Do you like simple campgrounds that offer mostly nature...or bells and whistles?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by toddrn2006, May 24, 2011.

1. gkraps

gkraps Member

We just spent 4 days/3 nights at the Shannon Campground atop Mt Graham, in the Pinaleno Mountains. of SE Arizona. 9,100 in elevation, vault toilets, picnic table, bear box food storage, bear box trash, 11 camping spots and nobody else camping but the camp host.

We haul our own water, charge the battery, make sure we have the cassette toilet, plenty of warm clothes (24 degrees on Thursday night). no firewood as there are very strict fire regulations in place, plenty of food and snacks, and another couple traveling with us in the space next door. This is what I call camping!

Yes, we missed having a campfire at night but we survived...we played games in the PUP each night while listening to our favorite oldies. Oh yes, we found a 1934 Ford pushed over the hill. Plenty of bullet holes and most parts missing but for us car guys it was fun thinking how it would have looked if someone had put in the time and effort to fix it up.

We had a great time and are ready for our next venture sometime later this summer!

2. flip_floppin

flip_floppin New Member

I like both but would prefer plain old nature. The wife prefers places with pools or springs to swim in.

3. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

We like the simple CG, swim in the lake, hike, or just sit under the shade, check out the night sky. GD loves camping and finds it so easy to entertain herself, Like finding roly polys, watching the campfire, looking for lizards, frogs, drowning worms with Pops, playing hopscotch and what ever else can be done with hands, imagination and the whole outdoors. (One time we were lucky enough to share our site with an armadillo and her baby, of course we admired her from a distance). But we do have a Disney trip planned in the future.

4. Pool Runner

Pool Runner We also love our GoldWing!

Simple! We have a couple of state parks that are located along small rivers - slow moving water that makes for excellent summer time fun. Fall and winter are for hiking and exploring...

5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I break it up with thrills camping, and nature camping. The holidays are the craziness that we take part in at Cedar Creek Campground, NJ. Full hookups with AC cranking, movie projector on the side of the pup, and not a care in the world. The rest of the season are state parks in PA, and NY.

6. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I like campgrounds.

7. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Although I do like the nature Cgs. It is nice to have things to keep the children occupied cause if they get bored lets face it. You will not enjoy the nature anyways.. [LOL]..... [2C]

8. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Primitive. I'm okay with vault toilets. You don't waste any time in there, that's for sure !!!

I have tried to keep places with game rooms, swimming pools, water slides and mini golf a secret from my children, for the sake of my wallet. I think information has been leaked to them, but they are happy with rustic and primitive. Fortunately, my girls are bookworms and are content to read. My son? If he has a place to go like a BOOH on his bicycle, he's a happy camper !! [:)C]

9. Eagle85

Eagle85 New Member

The only luxury item I need at campground is a shower house. I can even survive with out that but, it is one thing that I prefer having.

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Amen to that! Gotta have my shower in the morning.

11. Mrs337

Mrs337 New Member

So far we seem to gravitate towards campgrounds that have a little space between sites...bathrooms or at least portapotty's...but we usually pick a site that not within eye site of them. We like "easy" hiking trails...but most of them that we've come across wont allow dogs on them...so we end up just walking the campgrounds or driving around and jumping out to sight see here and there. I wouldn't enjoy something that was too catering to families and lots of children...water parks and such...would just bring the noise and random kids in your space...not what we call a vacation. But...we haven't done the so remote- you need to dig a hole to go potty, either... so we're somewhere in the middle? (one of the worst camping places we went to had parking lot style camp sites and people were using the designated hookup sites to power televisions and video game systems for their kids. Ick.

12. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

We like things simple. Other than having an electric hook up we do like to have a shower house. A normal playground works well for the Grandson.

We don't need a lot of frills as we go camping to relax, cook out, sit around the fire and enjoy the stars with a few cold ones.

13. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

If its just the wife and me then plain Jane campgrounds is our style but if we have the grandkids we like to have a pool and other amenities that will help keep them happy.

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I prefer the simple campgrounds with nature... although I do like water and electric hookups. We've never boondocked - but we'd like to try it. Maybe this summer. We used to belong to a campground club and we had all the "bells and whistles" there. It was okay - because the sites were very wooded like the State Park - and very private. I don't care about the swimming pools, the game room etc etc anymore. When we have the grandkids, we go to KOA's and that's okay too, if we get a nice spot. Mostly what I really dislike is the "camping trailer parks". Really hate those. But... to each their own.

15. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Member

Simple. We're from the Ft. lauderdale area and the hustle and bustle of the city can be a pain in the [:O]. So when we go camping, we want nothing more than peace, tranquillity, and nature.

16. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

When you said Bells and Whistles I thought you meant power and water. I mean, that's pretty nice right there if you're used to tent camping.

17. huizarr

huizarr Member

We prefer the state parks with hiking trails, usually a river or lake to fish in and maybe swim. The DD's like a playground, but it is not a necessity. We have stayed at a Jellystone resort, but we do not take advantage of all the stuff anyway. This last trip we went to Goliad SP and were able to learn about Texas history. The DW, DD's and I really enjoyed that.

When we first started camping we went to go and see nature. I still want that most of the time. I will say there have been times in the past and there will be in the future when we use the camper as a rolling hotel room. I would not call that camping in the true sense.

18. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

As others have said on here, if it's just my DH and me, we go for the more simple quiet campgrounds. We usually go to the state parks that have larger shaded and secluded sites. My DH's only request is a place to fish. I like clean showers and bathrooms, and electricity, but don't need anything more. Give me a good book, my dutch oven, and some hiking trails, and I'm very happy. However, if we take one of the grandkids along, it's a different story. I love my grandsons, but they have been brought up thinking they must be "entertained" every minute of the day. They do enjoy fishing with my husband, but when they grow tired of that, they need to burn off excess energy. I love to hike, but they are just not interested. We don't do game rooms, etc., but we want a good place for them to swim and ride their bikes, and a playground for the youngest ones. I try to keep them on the move all day so they'll go to sleep early at night. Then we can have our quiet solitude!

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Exactly - we don't have anything to hook water up to in our pup, but having in our site is a big step up!

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I pretty much always bring whistles with me as they are good things to have if you get lost hiking or have some other emergency and you need to get pretty loud......never thought about brining bells though [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Ok.....that was lame but I'm posting anyway.