Do you like simple campgrounds that offer mostly nature...or bells and whistles?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by toddrn2006, May 24, 2011.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I prefer scenic BLM, NFS, of NPS CGs out West. They rarely have hookups and often only have pit toilets. Sometimes we stay at state parks, which can be more developed.
    On longer trips, we use a portable shower.

[​IMG]

2. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Maybe I am just getting older... [:O] we used to go for 4 or 5 days while tent-boondocking without a real shower or real toilet of some kind nor running water.. But now.. I have to say.. as someone who has a relatively no-frills PUP (Just a Vent Fan, Furnace & A stove).. I guess I mostly prefer something in the middle. Shower + Vault or Flush toilet is a pretty nice amenity. lol

3. Liv

Liv New Member

When I read the title, I thought, "sure, I love a little more bells and whistles like running water and flushing toilets." I definitely wasn't thinking about water slides and playgrounds. [:D]
    Lov
    Liv

4. abizeemom

abizeemom New Member

Here in Florida DH and I like to camp in the state parks. We like shady sites near the woods, and tend to choose parks that have hiking and/or canoeing. Some of our parks have swimming springs, which is nice when it's hot. Hillsborough River SP, near Tampa, even has a shallow swimming pool. Nothing fancy, but nice to cool off in.

When our daughters were teenagers and camped with us, their main stipulation was that we needed to camp somewhere near a mall! [LOL]

We've been to Fort Wilderness, which was nice, as we were visiting the Disney parks. Other than that, we've only been to one other private campground. The amenities were nice, as far as what we were looking for, but we still prefer the wilderness atmosphere of the state parks.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

mostly Nature [{:)]

6. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

Definitely nature last weekends trip to Jonathan Dickinson we saw quiet a few deer, rabbits, raccoons etc. Love the Fla. State parks [SUN]

7. dfab

dfab New Member

Yes

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We generally prefer mostly nature; one reason we camp is to more fully experience the places we want to hike and visit. The majority of our camping is done in public campgrounds, often NF ones with pit toilets, etc. It is nice to find somewhere to get a shower on longer vacations, though we have learned how to cope using baby wipes and washing/shampooing in a basin. [I think the record for no access to showers was 2 weeks - we try to find them somewhere on those longer trips.]

We do sometimes stay in private campgrounds, especially on cross-country trips, mostly KOAs because we can make reservations at distances we like to drive in a day. The availability of showers is a plus, we don't make use of pools or similar bells and whistles.

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

i like wilderness state and federal parks or i try 1-2 higher priced camp sites year usually Vermont New Hampshire or Maine i like to be away i go camping to clean my thoughts and relax so my vote is for simple and wooded

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

It really doesn't matter to me as long as the place ain't packed like an amusement park. As long as there's a place to swim when its hot, big enough to ride the bike around a bit without getting bored in 5 minutes, and showers.

11. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

12. bildoo

bildoo New Member

I prefer state parks or campgrounds that are more rustic. Nothing better than doing your business over a big hole in the ground. The state parks tend to have many more hiking and biking trails. Also they tend to be much cheaper than the frills campgrounds. Don't get me wrong though a campground with a bar, pool and maybe mini golf can still be lots of fun. Especially offroading drunk on rental golf carts!! Not that I've ever done that ;-)

13. ragincajun

ragincajun New Member

I camp with a 3 year old I like GC that have stuff for him to do. But if it was just me and the DW I would find some nice woods and just chill out.

14. turtle

turtle New Member

In the middle. Flush toilets, showers and electric hook up. Don't need a pool, playground or eating facilities.

15. jdewolf

jdewolf The New PUP-er on the block

The Simpler the Better, someplace that is quiet, im not on top of the other people camping and a place that offers alot of nice hiking trails.

16. andieb

andieb New Member

I'm guessing our style is more simple. When looking at CGs we look to see if the place has hiking trails attached to it. If there's a lake to swim in and a playground (nothing huge - some swings and a slide are fine) then we're really happy with it. A playground is always good for wearing out our kids if we're not hiking that day.

That being said the kids and I did go "camping" with my parents in their TT at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach. Between the beach, the pool, mini golf, the playground, the nature center, ceramics and lunch with the easter bunny we stayed busy which was nice. The kids had a blast and we will go back in our pup. (FWIW I put camping in quotes because my parents use their TT as more of a mobile hotel room vs. using it for actually camping and being outside. When DH and I go we like to be outside for almost everything which is why we have a pup.)

17. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Ditto!

We typically go for state parks that are middle of the road in terms of amenities...electrical hookups and showers/toilets are needed but we don't need anything else. No Disney atmospheres for us, no pee on the floor of the restrooms, and no filthy showers! [:D] I also try to plan ahead and reserve a campsite far away from the playground if possible to reduce noise and foot traffic around us.

18. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

For me, being out in nature is the whole point of camping.

I appreciate showers and flush toilets, but they are not necessary.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Amen! Being out in nature and away from civilization is the essence of camping. Once again, I readily say "each to his/her own" but for me those "pool and pony ride" places are resorts where you bring your own room, not campgrounds.

20. Skidmarks

Skidmarks New Member

My wife needs a bathroom and a shower. I wont put one in the PUP.
    I need an ocean or spring to put the Kayaks in and I am good. Running water is important too, since I only have a tiny fridge and 10 Gal tank.