Do you have license plates on your camper?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Buttermilk, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol , you think the property taxes are high there! I'm not even going to tell you what I pay!!! You will choke.

2. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Here in Wisconsin, registration and tags are NOT required if under 3,000 pounds. Here's a question-- we are planning on spending a week in Indiana where tags and registration ARE required. Will we be legal while visiting and camping there??

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Yes. On the Pup I have a vanity plate from my beloved Kansas Jayhawks. We've traveled all over the west and never had a problem.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't know the rules for all the states but I think you will attract attention of the police if they are expecting to see plates. What happens after that I don't know. A better source to check would be Indiana DMV.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I believe plate requirements are based on your home state not where you are visiting. As long as your TV plates are for the same jurisdiction as your trailer's jurisdiction, you should be OK. If your TV plates are for a state that requires trailer registration/tags/plates, and you don't have those for your trailer, you could find yourself in a major hassle.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Here in VIRGINIA Tags are required for RV trailers. Even my small utility trailer has a tag on it... The Tags however are Permanent Tags so it was only a one time fee I guess...

ADDED NOTE: I always follow the golden rule that my trailer license is from the same state as my issued drivers license... Seems to help big time when being checked by Law Enforcement...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Rik Peery likes this.
  7. BigAl

BigAl Member

I’m guessing this will depend on the officer stopping you. I’m in WI and don’t need plates in state, but plan to go to both MI & MN this summer plus we want to head west next summer. To avoid hassles, I got a bonded title (just bill of sale when I purchased) and a plate. The title is $70 and the title bond was $100, but the annual plate is only $15 per year.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Having a title, bill of sale, etc., is always a good idea if you don't have to register. That way you have proof it belongs to you.

It always comes down to the individual officer - along with your attitude. So, if you are certain one or the other is going to get you in trouble, get a plate. But no, you are not required to do so if your state doesn't require it.

9. BigAl

BigAl Member

Agreed you shouldn’t have to register if your state doesn’t require, but I’d rather not spend time on vacation discussing that with local law enforcement. It’s not only my attitude that comes into play; the officer’s does too and that’s nothing I can control. I deal with government regulatory agencies all day at work and have no desire to on vacation.

10. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I wouldn't sweat the situation of tags on a trailer that your home state doesn't require them. Officers are well used to dealing with those kinds of issues. Your home state rules will be honored.

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Thanks everyone. I emailed the Indiana State Police, and they confirmed that, as a Wisconsin resident, I do not need to have the pup titled or registered while in Indiana, as long as we are there for less than 30 days. They told me to show that email if I am stopped, and a copy of the WI statute. They also said that they are used to this sort of thing & it's no big deal.
    Andy

Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  12. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

Fl needs tags but they are fairly cheap for trailers which is what they classify the camper as