Do you have a specific campsite at a specific campground that is your favorite?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by epcotisbest, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Your post is very timely and you are a big help. We are going to Fort Pickens (spent Easter there and absolutely loved it) this summer and can't get the first night so I spent a lot of time last night looking for a campground for the first night. Your Gunter Hill could be a good stop. I've looked and it's available. We also like Guntersville further north in AL but it's pretty far off the route and requires two night reservations on a weekend.

epcotisbest likes this.
  2. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

Gunter Hill is a nice spot, clean and the spaces are nicely spread out. There are two loops, Catoma and Antioch. We prefer Catoma, but either will work for one night. It is easy to get to and close to the 85-65 junction. Dreamland BBQ in Montgomery is good stuff if you like BBQ. Have a nice trip to Ft. Pickens, but warning, it is hot, hot, hot in the summertime. I recommend Flounders at Pensacola Beach if you like seafood. Also, back across the bay bridge and a little out of the way but worth the drive is a small seafood place called Marina Oyster Barn, a little seafood dive known well to locals. Can you tell that besides camping we like eating while camping as well?

3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

58769332_1347435232077071_3787489838798733312_n.jpg Claytor Lake State Park in VA...

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Not just the North Georgia High Country... All of those southern states that have the high country to the north are outstanding camp sites...

Makes me hum 'Georgia on my mind' haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

kcsa75 and epcotisbest like this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Lake Altoona in Acworth is worth it. Army Corps of Engineering has many campgrounds in that lake.

Nani2 likes this.
  6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I love Stone Mountain State Park. Park near the lake and the "Rock"

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We love McKinney and if we can't get a spot on the water there we go to McKaskey. Going this weekend actually.

8. Jason Diggn Va

Jason Diggn Va New Member

We've enjoyed our GW national parks here in Va. No thrills, just beautiful forrest and trout streams behind camp, Elizabeth or Catherine's furnace areas. We also enjoy The Cove near Winchester Va.

9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

The thing I love about this country is, we can drive in pretty much any direction, & find a camping spot within an hour or so, but there is one spot at Spring Creek Campground in the Payette Nat'l forest that the wife really likes. It's a little tough to back into, as it's a steep uphill backing into that particular site, but nicely level once we're backed in. All the campsites are surrounded by trees, & the sites are reasonably far apart. No hookups, but that's not an issue for us...we're tent campers from way back, & we have onboard water storage, 2 g24 batteries on the hitch, with 200 watts of solar panels on the roof, & a 2200 watt inverter generator if really necessary. Personally, I prefer to be further away from people, but the wife really likes this site, so we reserve it several times a year.