Do You Lock It

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Camper Jo, May 17, 2013.

1. steved

steved New Member

We follow a similar practice...

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We actually do lock the door when we leave. Not so much to protect the contents, but to keep out the curious or perhaps the inebriated. Kids don't seem to have the same ideas of boundaries, and a PUP looks pretty interesting. The campgrounds here are tight, and they don't have a bunch of space between, so we always seem to have a wondering kid coming by. We know full well the lock won't stop someone determined to come in, either while we're there inside, or gone for the day.

We just feel it may keep someone who wants to poke their head in out of the PUP, and perhaps discourage a critter.

3. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Door locks on a camper made out of canvas are an oxymoron.

4. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

We lock it, and keep the valuables in the TV, hidden from sight, when we are away. Keeps the honest people honest. I've been thinking about a door alarm for the inside of the door, if the PUP moves while we are gone. At night. Our chihuahuas let us know if anyone is lurking in the campsite. And my DH is realllllly grumpy if he gets woken up by a prowler, and they wouldn't like him when he's grumpy...
    We use bicycle chains to tie bikes and our expensive folding recliners to the PUP tongue at night.

Priscilla

2013 Flagstaff 228D and DH's 2004 Nissan Titan

5. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I lock the PUP at night so if someone jiggles the handle my 100 lb. Rottweiler goes ape. Chances are I wouldn't even need to get out of bed.

6. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Yes.

7. kpic

kpic New Member

My 84# Pitt kept pulling her bed by the door, so now we put it between the cabinets for her. She is protective but not aggressive, but all the Pitt hype keeps people out of our site. [;)]

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

lock it when traveling. When camping, we only lock if we leave and there are little kids in the close area. Don't want to give the opportunity to get the kids in trouble. Otherwise, I don't lock, but DW will lock it some times.

9. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I lock our HTT doors both at night and during the day if we are away. As others have said it would be pretty easy to get in if someone really wants to. I just figure they would look pretty silly, and might draw attention, trying to climb up through the canvas and into one of our bunk ends. We take all valuables with us if leaving the site. I do lock my bikes up to the bumper also, friends have made comments, but my bikes are valuable to me, they're not too expensive but not cheap either. Better to be safe than sorry.

10. goody59

goody59 Member

I lock it if I am away from camp. I know it is easily entered via the door and other ways, I just do it out of habit.

11. kpic

kpic New Member

"Locks are for honest men/peopleĀ” is a proverb which has been cited in print since ~1912. [;)]

12. avian1

avian1 New Member

I was a state park ranger working in campgrounds for 33 yrs. Seen it all. Only saw two incidents where people entered RV's illegally. Both times it was after midnight by a group of creeps that were drunk or on drugs. Not Campers. They entered the campground and went from camper to camper eating food they found inside. (this was before CCW was popular) In each case they entered only the RV's with UNLOCKED DOORS. Fortunately no one was hurt. In one incident, I found the creeps passed out in the middle of the campground and surrounded by angry campers at daylight. Now retired, and a PUP camper myself, my door is locked at night and my S&W is by my side. And yes, they were dealt with.

13. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Did you kill em? [:O]

14. steved

steved New Member

Me too...