Do you have license plates on your camper?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Buttermilk, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Had to have a title (plate) for my popup in Illinois, but not that expensive. $50 seems way to high for me!

(BTW, I have a 10 ft kayak, and had to get a boating registration for this as well in Illinois!)

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I'm not so sure on all of that, but most of it anyway...

Yes the plate was $10 for a lifetime plate, however, I don't believe we need a safety done on it (unless it is a commercial trailer). I had no safety done on mine and it is equipt with brakes (bought it used, maybe thats the difference). I bought extra insurance for mine and it was about $150 a year.

3. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

Are you freaking kidding me? Here in Ontario you only need a boater's license if your vessel has a gas powered engine in it. Kayaks and Canoes are exempt from boating laws because they don't have a motor.

4. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

I bought a pup that was originally from CA. I had changed owners several times, and the CA lifetime plates stayed on. Hope I am not
    breaking the law. Guy i bought it from said thats what you were supposed to do... but I know here in IN you need plates. On ANY trailer.

5. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Just checked it out. Here in Wisconsin we don't need a license if the camper or utility trailer is weighs less than 3000 pounds. But as I stated before, they recommend getting them in case you travel out of state.

6. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

AGREED! I took my kayak for a spin near Quinissippi island on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River the day after I got it, and got stopped by the river police. He let me off with a warning that time, but it would be a ticket that I'd have to pay if I did it again.

I applied for a license, but haven't floated my Kayak in Illinois waters since this. Besides, Mark Twain Lake, a great kayaking spot, isn't that far away, and I won't be hassled.

7. Ebisaki

Ebisaki Member

I think it is great that we pay $10 every two years here in South Carolina. You may be thinking, OMG those red necks are lucky. We also pay 10.5% of depreciated value in property taxes each year.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, we have a plate. I think it is $17 or $18 for 2 years; the registration we did last year, when we purchased the Cobalt, included title and taxes, too, so it shows the total of it all.

9. ricko

ricko Member

I've heard the Tennessee requirement interpreted differently - when I sold my old PUP the buyer proudly told me I was wasting my money as small trailers didn't have to be registered. When I registered my newer PUP the county clerks office happily took my sales tax and registration fee, but then the nice young lady remarked that people rarely renew their tags and it's not really enforced.

My take is this... if my trailer is found down some embankment in some deep dark wilderness, I would like SOMETHING on the trailer that indicates to whom it belongs and where it calls home, especially if I'm also stuck down in that embankment. So renew them every year.

Ricko

10. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

In NY, all registrations for RVs run from January 1 to December 31. I usually renew mine in April or May, so the cost is prorated and I end up paying about $11.

11. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

KY is paid annually, based on the value of the camper - very similar to the taxes & licensing of vehicles.

12. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

In MI we have to purchase permanent plates. It goes by weight.
    Trailer plates are nontransferable.

Trailers and Trailer Coaches 0-2,499 pounds $75

Trailers and Trailer Coaches 2,500-9,999 pounds $200

13. EK41

EK41 Member

Sorry for the delay in the reply, I was on vacation. I did not pay sales tax on one of my cars. Since I could prove that I used it out of state for more than 90 day, I did not owe WA sales tax. I used my CA registration for the last 7 years as proof. I finally got the PUP registered yesterday afternoon. Last possible day before tags expired. I really got jerked around by the auto licensing place, but it is done. Paid $75.74 including the title transfer, will be $41 next year. Recreational vehicles in WA, you have to pay the difference if WA sales tax is higher regardless of how long you owned it. At 8 3/4% sales tax, WA is higher than most.

14. jim-bass

jim-bass New Member

Here in Louisiana, you can get "permanent" registration for just a little more than the annual cost.

15. mhc77

mhc77 New Member

AZJim...they sure get us huh?! All these members have responded and no one else seems to have a sliding scale of fees in their state/province.
    I think ours will be around $125 this year, it's usually a bit lower than our TV tags.

At least we don't have to renew our driver's licenses until we are 65 tho huh? I got mine here when I was 30 so I'm gonna look damn good in that picture
    when i get pulled over at 64 years old! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

16. BillNH60

BillNH60 a bad day camping is just better than working

Campers, etc, are cheap to register here. All vehicles are based on original sale value, or KBB.
    Licenses are 5 yrs and mine is $110 TT, w/tank,hazmat,passenger, MC. The 92 coleman is
    like $20~.

17. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Actually, for popups or folding trailers less than 20', they aren't (Tennessee Code Annotated 55-4-111). However, most of us register ours to avoid hassles if driving out of state. You can purchase a "Trailer E" tag for about $35 annually, or buy a Semi tag one-time for $75, good for as long as you have the camper.

Technically, you can drive it anywhere, but expect to be pulled over in many other states. Supposedly you can show the Tennessee code page that shows no tag is required in-state or out-of-state to the officer and go on, but I figured that avoiding stops was worth the low tag fee.

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Here in Arkansas, a trailer is a trailer, regardless if you put horses or humans in it. Either way, it is a permanent trailer tag so I don't have to renew it. $65 for life.

19. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

Here in Missouri, we paid $22.70 for tags earlier this month that are good through Dec. 2014.

20. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

IL requires RT (Recreational Trailer) plates. The fee is graduated based on trailer weight.

Ours is only $18/year as the PUP is listed as less than 3000#. The fee goes up to a max of $50 for trailers over 10,000#!.

WL