Do you guys actually cook / bathe / use the restroom in your pop up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lugoismad, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Cooktop -- often (cook pancakes inside in my jammies in the 68* camper, or bundle up and cook on the picnic table in 35*? No contest for me.)

Microwave - often (oatmeal in AM, left overs in evening)

Oven - Once. I store my pots and pans in it 99% of the time. I think I'd prefer a storage cabinet instead.

Toilet - All the time

Sinks - All the time

Shower - only if boondocking, campground showers are sub-par, or it's cold in the campground bathhouse. 90% of the time our bags are stacked in the shower along with the dirty clothes hamper.

I have all of these features, why would I not use and enjoy them? The on-board toilet and sinks allow us to pick a spot as far from the restrooms as possible, which is nice for noise and foot/car traffic. Families with small children like to stick close to the bath house for obvious reasons. I like to let them have that area!

All of these luxuries make camping very easy and enjoyable for me. I get to enjoy the outdoors, hike, mountain bike, relax, sit by the camp fire, etc without giving up anything!

2. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Our current popup is a Niagara that has a HW heater and nice big double sink that is great for doing dishes in, it has a large 3 burner stove with oven, a built-in microwave, a built-in outside 2 burner hi-pressure stove, outside shower with hot & cold water, and a hard walled bathroom with shower and china bowl toilet.

We use all the amenities, although for cooking I mostly use the outside stove & electric skillet and we regularly use the microwave to re-heat things like left overs but we have used the inside stove and even the oven to bake cookies on occasion.

We also don't live in bear country and 99% of the time camp at state parks with either electric & water or full hook ups.

The single sink in our two previous pups were really too small to be useful for much more than washing your hands so we did our dishes outside in a tub, and we used an Auqatainer for our gray water. We also had to do the 3 am jaunts to the campground bathhouse either for the kids or for the wife at first until we got a nice Thetford porti potti (Model 365). The previous two pups did not have an inside shower.

LOL, nevermind what I replied, Loraura's post reflected pretty much EXACTLY why and how we use our amenities.
    She posted that while I was still typing my reply.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We are like TX_F2. We have a Niagara so the double sink is just fine for doing dishes and the water heater makes it even easier.

In our previous pup we had a single sink with cold water. Then we either heated water, washed in a dishpan and rinsed in the sink; used two dishpans outside [getting hot water from the bath house or heating it]; or we would take the dishpans full of dirty dishes to the bath house, and bring them back clean. It depended on the parks regulations, facilities, weather, etc.

We rarely have full hookups, so we rarely take showers. We limit our use of the toilet to nights or severe weather only, if we don't have sewer hookup.

We bake muffins in the oven, and heat water on the stovetop inside. Virtually all of the other cooking is done with the outside stove. With our old pup we brought the coleman and used it and or moved the stove outdoors. The outdoor stove is so effective we don't bother with the Niagara.

It is

4. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Hello Folks,
    We recently purchased a NTU 2010 Coleman Niagara. I plan on using all of it!
    I've pupped for many years in a Rockwood XL without a battery but mostly with shore power. Can't wait to try out the Niagara ammenities.
    - Although mainly for #1, we used the inside casette toilet often. I can't see being without an inside toilet. Not sure how the black tank feature on the Niagara will pan out yet.
    - Next to the inside toilet, I think having Hot Water is the cats meow:). That being said........
    - Inside Shower rarely, I'm ok with using most CG bathhouses. But the way I perspire, I have to have one available. I'm looking forward to giving the Niagara inside shower a few test runs!
    - The Outside Shower was also a MUST (for me). CANNOT be without this feature for many useful reasons, from rinsing your hands or doing dishes, to cooling off on a hot day in your swim trunks. Saves from having to go inside for so many things requiring water.
    - Inside stove saw minimal use. Prefer the space and mess outside. However, I have no problem cooking inside except for the obviously spattering, greasy kind of meals. And I plan on using the oven every morning for some kind of sweet treat while having coffee in the morning. Even if its just to make my neighbors envious!!!
    Watching it snow right now in Balto. Will have to visit the Niagara in storage and clear the snow off. Waiting for Spring to come is killing me!!

Ken

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When I had my canvas PUP all cooking, eating and cleaning was done outside. Food and cooking supplies were stored in the TV. I usually camp in bear country so that was necessary. The sink was useful for washing hands and face, getting drinking water, etc. The only thing the indoor stove was used for was heating water for coffee. There was no toilet or shower. I made my own "Luggable Loo with a Home Dept bucket, a cheap toilet seat, trash bags and kitty litter. This and the outdoor shower were used when no facilities were available. (I like to boondock, i.e., camp outside of formal CGs.)

