Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 10, 2010.

Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

1. Exchange

74 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Refill

307 vote(s)
    77.5%
  3. I make my own gas, pass the baked beans!

15 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I just read the Atlanta Journal-Constitution article about propane refilling shortages vs refilling. I never realized that U-Haul did propane refills and there is one about a mile and a half from my home. I called and the current price is $3.65 per gallon. Since an empty tank takes about 4.3 gallons, this would be only $15.70 to fill a completely empty tank. Now you got to figure that you wouldn't run a tank completely dry, so doing an exchange is giving away gas. You wouldn't dump out the gas left in your car before filling up, why do that with propane?

So this got me thinking, do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I just had to answer "Pass the beans".. [:D]

I actually do both .. I refill two of my tanks, these are the tow primary tanks used with the pup. I also have 3 exchange tanks (long story on why I have 3, but the original retailer made a mistake) I use on the BBQ. Now when my tanks are empty they are empty.. Right now I have 2 empty exchange tanks outside and a 1/2 tank (from the pup) running the bbq, when its empty I'll get it refilled. I generally have 2 full tanks around all the time incase I decide on a Friday afternoon were going camping. Once the tanks on the pup get below 1/2 I use them up on the bbq.

3. br9

br9 Member

There is a refill place less than a half mile from my house.

4. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Refill at 84 Lumber in Cranberry, PA for two reasons -

1. $14.74 to refill a dead empty tank. $13.99 to exchange at a local convenience store. 75 cents is worth knowing it is FULL.

2. Exchange tanks are usually rusty, repainted pieces of junk. I want my own nice, shiny tank.

5. wop31

wop31 Look out world here I come......

I refill at a Master Rental place. They have a pretty good deal where every 4th tank is free. Can't beat that with a stick.

I got fed up when the exchanges started shorting tanks and kept the prices the same.

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Refill because I do not want some unknown tank in exchange. Also, the other posts have given me more reasons.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Lucky for me, I still have a local full service hardware store that refills mine. 13 bucks last time.

8. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

We always exchange tanks theres plenty of places to get LPG in the UK.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've always had the bbq tank refilled, since it was cheaper than an exchange. The current tank on the pup is a smaller size (9# ?), no longer made, at least that we can find. Since it had been a while since we'd used it, before the first trip after renovation, I took it to the U-Haul near us. It cost $4 to have it topped off; they charge by the weight of the actual fill. They also told me where to have it re-certified when required, in a couple of years, but that most people buy a new tank for the $$. We'll probably just buy a new bbq-size one, we measured to make sure that will fit in the cradle on our pup.

I suppose we might opt for an exchange if really stuck somewhere, but that'd be the only reason for us to do so.

10. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Always refill...even though a couple times they over-filled the tank. Both times were when we went camping at Black Rock Mountain SP in NE GA and both were when we went to LP company and not the local store around the corner. Traded tanks a couple times with my home gas grill and have had problemswith getting them to work. Rather just keep refilling here. [BBQ]

11. bradnailer

bradnailer New Member

Always refill. I have a Phillips 66 jobber near so it is convenient. We use our gas grill usually three times a week so I'm often refilling the spare bottle for the grill as well. Plus, they recycle my waste motor oil and I can buy varsol there.

12. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I've always refilled from a U-Haul place just 1/2 mile from my home. Very convenient for me. I haven't had to refill my duel tanks yet on my 08 Yuma, but still go there and refill my BBQ tank about once a year.

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Does anyone else see the logic in "shorting tanks and kept the prices the same"?

Let's see, I use to get 18lbs for $17.95, now I get 15lbs for $17.95. Yes I'm paying the same total but I use to pay .997 cents per lbs, now I'm paying $1.199 per lbs. OK, but I feel better knowing that I'm still paying $17.95.

Hey, wait a minute, they raised the price! I see now.

14. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

To fill mt two tanks it about 24.00 dollars at the hardware store steve does the price you have in your post include Tax like the gas tax ?

15. musicman55

musicman55 New Member

i always refill i like my tanks and i have 3 for my grill at home and 2 on pup happy trails

16. turtle

turtle New Member

There has also been some talk about returned tanks that have been used to transport meth supplies making them dangerous. Some info here http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/methtank.asp. After reading this it looks like you probably wouldn't get one in exchange but you might want to be careful buying one from a garage sale or flea market and having it refilled or finding one laying in a field and using it.
    I always buy new tanks and always refill.

17. bgnwes

bgnwes New Member

i have always exchanged. Is there no hydrostatic testing and regular inspections that you have to do for propane tanks? I just assumed since my scuba tanks and any other type pressurized tanks i have owned needed them then so would propane tanks. I just dont care to fool with that when it comes to propane. The tanks i get in exchange always look good and i have never had a problem. Its around the same price to get them refilled so i just exchange em.

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I exchange old tanks for newer ones that I refill till they are old. Rinse, repeat.

19. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

It costs me about $16.00 to refill my 20lb tank, but to exchange it, costs about $22.00. I generally have my PUP tanks refilled, but will occassionally do the exchange for the barbeque grill tank or the propane fireplace tank - depends upon who is open when I feel the need, and how my wallet feels.

the campgrounds I frequent have propane refill, so that makes my life much easier.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have 3 tanks (2 for the BBQ and 1 for the pup). We will run the BBQ tanks till empty and then use the pup tank. When that goes empty then I get all refilled at $15.00 each.