Do you have cell phone service where you camp?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by dion, Jun 29, 2012.

Do you normally have cell phone service where you camp?

1. I always camp within range of cell towers

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. I prefer having service, and usually have it, but not always

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. I prefer having service, but it's usually not available at my favorite campsites

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I prefer getting away from cell service, but only rarely escape it at the campsite

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. I prefer getting away from cell service, and usually camp without it

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  6. I never camp within range of a cell tower. Tweeting is for the birds

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. I don't own a cell phone

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've read that outside the U.S., many areas never had very good hard lines prior to the advent of cell phones and internet access. For those areas, it's been better to invest in tower based telephony to build their networks, with one result being near ubiquitous cell coverage.

Too bad for them, or anyone else that has an employer that actually expects or demands 24 hour contact with employees on vacation. When I'm working (as in getting paid), I'm always available in an instant. When I'm not, voice mail is at the ready. For those of you that feel you have to have cell access for work, you may want to reconsider if your employer's expectations are realistic, and if you're being compensated properly for maintaining that connection while on vacation. If you aren't provided with a work phone, or aren't being paid for your on-call status while on vacation, that may be worth bringing up the next time you take a trip, or discuss your pay with management.

I once had someone get very upset with me for letting them know I'd miss an upcoming meeting because I'd be on vacation. After snarling at me in disbelief that I wouldn't even have cell access, I told her to pull up a coverage map of Yellowstone NP and see what carriers had towers around Sportsman Lake. I gave her the option of providing me with a sat phone, or rescheduling her truly unimportant meeting. She ended up making a big stink about it that made her look like an idiot, and I smiled a little wider as I ate breakfast on a ranger cabin's porch during her meeting.

If you think your employer can't live without access to you, see if that's true. If it is, they should compensate you. If not, leave cell towers behind and see what you've been missing!

2. marcham

marcham New Member

Re: Re: Do you have cell phone service where you camp?

We prefer to go where there is no coverage and we carry a PLB should something go very wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

3. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

This was a hard one to answer. DH has is t-mobile phone and I have a a prepaid net-zero. Since I work nights & sleep during the day, only my husband, my brother and the hospital nursing supervisor (work) have my number. My brother watches our dog when we camp, and keeps an eye on the house because he lives across the street, so he has that number in case of emergency. I may call my brother once just to see if everything is ok. In the past, my husband has made business calls when camping or on vacation - a very type A personality, 3 years ago, he had open heart surgery, a number of complications thereafter (was told it was a miracle that he survived, and a 2+ year rehab. Needless to say, he enjoys leisure more, and doesn't make work calls.

On my phone, I more often than not cannot get a signal out of the Metro area. His phone always gets a signal.

Having my phone came in handy on our last camping trip. I used GPS to find a church of our denomination, and called to find out service times.

4. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Well, unfortunately, I'd be missing my mortgage payments. In this economy, even with a high level of skill and education, there are at least three people I know of (long-term unemployed in my field) who would be happy to have my job, along with emergency cellphone calls on vacations. :eek:(

Pam

5. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Sounds like you don't have a choice. Sorry about that, and I hope that changes for you. Being on vacation should allow a person to truly leave work behind, if only for a few days.

The point of my post is that it's easy to think you have to be available by phone while on vacation, when in fact, you may be imposing that restriction on yourself. It's easy to fall into that trap, and not many employers will correct your assumption.

Like marcham, I keep a tiny PLB with me for real emergencies. With few exceptions, anything else can wait until I cross paths with a cell tower or wifi.

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Korea does have excellent coverage. We had a dead spot INSIDE our school, and they came in and installed a reciever at no cost. It's a cell-phone world over here...

7. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Excellent coverage, except for the dead spot up north.
    Here's hoping that clears up soon. [;)]

8. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Why do they even offer vacation? Really....is this where we're at here in the good old U.S.A. "Sorry.... no vacation for you!" "We call, you answer!" "We call, you drop what you're doing regardless!" It gets to that point for me and I'll cover the mortgage when I sell my house and become and ex-pat. Lots more opportunity elsewhere anyway. Can't believe people just let themselves get "rail roaded." You know where that term comes from right?

9. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

LOL...and I'm an exec and CFO. For me, it can certainly be difficult to get time off, especially certain times of year and for long stretches....actually, certain times of year it's just impossible. But when I'm off, I'm off, they can certainly live without me for a few days and I'm sure my staff counts their blessings when I'm gone.

I would never even consider calling one of my employees when they were on vacation, nor would I/do I have any expectations of getting in touch with them when they're out unless we've made some prior arrangement due to time of year or something. I do request that they take their time off when we're not at the end of the fiscal year and keep days off to a minimum when we're doing month end closes, but even if they choose to do so, I have no legal recourse to fire them or otherwise harass them for taking time off when they have vacation time available. Never mind the fact that HR would be so far up in my business it wouldn't even be remotely funny.

11. BigBaron

I don't think that dead spot up north is going to be fixed anytime soon... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

[​IMG]

12. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

People said that about East Germany for a very long time. It'll happen.

When it does, it'll surprise everyone, most of all, the Bad Haircut Club.

13. BigBaron

If you knew the condition and details of N. Korea, especially its citizens, you wouldn't compare it to E. Germany. The E. Germans wanted to reunify, the North just wants to take over.
    A little known secret outside of the military is that American officers were welcome inside E. Germany before the wall came down. My friend used to go to E. Germany to "live it up" almost every weekend while he was stationed in W. Germany.
    The brainwashing of the North's citizens is so complete that it's scary. Even the defectors who successfully make it to the South find it hard to acclimate. Very few ever successfully integrate into S. Korean society. [:(]
    Also, the U.S. military estimates that the 'cost' if reunification occurred would be in excess of $15 billion dollars. [:O] The South doesn't have that kind of money.
    Nest time I go up the coast, I'll take some pics of N. Korea. You can see it at certain points, and the easiest way to tell if you are looking at the North is that the landscape is completely barren. No trees, bushes, or vegetation. Nothing.
    But there is a 'facade' city that was built so that it could be seen from the south, similar to the facades (that my Grandfather saw and took pictures of) that were built along the rail lines in E. Germany.
    It's sort of scary living so close, but Seoul will be their first target if they ever....

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We sometimes have service where we go, often not. Here in the east, it's often not that we're far from towers, but that we are in vertiginous terrain and the mountain ridges block signals.

Oddly enough, on our three-week trip through the deserts last year, we often found ourselves with decent service. Some places that seemed so very remote would have good enough service to access the internet. Passing through small towns, you'd often be able to grab a signal for a while. And in some truly remote places like the deserts south of Moab, there'd be 3G service. Maybe signals travel further in dry air.

We're hardly interested in chatting on the phone while on a trip, but having an occasional phone signal while traveling can be very useful. We almost never make reservations, but we will sometimes call ahead and see if there is space available in a park (answer is almost always yes). Or we will look up campground reviews to determine where we might want to stay. If we need some supplies, we can look up the location of the nearest Target or hardware store. We check weather and radar fairly often. And every now and then, we'll read major news to each other while in transit (the passenger reading to the driver, of course).