Now that I have the TrailManor (a hard-side popup) I still generally cook and eat outside but do prepare simple stuff inside when the weather is bad. I have a toilet and shower that I use when boondocking. I also use the toilet at night in CGs so I don't have to go out.

6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Our popup never came with a hot water heater, just a holding tank, which we never fill or use.
    All last season we did use our tiny sink, which I didn't think was all that bad, however I am going to start this season off by washing dishes outside. We have both an electric kettle and a campstove to heat water, so I find both useful.
    Ours camper also never came with a toilet or a shower. We have always used the cg showers and washrooms. Last season I brought a bucket and kitty litter with us so middle of the night emergencies and torrential downpours. It came in handy quite a bit so this year we are investing in a porta potty. The kids generally sleep through without going pee, but I don't!!
    Still watching for sales...!

Melissa

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Portapotty - Yes (always at night, usually liquids only)
    Sink - Yes
    Stove - Only heating water
    Shower - n/a

Its why we stopped tent camping in the front country. If I was going to use the campground bathrooms and dish cleaning stations, I'd leave the pup at home and continue tent camping.

8. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

We bought the pup that we had, because, it had a cassette toilet and shower and yes we used them both. The shower was great to rinse the bug spray off the kids before bed time when they were little. As they grew, we found the campground facilities to be easier than using the camper for 4 people to shower as well as for the privacy that each of us wanted. When I did my annual solo trips I would use the shower in the camper because I liked knowing how clean it was and I didn't have to worry too much, while solo, about water usage or grey water disposal for just one person.
    Our pup also had a stove that could be used inside or outside and 99.9% of the time it was outside. As others stated we didn't want the cooking odors on bedding, tenting & or clothing. On occasion we would use it inside for some side dishes but all main menu items were cooked outside on a grille or over the fire.
    We now have an HTT which has the larger fresh, grey, and black water capacities. The bathroom gets used, the shower gets used, the oven, stove, and microwave get used. I still cook most of the main dishes outside while DW does the sides inside, it just seams to work better that way. We bought both of the campers, we've had, for the amenities that they offered and we use them and we enjoy the fact that they are there. We like to refer to it as "roughing it smoothly"

9. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

We mainly cook outside but we use the oven and the microwave as needed. We use the sink sometimes and the toilet at nights. However, we have yet to use the shower.

10. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

[2C]
    - With three little kids we use the cassette toilet all the time, before that it was a porta-potty ... all the time.
    - We use the shower all the time. CG bathrooms are either crowded or a mess, most of the time. My DW loves not waiting on the other ladies.
    - We use the microwave all the time.
    - We use the sink and hot water all the time.
    - We have never used the oven and the stove top only a couple of times, I usually use the outside grill (RVQ).
    - We love having a refrigerator and use it on gas and shore power.

We always go to campgrounds with water and electric, I have never put water in the holding tank. You should consider what your personal family needs are and go from there. [:D]

11. bfahs

bfahs Member

NO

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When we had the pup, We only cooked inside once and it was something like KD or soup.. Aside from that one time due to weather, we always cooked outside, sometimes we used the outdoor stove (that came with the pup) but mostly we used Either one of the two propane Coleman stoves or prior to getting them the Naptha Coleman stove or the BBQ... Our pup while it had a 12ft box, had no toilet or shower (had an outside shower that I used to fill the coffee pot, kettle or dogs water dishes from but that was it. Our pup was bought used, and the previous owners had left the porta-potti in the trailer, we only used it about 7 times all on the same trip.

With the TT we still do most of the cooking outside on the stoves, but for special meals like Thanks Giving, Birthdays or anytime we want to bake something We cook inside using the stovetop and oven.. The nicest thing with the TT is having the toilet.. no more midnight walks to the washrooms.. So far DW and I are the only ones who have used the shower, it works ok, but does take some getting use to in the way you shower, but I don't mind using it..

One thing we bought back when we had the pup was a pair of Crocs for everyone to wear in the campground showers....

13. CDawg

CDawg Southeastern PA

We basically use our pop-up as a "tent on wheels." We rarely camp with hook-ups. The DW occasionally uses the sink for washing dishes (with water heated on the outside stove), but that's about it. She even uses the built-in fridge for storage.

We don't have a potty in the camper. DW doesn't want me doing my thing in the camper. [:(O]

14. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Hot Water
    Quite a few people commenting on not using their hot water heaters. Those things are worthless, so I don't blame them. I almost never have access to hot water and, when I do, I have almost no need to heat it. So, hot water heaters are junk. I don't have a hot water heater and wouldn't use one if I had one. [8D]

I do have a water heater, though. It can be quite nice and it was a must-have for us. With that said, we didn't use it nearly as much this past year. I only ended up filling my water tank a couple of times. So, I'm on the fence now. I would still have a hard time getting a pup without a water heater, but I do use it far less than I expected.

