Do you keep a telescope in the popup?

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by hiker74, Apr 24, 2015.

1. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I had a telescope as a kid (tasco short tube unit), but know there are better ones out there. I want a short tube to maybe keep in the pop up so I don't have to carry it around. Anyone have any suggestions? I was eyeing a 120ST Orion

2. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

My self I keep a Orion 80 ED in the trailer when we camp... Very light and color corrected. It's a bit more expensive than the 120 st but very pleasing views.

3. zorak

zorak Member

i myself am looking for a used Meade ETX 70 or 80.I has go-to function and is highly compact. To me it seems like the best choice, although a good pair of 7x50 binoculars can be a great alternative. Just kick back in a chair or lay flat on your back on a blanket . Once your eyes get dark adapted, a decent pair of Binos will make it seem like your looking out of the porthole on a spaceship.

4. SuperYooper

SuperYooper Member

Great, now there's another thing to pack. ;)

Usually the only time I get to take out the telescope is during the 4th...family and work get in the way otherwise. Munising, MI has a grassy airport that I sneak onto at night...great views all around.

5. zorak

zorak Member

I get the distinct feeling if I were to try to sneak into airport property, I would get caught and get the extra special "Deep" cavity search. Just lucky I live in the Boondocks and can see pretty decent starry skies whenever I want.