Do You Have A Camping Budget?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Hanvee3, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

Budget, whats that!! [:D]

2. westpadogs

westpadogs New Member

We are self employed, so we put a set amount of money in a account everyday for camping all year and that is what we use for our camping. Plus we always pay for our sites when we book them. Going out in 2 weekends for our 1st trip out this year can't wait!

3. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We try and stay on a budget...we pay for reservations at the time we book. We always seem to bring more food then we actually needed last year so trying to do a better job this season. DW plans out the meals...if we can just quit finding the closest Wal-mart after arriving we would do lot better!! [LOL]

4. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

No real budget---we do reserve sites all winter long so that part is paid for. In the summer, we go every other weekend and consider this our "main" entertainment so we try to be more conservative with spending on the non-camping weekends. I did some calculations for last year and including camping site fees, boat payment, camper payment, and gas for boat I just about choked when I saw that total on the calculator :) But we love it and since we got our boat and camper and use them heavily we haven't been taking the big beach or cruise vacations like we used to so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

5. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

No real budget we go when we can and if we can't we'll go a couple weeks after that. We usually plan one further trip (but still only about 4 hours from home) every summer but its the only Vacations we get all year, so we don't worry about it to much. We also don't go on big hotel, cruise, beach vacations. So thats how I justify it.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We don't have a camping budget, but we know we spend far less by camping than we would staying in hotels, if they were even available, and eating every meal out. Gas is probably the biggest extra expense for a trip, since the closest we camp is at least 2 hours away, usually 5-8.

As others have said, you have to eat whether at home or away. We take most of our food supplies, for weekends we have all the food we'll use. On longer trips, we have a lot of staples and supplies for meals, then mix and match as we like, with the occasional supply run or meal out.

We book most of our campsites in advance, so that is not out of pocket on the trip. It makes it easier than in the days when we didn't reserve; we had to make sure we had cash, often exact amounts, and have a checkbook along for places that took that. [We never stayed in a private campground until a couple of years ago, and even now, over 90% of the time we're in public campgrounds.]

We buy a National Parks Pass every year, so that not only saves $$, but makes it easier to go into parks and monuments.

A few years ago, we had a tent literally shred apart with a week left in a vacation. We bought a new, inexpensive tent to finish out the trip, figuring it was less than 1 or 2 nights in a hotel would have cost, which would have been our only option other than ending the trip.

7. FC

FC Central Florida

I did a post about this awhile back but it was about saving for camping not budget. We put all our change and loose bills in a jar all year. We reserve our sites in advance so we can plan our trips for work and all. Then we roll up the dough and put it in a pre paid card from the bank and use it for gas,food and what ever else we need. It has worked well as most years we get around $500.00 in the jar and that goes along way when you have the sites paid in advance. This year we have passport america and we will see how much that saves us. We both just got new jobs so we might not be able to go as much this year as in the past but we are sure going to try. Cant complain a whole lot as I am glad we have jobs. Well thats my story and Im sticking to it lol. [:D]