Do you like simple campgrounds that offer mostly nature...or bells and whistles?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by toddrn2006, May 24, 2011.

1. toddrn2006

toddrn2006 Wife, 3 Kids, Boston Terrier,2004 Fleetwood Yuma

So do you like simple campgrounds that offer nature like hiking, fly fishing, biking, hiking, oh yeah did I mention hiking.........Or do you like campgrounds that have bells and whistles like pools, water slides, mini golf, obstacle courses, go-carts, massive playgrounds.........My kids are 7 and 10 and honestly they gravitate to the very simple campgrounds, I think that is odd for kids, I like the more simple, but I'm not a kid. Although my DW would argue that point. Any comments? [:)C]

2. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

it depends. i like both. i do like having the options since we have a DD. but i wouldnt want to do a "full service" disneyworld-like CG every time we go out.

for the most part most of the CG we go to just have a simple park.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It will come as no surprise to anyone here that I prefer the simple CGs or boondocking places. I avoid the "bells and whistles" places like the plague. When my kids were little I took them to simple CGs to get them into nature so they could learn about it. We talked about the flora and fauna as we hiked. My son especially liked exploring tide pools at low tide on the coast. My thoughts were that this approach to camping offered them an opportunity to do something and learn something that they might not otherwise get. They could swim in pools or play with all of that other stuff any time, any place.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We go for the simple, somewhere I can trout fish. Somewhere off the beaten bath. If I want to swim its in a river. Prefer NF wilderness areas.

5. loveit

loveit Member

Simple, one that offers fishing, hiking, birding, quiet, etc. But a must is clean bathrooms, with clean showers. Otherwise we never go back.

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Simple sites, if I even stay in a designated campground. I can't imagine camping with mini-golf or other such dreck.

7. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

We generally prefer the simple State parks. Most of these have a naturalist on the weekends that will teach the kids about nature.

We are doing Fort Wilderness Disney next week for the first time. I'm sure this will be a whole different kind of camping.

8. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

My kids are into the nature hikes, swimming and canoeing. They love campfires. They have enjoyed waterparks, but they don't consider that kind of thing camping.

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I grew up camping with the family, mostly NFCGs and the like. I don't recall ever camping anywhere with a pool or playground as a kid and I'm pretty sure my dad would have scoffed at the idea. For that reason, I've never even thought about playgrounds or pools when camping. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just now what I grew up with. I guess if you don't know what you're missing then you aren't missing anything.

Personally, I always enjoyed wading in a mountain stream, climbing and playing on the boulders, going on firewood hunting expeditions with dad, playing with my toy trucks in the dirt, just being in the woods, etc. I certainly don't recall ever feeling like I was missing out on anything because I didn't have a pool or playground. I probably would have gravitated more to these simple things anyway because I could play on a playground any day at school and swim in a pool any other day of the summer.....getting away to the mountains has always been a pleasant excursion away from the everyday for me.

Needless to say.....I prefer more primitive and simplistic settings.....to the extent that I only occasionally stay in a designated and developed CG and primarily boondock.

10. jjsul

jjsul New Member

We have done both over the years, but have always preferred State Park type. The kid's always liked them more also. A simpler place let them explore and have "adventures."

11. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

If we're taking the grandkids, we have to have the bells and whistles. If it's just the DW and me, give me the shade trees and quiet!

12. carythepianoman

carythepianoman Member

I really don't care one way or the other. I just want to have fun.

I have hiked a lot of the A.T. which is about as "roughin' it" camping as it gets. I have taken overnight canoe trips where we just find a place on the side of the river to pitch tents. And on the other hand, I have camped in pop-ups and trailers at private campgrounds that have ALL the extra 'bells & whistles'. I have fun either way.

What bothers me most is the 'camping snob' that thinks anyone who doesn't participate ONLY in THEIR type of camping is doing it all wrong. I camp to have fun and enjoy the outdoors, and NOT to impress anyone else. To each his own, I say.

13. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

Simple. The SP we stay at all are on lakes with beaches. Sand + water = :) kids.

14. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

For my family it depends on the time of year. When there is going to be snow I prefer the bells and whistles. But in mid summer I like it simple.

15. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Like the plague X 2.

16. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

We prefer simple places where quiet reigns. It has to have fishing available to be a destination target.
    MR

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Simple, with the exception of Fort Wilderness.

18. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

Give me the bells and whistles...... Pools, nice bathrooms and warm showers, camp store and some activities. No state wardens roaming looking for you to drink a beer to fine you.

19. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Never been to one with all the bells and whistles and we have plenty of kids that camp with us. Always state parks for forest preserves.

20. David in MI

David in MI New Member

I thought showers, flush toilets and a playground were the bells and whistles! DS just wants there to be other kids to play with he wouldn't care about showers and toilets - that's DW's requirement. Would love to get a trailer with those two things eventually - that would really open up the possibilities.

Personally I like to load up the canoe and leave the rest behind, but have found that I can do more of that if there is a place to stay the night before and the night after!

I agree with piano man - I'm glad some folks like the other kind - fewer people in the boonies with me! And vice versa of course.