Do you guys actually cook / bathe / use the restroom in your pop up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lugoismad, Jan 21, 2014.

1. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We went so far as to remove the stove completely. We have a microwave. The extent of our cooking includes coffee and cocktails.

Showering is done in our outdoor unit or at the CG's facility.

We have no potty

2. Indy

Indy Member

We bought a pup without inside shower/potty because we know we won't use it. It has the outdoor shower, which is good enough for a quick rinse if needed. We normally use the campground showers and never boondock. If we camp without hookups, we sponge bathe and use baby wipes a lot. We have no kids under 18 and can easily make it to the bathrooms without any potty emergencies, so it works for us.

We hooked up the inside sink once or twice when we first got it. I'm deathly afraid of a water leak damaging the interior, and I don't find it all that useful (tiny sink!). Now we don't even hook up the water 99% of the time. When we go to a national park or national forest without hookups, we will use the tank - it is very rare but I expect to use it at Great Smoky Mts in March.

We cook inside on occasion if the weather is bad. We much prefer to cook on the grill outside or over the fire, or even on our Coleman stove on a picnic table. If it is freezing cold or storming out, we will cook something simple inside - eggs and pancakes or boil some hot dogs. It's a last resort. I also boil water for washing dishes inside if we don't have a fire going.

3. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

We cook outside! We're camping!! Really prefer the campfire, but have used the electric skillet to complete a meal! Dutch ovens, pie irons, and foil pkgs. will create a lot of meals! Dish washing is for outside, under the awning in our newest NTU PUP or in the Fast-Up with walls on. Even in the pouring rain we survived- unlike in a tent when we had to go to town for a motel room at the WI Dells and a feverish child!

4. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

The previous owner of my Viking had removed the stove, and sink and fresh water holding tank. I had thought of replacing it all, but after camping a few times I realized that I would probably never use it; not to mention the space it takes up.

My camper was not designed with a toilet or hot water.

So, no I do not have that equipment and really do not think I would use it if I had it.

Happy Camping

5. shfd739

shfd739 Member

So far all of our cooking is outside on a Coleman stove, grill or the high pressure stove under the awning so it stays dry.

Inside has been used for heating water for coffee only.

The shower hasn't been used yet but the potti is used every trip. Real convenient first thing in the morning, middle of the night or when I'm lazy and drunk and don't feel like walking to the bathhouse.

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We primarly cook with the cookstove outside. There have been a couple of times when we cooked breakfast inside due to rainy weather. We do have a microwave, and reheat stuff, or make a bag of mw popcorn in it.

We don't hook up to h20, and don't use the sink - we have a Coleman Kamp Kitchen. We've never filled the water tank.

We have a porta-potty made of a 5 gal bucket, sitting in another 5 gal bucket (for additional height), luggable loo top, 13 gal trash bag & kitty liter. We most always camp a private campgrounds, and shower there.

7. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

pee in the bucket, wife sits on toilet seat , kitty litter with two bags; only when sleep time, cooking inside in bad weather only, but not big outside meals, shower in two man tent, just love it!!! have taken a bath with a bucket and wash cloth if too tired to take a shower or late getting back.... you'll love it .... don't stink your spouse will go camping more often this way..... daave

8. ricko

ricko Member

We cook in ours and use every appliance (okay - microwave isn't technically cooking) - we like to take our time and fix great food when camping.

Bathe - Not yet - I'm a pretty big guy - my shoulders just about touch both sides of the space at once.

Restroom - #1 okay, #2 in emergencies only - It's really nice not having to walk 1/2 mile for the midnight pee

We also start the water heater as part of setup and use the furnace when it's cold.

About the only thing we don't use is the radio.

Ricko

9. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Meals are an important part of our camping trips. My wife cooks and prepares food inside while I do the same outside. We do save the greasy stuff like bacon for the outdoor stove. Indoor sink is to small, so we wash dishes outside. We don't have a commode or shower so we stay near bathouses.

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

We hook up the stove on the outside of the trailer....never cook inside. It's under the awning so rain is not a problem. We also have a Weber Baby Q which I love...it actually bbq's better than my normal sized bbq at home. AS far as water is concerned, we bring it in water jugs and use the park water for cooking and washing dishes etc...just heat it up on the stove. We camp in Provincial Parks so we use the washrooms and showers there.....(or use the bushes to pee in at night [:D]) Basically, we used to tent camp, so a popup is the next step for us. We use it mainly for sleeping, changing clothes etc but generally live outside when camping......that's why we go there in the first place.

