what others say or let them decide for you what you need to do.

17. electronflux

electronflux Member

Not at all. Right now I'm sitting in a CG full of motor coaches, 5ers and TTs, I have the only pup. There was a couple with a motorcycle pup, but they only stayed one night. A few neighbors commented on mine that they wish they could go back to camping in a pup.

As nice as most of these rigs are, I will never own one. There are more places accessible to a pup that one of the bigger rigs would not be able to get in to. Then there's the issues with gas mileage, wind velocity and the like.

I'm happy with my pup.

18. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I do kinda know the feeling, but whats funny is when they come into my pup with the slide and the king beds and realize that my air is just as cold. And oh... mine is paid for... you always see them think about it... grin.

I honestly could afford a 'bigger' rig and someday may goto a Hybrid and fulltime in an RV. But for now. I love the mobility of my pup, ease of towing, still feel like I am camping, etc...

19. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Not at all.... In fact going camping next week and will be the only ones in a pup, the rest of them will be in tents

20. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Never we have been camping since the early 80s and have had lots of time to check lots of campsites privet and state most of the pay us type have a lot of nice things like there own lake and video rooms and more but it just is not like real camping. Most want you to camp at certain time and only when they want you to and all the people from the dark side look down on you. Heck with them we prefer to just have a nice quiet time with nobody wanting us to do this and do that just camp more and camp more often.