Do you like simple campgrounds that offer mostly nature...or bells and whistles?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by toddrn2006, May 24, 2011.

1. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

As a very long time, but now former tent camper, I would definitely consider any hookups to be bells and whistles.....of course to many, they are bare necesity.

I personally don't even like to camp where hookups are available, let alone actually use them.

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I guess if i wanted bells & whistles i'd be staying home . [;)]
    I do like a hot shower though .

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

When I get to take the pup, my GK's & I prefer primitive. If I take the DW or DIL's, I have to take the TT & have everthing available. My DIL's think camping is not having bedrooms for everyone. [LOL]

4. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Just what is TT? I've seen that so many places in regards to camping and I've never been able to figure out what that means. [?:~{]

Thanks,
    Vicki

5. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Vicki, TT is Travel Trailer. So many acronyms here! It's like camper texting.

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Well... now it seems so obvious. LOL Thank you. :)

7. ┬╗TeamPound

┬╗TeamPound New Member

We prefer simple forestry sites. With those sites here in BC you usually get decent fishing, mountain biking, hiking and a great time with family and friends.

8. tsc

tsc Member

I prefer relative nature sites. Electrical hook up, a small playground and some kind of small program for kids (like an exploration centre, kids guided hike). The kids are 6 and 10, so they are relatively content, biking, hiking, fishing.

9. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

We prefer quiet. If it's got no facilities in order to keep the riff raff out, we're good with that.
    Our kids are grown(ish) and if they come (which they always do) they're happy entertaining themselves.

10. hollywood703

hollywood703 New Member

Im in the same boat, depends on what mood the family is in. We have a young daughter 4 in a few days, and she enjoys the jellystone types with lots of activites, My Son doesnt care as long as we can fish and we usually go back and forth between the 2. I dont care as long as it isnt a big party campground as I like the peace and quiet of the campground, then walk to the activites.

11. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I"ll tell you how remote we like to camp. Yesterday evening I was watching a TV show where they were investigating numerous Big Foot sightings in the mountains of N. Ga. I soon learned that they were in the exact same place we camped for a week last October! For a few days, I guess it was us, Big Foot and the rest of the critters. [;)] Another tenting couple did arrive for the weekend, though they stayed far away from our site and we hardly knew they were there. It is located about a half an hour off the highway, so no one goes there unless they want a true wilderness experience.

Amenities? There were plenty! Though there are certainly no hookups, showers, etc., there is a playground - if you are a squirrel, chipmunk, turkey, deer - or possibly a big foot (we saw all of the former, but sadly missed seeing the latter.) We were able to pump pure, delicious, well water from a rusty, old, hand pump to drink and shower in our little Aliner. There was also a beautiful mountain stream running behind our campsite, and a lovely, pristine waterfall less than 100 yards away. Come to think of it, I guess there was a playground for us too - formed by the very hand of God. Our bird sure enjoyed it too.

[​IMG]

That, my friends, is our style of camping.

Chip

12. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

You're not going to see bigfoot out there! He has a cabin in East Elijay. :laugh:

13. RonB

RonB New Member

We lean heavily toward simple, which is one reason we changed rigs last year. In national parks and even state parks we were finding most of the nice, shaded or premium view lots were closed to rigs 30' or larger (in some cases even smaller). If you were larger you ended up in a park campground that looked like a commercial parking lot campground; or in a nearby campground.

We sold our 31' Cedar Creek 5th wheel last summer and stepped up to a Niagara with full interior (fold up shower/toilet, Range wi Oven, microwave, etc.) We took a three week trip last summer and only spent four nights in commercial campgrounds (Moab out of necessity because of park crowds in Arches and Canyonlands). Then, just before we headed out we found a perfectly beautiful, yet rather sparse BLM campground just outside of canyonlands.

In early fall we are looking forward to a trip to Glacier, with return through Yellowstone. We would much rather stay in campgrounds like Yellowstone's Grant's than Fishing Bridge. Quieter, more separation and we are among campers.

That is not to say we completely shun commercial campgrounds. After a week or more we might stop at one that has a pool, laundry etc. We have even been known to do a motel over-nighter on longer trips. After all, at the end of the day it is your trip.

RonB

14. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

The only bells and whistles we need are:

A. Restrooms with showers
    B. Water
    C. Electric

If we had little ones, all the other stuff might be fun, but our baby is 18.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I just spent the week in a place similar to the one where Sushidog was. It even had an old fashioned pump with a long handle. An extrovert who gets charged up from human activity and personal interaction would have gone crazy out there, saying there was nothing to do. I absolutely loved the isolation, solitude and quiet. This is exactly what I want from camping. I was on the eastern slopes of the Olympics but alas, no Bigfoot.

16. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

We got to state parks, they have nice facilities with nice sites and if we can book in advance we have our favorite sites at each place we have stayed. DD is almost 10 and DS is 11, and while they like the playgrounds, they would prefer to be at the beach swimming or riding their bikes. We do not own a generator, so electricity is a must, call me spoiled, but I have to have electric hook-ups. [;)]

We do camp at a Jellystone once a year, but that's in October for Halloween so the pool & water slide are not draws for us. They do offer a lot of activities for the kids, which is nice when you want to sleep in on a Saturday morning. [SNZ]

17. electronflux

electronflux Member

I go for the places like the ones the UT frequents, only in MT instead of WA....not a lot of people or none. I have never camped with hook ups and I don't even own a generator.

Everywhere I've camped is either dry or boondocks. my last pup didn't even have a battery. The only requirement I have is for it to be near a fishing spot (within walking or short drive). I have a Katadyne Base camp water filter to replenish my FW supply, a solar panel to keep the battery charged, a shovel and a cabana w/ Luggable Loo for the girls.

18. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I prefer boondocking away from the world...but the wife doesn't, she has to have her luxuries. Heat will kill her (literally so the Air Conditioner is a must, due to a inopperable brain tumor), she gets really bad headaches that incapasitates her. Now if we went to lets say Canada, and camped during the summer on an overcast day with max temps at 80, she can handle that. Me, it doesn't matter, as long as its quiet and I don't have to deal or put up with inconsiderate people. So boonies for me. I'd rather swim and soak in a river or lake than a public swimming pool.

JJ

19. FC

FC Central Florida

Im with JJ on this one......Lol

20. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Im with Albert and Mel I will take A B C anytime as long as the BR is clean.....