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I'm actually kind of surprised how often I hear people use a microwave when discussing popups. It's never crossed our minds that we need one when camping. We feel that part of the lure of camping is slowing down our lifestyle, so if it takes a little longer to cook, then that's a good excuse for another beverage! [:D]

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

When we had our pup, none of the above, we cooked and washed up outside and even with our new TT we still cook and wash outside, just so we don't build up the condensation and have cooking odours inside. We do use the facilities on board sparingly and usually restrict it for night time use of if it is busy at the campground facilities.

13. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

DW would kill me if I #2'd in the trailer. I'm restricted to one bathroom for that at the house as it is. [LOL]

14. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

No.
    No.
    No, but have bought a porta pottie that we have not used yet.)o

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't really cook in the microwave at home (though I'd hate to do without it for a host of other tasks), and we recently debated getting one for occasional use in the pup. We cook simple meals when we're camping, even when we are camped in one place for up to a week or so. We most often dry camp, so using electric appliances isn't an option. We have experimented when we've had power hook-ups, with an electric skillet and a toaster oven. The oven was pretty useful, so we bought a smaller one recently, just for the pup. I looked at small microwaves, but for space and weight the toaster oven won out. I've seen set-ups with electric appliances outside the camper, but we'll most likely use it inside.
    My long trip east next fall (in the planning stages) is one reason we bought the oven, since I will be using the pup as a hotel on wheels. Though I much prefer cooking outside, on that trip I'll be using the inside stove, I'm not apt to haul the Coleman stove out of the Thule roof top box for an overnight stop. I'm hoping the oven will expand my food choices, since the trip is too long to depend on taking soups and stews from home. (It is likely to be three weeks or so, including a week in the middle at my MIL's in OH.)
    The PETT toilet is definitely going to be used, especially at my MIL's, so I don't need to ramble into the house a couple of times each night.

16. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

We picked up a small microwave and use it to make noodle packets, warming up veggies, popcorn and defrosting stuff and love less than 40 bucks. We do all our cooking in the screened in room and wash dishes in small plastic sink and use silverware all the time and only cook over the camp fire with our tripod grill.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I don't have bath facilities, but I fill the fresh water tank every trip, wash my hands and dishes in the sink, and will cook inside if using a crock pot or the weather is poor. I PREFER to cook outside, since I have more room, but if I have to I cook inside. I also use the fridge to keep food cool and the furnace to heat the PUP. Essentially, I use every item on my PUP. About the only thing I've never used is the porch light, since during camping season here, the sun sets around 11pm.

18. IPAman

IPAman New Member

We cook extra for the couple of weeks before a trip and freeze off the extra. Nothing like not needing to cook on vacation.

19. dcfan99

dcfan99 New Member

I'm really surprised by all these Nos.

We almost always camp in the National parks, which have NO shower facilities and NO hookups. I almost always do all of my cooking outside, but will use my propane oven to heat stuff up and will use the inside stove if the weather is terrible. (even in big time bear country, where I camp all the time). I am not sure I've ever used the microwave though...

I bought my PUP because it DOES have a shower, after a week in the mountains with no shower facilities you are ripe, so this was a key item for me. I use my water heater, my sink to wash dishes and clean up, every day. I use my potty at night. (I have a black water tank - would really prefer a cassette, hate the dump station routine).

I think for people who boondock or camp in campgrounds without hookups, hot water or shower facilities - I am surprised that those folks would not want or use some of these amenities if available.

Cheers.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We do mostly camp in public campgrounds - national and state parks, national forests - and most is dry camping. Some of the parks have showers available, other times we find them nearby. For us, after more than two decades of ground camping, we can handle basin and baby wipe washing, especially if we can wash or rinse hair, for quite a while. [At home, we definitely like our showers, but I grew up in a time and place were daily baths were not routine, and most houses only had a tub. My grandmother's house did not get hot water until the 1970s. Our cabin did not have running water, so I was used to hauling water, heating it on a stove and using an outhouse.] Neither of us is small, and I'm claustrophobic; I haven't seen a shower in a camper that wouldn't send me screaming in anything smaller than a huge RV.
    In the future, if/when we need to move to a TT, we may opt for some sort of built in toilet, but for now, the PETT works just fine (we have a shower/potty tent for when we wish to use it).
    Both our pups have been small, and the sinks were so tiny they were pretty much useless, two basins work much better, and give us the option of washing inside or outside. The counter space gained by removing the sink is very useful. However, the usefulness of having an inside stove merits leaving it in place, for us.