Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 10, 2010.

Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

1. Exchange

74 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Refill

307 vote(s)
    77.5%
  3. I make my own gas, pass the baked beans!

15 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Word of caution about NEW LP tanks. Make sure the tank is bled completely at the first filling of LP. And WATCH the person do it! When I got my tank filled the first time I forgot to tell the guy it was a new tank and he didn't bother to bleed it. So the tank was only 3/5 full. The next guy I told and he said "ok" but still didn't bleed the tank. I don't think his English was all that good and he did't understand what I said. I finally took it to a place where the guy knew what he was doing and I managed to get just shy of 17 lbs of LP.

Also, I've found that some refill stations around my area are charging $20 to refill, no matter how much they put in the 20 lb tank. If they do refill a completely empty tank (17 lbs = just over 4 gallon of LP), then you just spent $5 per gallon. That about $.61 per gallon or $2.44 per tank more then my local U-Haul dealer. So check the refill stations policy before refilling your tank. If you still have a little LP left in the tank, it could really cost you.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I have 2 twenty pound steel tanks and 2 seventeen pound Clearview tanks. I'll be testing the Clearview tanks this year. Mounting with black rubber super bungees as I don't have time to have brackets remade. The Clearview tanks are taller.

Anyway, I filled both Clearview tanks and I don't think it was more than around $14 and change each.

[:D]

3. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I wish they had a exchange for Batteries, I'd pay $20 for a full one :)

4. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Refill on trailer. Exchange on at home grill

5. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

I refill but I have a tank coming due for inspection. That one I'll exchange. I can pay for the cert or just let be in the cost of the exchange. I'll just look for a probably was new and empty when exchanged and grab that. A buddy got a re-certified tank in an exchange. It had a current date stamped on it but a less than stellar re-paint job.

6. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Before you do that make sure it is not a PRE PURGED tank.
    We sell New Worthington tanks and they are Pre Purged ready to fill they come with a Vacuum pulled on them from the factory so if you insist on watching him bleed off the air you are actually FILLING the tank with air not removing it.
    On tanks that are NOT pre purged they should have a LITTLE bit of gas put in them and then bleed it off and repeated 5 times before being filled

7. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Mounting with bungees? "Black rubber super bungees" or whatever type of bungeeĀ… are there regulations on how tanks are mounted?

8. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Exactly. Why pay more to get less? Most people don't realize the refill tanks are purposely never completely filled.
    I want my propane to last as long as possible.

9. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

My tanks are kept out of the weather and are in good condition. The original from our PuP had an 04-02 date on the collar so I took it this morning to recertify.
    For anyone in the Raleigh, NC area, Apex Propane does the recertification. It took about 10 minutes and cost $5. Personally, I have never done a tank exchange. I tend to purchase and keep things till they wear out.

10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I have them refilled. Occasionally have them recertified. Cheaper than exchanging them.

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Locally, the Refill and Exchange rates are just about the same, $20. What are the current prices in your area?

12. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

I can get a refill for 14.00 and tax here in Florida

13. F239141

F239141 New Member

I refill, I'm anal and all my tanks are nice and clean, a few have gauges. I'm slowly replacing all my tanks with tanks with gauges. I'm working on getting 2 tanks for every gas item I own (house grill, camp grill, portable fireplace) and 3 for the pup. Right now I have 5 20lb and a 110lb back up for the house. Looks like I have 4 more to go.

The place I refill gives you your 10th refill free, it hovers around 2.50 a gallon

14. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

I re-filled at $13.50 a tank the other day.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

In the past I had refilled my nice shiny white tanks, but after a couple of "oops I ran out of gas" events where the only place available was an exchange place I eventually had 2 exchange tanks. So I exchanged after that. I had a changeover regulator and an indicator, but after it switched over, I forgot to refill when I got home. Oops.
    With my upcoming HTT I was thinking of buying 2 30# tanks. If I do, I'll only refill of course. If I'm dopey enough to run out, I'll just buy and exchange 20 pounder.

16. Winchested

Winchested Member

I have 3 tanks now as I got two with the pup. All exchange tanks. Only two places round me refill bout $17. So I will refill now until the tanks need a recert then I exchange them. Never had a bad exchange tank. Always freshly painted with new valves.

Recert on 20 lber is only an external visual anyhow.

17. 64osby

64osby Member

All the exchange places around us have gone to only filling the tanks with 15 lbs. I get mine refilled unless it is no longer working or really old.

18. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I exchange when the tanks are at or past expiration on the tanks!

19. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

I do both....

Depends on age of tank and time frame.

FL Bill

20. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

My local gas station fills them until they won't hold anymore which is great until it starts venting in the back of the truck....