Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 10, 2010.

Do you exchange or refill your propane tanks?

1. Exchange

74 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Refill

307 vote(s)
    77.5%
  3. I make my own gas, pass the baked beans!

15 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Whenever I exchanged tanks on my BBQ I find I have problems with the regulator gumming up. So I don't exchange any more. The local city yard is open to the public it's half the price to have them filled.

2. Back2Basics

Back2Basics Member

I refill my tanks,around here it's cheaper.

3. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

The delta for me is that refill is $3 less than exchange.

The problem is it is that the exchange is 20 miles round trip.

So to save $3 to refill it costs me $3 in gas rather than just exhange down the street.

4. Winchested

Winchested Member

Pretty sure legally they are not allowed to fill over 80% full on LPG tanks, this allows for expansion.

5. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Pretty sure they don't care if you dont lol. I won't use them next time. Gonna take it to our local propane distributor for my next refills.

6. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I refill our 20 lb. grill tanks. However, our TT has 30 lb. tanks. There are not as many places that refill those. I found a service that delivers 30 lb. exchange tanks to my house for $34.95. I could refill them for less, but the price is worth it to not use my time and gas to drive somewhere. You just log into their web site and place your order online. I weighed the first tank they delivered. Based on the tare weight stamped on the tank, I got a full 30 lb. of propane.

I just checked on their price for a 20 lb. exchange. It is $22.95.

Sent from my iPad

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I know a couple of places that will fill tanks past expiration (recertification) dates, but in the event of an accident (and if there is anything left) this is one of the items insurance companies look at, for responsibility (or lack of).

8. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I've only had to refill a tank once. Haven't ever performed an exchange. We really haven't used that much propane in the past, but we will be in the future. After having gone over the costs and not wanting to be stuck with a completely empty tank or "give back" fuel, I've decided to keep with the method of refilling until the tank certification is about to expire and then exchange.

9. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I get mine refilled until revert date. We are planning on painting them like Lego heads so I will for sure refill them then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

I refill our tanks, 2-30 lb on the TT and 1-20 lb I use for the grill and burner. There is an Amish plumbing supply place just over the border from us in MD that charges $5 to refill the 20 lb and $12 to refill the 30's

11. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I've had to do both. Refill and exchange. Got a tank right now I'm going to have to exchange since the knob is broken and won't close or open properly.

12. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

I refill. We recently got a second 30# tank & dual regulator with auto changeover.
    Costs about $25 to refill a tank here.

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have 30 lb tanks, so refilling is the only option....We have a hardware store thar has been selling propane on Sundays only for $1.99 a gallon.

14. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

$1.99 a gallon! That's awesome! I pay $3.99 a gallon. I would kill for $1.99.

15. gruss

gruss Active Member

No need to kill, not sure where your from but that's the everyday price around here @ tractor supply.

16. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

Tractor Supply ? I never new they had propane. I am going to throw my empty tank in my truck and stop by TS on the way home.

17. gruss

gruss Active Member

Not sure if it's regional or not.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've been refilling at the local (2 miles away) KOA; one place I used to go closed a few years ago, at another parking was an issue.
    I had our empty 20# tank filled at the KOA yesterday and it was just under $15. Not sure what the going rate is around town, nor whether it changes this time of year - Balloon Fiesta (AIBF) begins Friday, so that uses a lot of propane. On top of that, there are all the campers and RVs in town for it - there is actually a campground at the Fiesta during it.

19. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

I just called my local TS in McDonough Ga. and they have propane for 1.69 a pound. That's only 8.45 a tank. That's a good deal , thanks

20. gruss

gruss Active Member

1.69 a lb would be almost $7 bucks a gallon?

The 8.45 to fill it up sounds right though, pretty sure it was under 10 bucks last time I dropped one off and there was less than a lb left in it.

Their tanks were the cheapest around here too, and they were actually full by my scale. That's where I got my spare and "discovered" their refill prices.