Do you have license plates on your camper?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Buttermilk, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I was just informed that in CA (state side) if it has a toilet it gets a anal license and if not it gets the PTI which is a 5 yr. lic. THe difference is the cost they TAX on.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Florida requires a plate on all vehicles and trailers.. Regardless of weight, the plate goes by weight. A P/U over 5000 lbs is registered as commercial. I found this out when my 04 Ford P/U V 6 was sold and we got a 04 Ford P/U with a V8, it is heavier and most plates in Fl. expire on the birthday of the owner, but the heavier truck expired in Dec. and my Bday is Nov.

3. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

Kansas allows all trailers under gvw 2000lbs to be without tag. Many trailer owners will opt to put an optional tag that says it's under 2000 so they don't have to ask questions. Of course, that doesn't take into account how heavy they actually fill them... But actually NO tag is required if under the 2000lbs.

4. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

yes and $62 a year for registration + inspection

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

No comment.

6. campbranchcamper

campbranchcamper New Member

Well Ya'll here in Alabama you don't have to have a tag on any trailer unless you travel out of State. Which does not include any type of Semi trailer or lowboy equipment type trailer ....Tax revenue pays those bills. [LOL] But I've seen Logging trailers with nothing but logs on 'em..? [?:~{]

7. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Kind of makes sense.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

In MA if it has wheels and it is on the road it needs a plate & lites. I was once ticketed for towing a woodspliter with out a plate. This was one of the reasons I escaped to NH.

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

. I could understand a camper, uliility , or flat bed trailor. But a log splitter is insane. I rented one a few times from home depot, never had a problem as long as it didnt interfere with visual sight of my tv tail lights and/plates.

10. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When I searched the Georgia laws for registering a trailer I found the same info. Of course, I was planning on building a camper then rather than buying a commercial built travel trailer. Then I bought my little, used Aliner. I didn't bother to register it initially since it was just being used in state. When I did finally go to get a tag it didn't go as smoothly as hoped.

Since I was registering a camper, a travel trailer, even though it was a pop-up, they said I needed the title, signed over from prior owner, to register it. However, the camper had never been titled in Georgia. All I had was the certificate of origin. "Can't I get the title using that?" The response was, "No," because even though it had never been titled, it had been previously registered in Georgia & issued a tag. It was registered as a utility trailer. So there stood three different people in the tag office trying to figure out what to do now. They politely explained that by definition I had a travel trailer, not a utility trailer. When the camper was originally registered it should have been titled as such. Now they couldn't do anything from their end. "You need to go back to the dealer as they should have taken care of this for you." Oi! I left, called dealer from the tag office parking lot, and received the following comment. "Well, they are right & wrong. It's not a utility trailer but it doesn't need a title because it doesn't have a bathroom."

So I go back into the tag office & explain what the dealer just said, adding. "Please help me. We're leaving for California in a few days & I'm worried I'll be stopped in other states." So tag office supervisor says she'll call the state to clarify. She was put on hold by the state & we all waited for over 50 minutes, long enough for the clerks helping me to go on lunch break and return. Finally the answer comes back. My Aliner is exempt from needing a title. It's not plumped for a bathroom & it doesn't weigh 2000 lbs.

Sometimes it pays to be patient & persistent. It's also shocking, and a oddly satisfying, that the state leaves our county clerks on hold just as long as they do the average citizen.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Florida requires them for all vehicles /trailers etc. on the road except for a car hauler, but the vehicles being hauled must have a valid tag.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It was tough to get a license plate in California because I did not have a title in Alabama... It took me 2 weeks to finally work out the bugs and I got the license plate. All I needed was a letter from Alabama DMV saying that I never had a title for my popup... I got the mail in a week... and the plate a few days later. Transferring to another state is tough if you have a popup in my opinion.

13. Pimpy

Pimpy New Member

All trailers in SC now require plates. Once plated you have to pay property tax each year. Mine is about $12 a year for my PU 1994 Coleman Destiny. The plates were $10 and it cost $10 ever two year to get new stick for renewal. Other trailers can be more. See image for 2018. http://www.scdmvonline.com/-/media/Forms/RG-010A.ashx

14. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Up here in Ontario all trailer must have plates, but it's a one shot deal.....no yearly renewal. Not sure about the rest of the provinces though.

myride likes this.
  15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mine has permanent VIRGINIA plates on it but we are required to get it inspected every year and have a current sticker on the tongue for that...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Pimpy

Pimpy New Member

Do they slap the sticker on right in the middle like they used to do with your car inspection stickers? That sticker in the center of the windshield would drive me crazy.

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This was for my POPUP trailer and has nothing to do with my Truck Tow vehicle. They use the left tongue just before the trailer box...

Like the JAN 2010 sticker shown on this RV Trailer photo...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Our Virginia State Inspection and County Dump stickers goes on the bottom of our windshield of our licensed Road vehicles starting in the middle

When I was in the Military the BASE PASS was always in the UPPER CENTER of the Windshield of the vehicles but now those are on the left side front Bumper these days...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Same across the country I believe....same here in Alberta...has to have a plate but...one time purchase, no renewal....oh...and no inspection that I have ever been asked to provide. Might be different if trailer has never been plated or out of province....not sure.

19. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

In Quebec we got a pay one time permanent plate. The nice thing is that there are no additional yearly taxes like when we lived in Virginia where the county or city hits you each year and the state makes you get an inspection if your trailer has brakes. Back when we lived in Virginia the permanent plate was a nice feature and we even had it personalized for a one time fee of $10 but the Fairfax County taxes were costly and we paid an extra Town of Vienna fee too. Thankfuly we did not have the electric brakes installed yet as it would have been even more if we had to inspect each year.

AEB2C676-9C32-4C61-A104-9487CA2DA8CD.jpeg

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Yes, Pennsylvania requires: Title, Registration and Plate for trailers