Water heaters almost always come with an outdoor shower ... even if there's an inside shower, too. We generally only camp 2-3 nights at a time. If you camped for longer periods, I could see where hot water would be more handy and setting up a shower-house to use the outside shower would be very, very nice (see the water subforum to see people's photos of this).

Toilet
    Ours has a CP. An absolute complete waste of space for us. Some love theirs, but I'd much rather have a cabinet. We've used it once, just to see if it worked. The other 40 nights we've camped, it's been dormant. I don't even prep it.

PUP Kitchen
    I use the inside stove occasionally to heat water (coffee) and to heat up chili, etc. when it's raining outside. I don't cook anything really smelly or greasy (bacon, tacos). It's a "last resort" item and I can count on one hand the number of times we've used it.

I occasionally use the inside sink to brush teeth. We never do dishes inside ... sink is too small and it's too easy to make a mess. So much easier with a couple of tubs outside.

The fridge usually houses any wine bottles, eggs (so they don't get damaged from the constant open/close of our coolers), and random other things ... some of which doesn't really need refrigeration, the fridge just becomes a little cabinet.

Good luck.

15. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I hear all the reasons to NOT cook inside, but if you buy a used PUP, how do you know if the previous owner didn't cook inside? Bears don't care!

With that said, we have lots of amenities in our PUP, so we use them. If we didn't want a water heater, a refrigerator/freezer, microwave, stove & oven, we would have saved a lot of money and bought one with out those.

We do cook outside a lot, but that's because we like cooking over the fire, not because we are worried about the smells in the pup.

We have an outside shower that we have used to hose off the kids when needed, and we have a port-a-potty that we bring along for the late night "Rush", but mostly we shower & use the bathroom at the CG.

16. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

To clarify, my behaviors don't reflect a desire to be safe. I avoid cooking aromatic foods in the PUP because I don't want all my stuff to smell like bacon, e.g. Has nothing to do with bears, for me. I'm worried about my own nose, not Mr. Bear's.

I'm not camping without bacon, e.g., and, as soon as I cook it, I've got a shirt in the PUP that smells like bacon. So, a bear can smell it. I choose not to cook in the PUP because I want to limit to one shirt that smells like bacon, not everything else, too. [:D]

I also don't want grease on the plastic windows and around the cooking surface. It's just messy for me; it's too cramped for me to cook without being messy in there.

As for amenities you don't use, that's why I always recommend new shoppers to note things they must have and things that are simply nice to have. For me, not having a CP was a nice to have ... I preferred not to have it, but I wouldn't walk away from a good deal because it was there. And, that's what happened.

To your point, I wouldn't pay a dime for a feature I didn't want ... and I didn't. But, it's still there, I still hate it, and I'm very happy with my PUP (and my decision to buy it). Not sure if all of that is internally consistent ... [:D]

17. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Our older Jayco doesn't have a shower/potty option but we don't use the sink or the stove/oven/fridge. I plan to take them out, use the space from the fridge for trash or storage and install a wooden cutting board over all the counter area there for prep. We like to use dutch ovens, fires, etc. and always cook outside. Water? We bring it. Bathroom, depends on where we are camping but we don't have a porta potty (or whatever they are called). We just hike it. Also there is the go girl for the women [;)]

18. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Years ago in our first PUP [PU] we never cooked in it, always outside. We always went to bath house to bath, but sometimes a quick sponge bath in the PUP was required and it was COLD water only. After the Boy's (DS's) came along we invested in a porta potty for them. but after a few emergency uses by me and the DW it became the norm to have one and have missed it if we did not have it.
    Then we got a TT [HYC] and got real spoiled with the full bath and being able to shower in your own privacy and know that it was clean. Still cooked outside except for coffee or toast in the AM.
    After going back to a PUP [PU] in later life, one of the #1 requirements was a Shower and potty inside! :) Our Coleman Westlake had both and we used them as needed!
    Now with the TT we have it all, but still cook outside. [CP]

That's just us, everyone is different and there are Campers to fit everone's needs and desires. Ain't it GREAT?!!?

[2C]

19. froggie

froggie New Member

Everything outside. Porta potty at night if it's really cold or raining.

20. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We will cook inside when it is pouring outside, not raining, but pouring. We always use the shower and the toilet, that why we paid extra for them. Hot water heater and furnace are used as well.