Do you miss the tents?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Coolzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Coolzzy

Coolzzy New Member

Well after a short 2 month love affair with a hybrid trailer, I sold it and took a bit of a loss after discovering water damage I was not willing to fix.

I loved reading a book in the tent end of popup and hybrid during those long lazy days camping. Unzip the windows and relax on the mattress as I'd you were outside. I'm trying to find another hybrid but am leary of used due to water damage issues. That, and it seems dealers are asking more for used hybrids than I could buy a brand new hard sided trailer with 2 year warranty.

So do you miss it, or would you have gone straight from pup to dark side? I'm 35, got 3 kids, no back problems or other physical limits on my activities. I would not miss climbing over or being climbed over in the middle of the night for potty runs, or climbing over that darn u shaped dinette and table to get in and out of bed.

What I will lose is the ability to put my atv in the pickup and still pull a trailer like the hybrid allows me to do. With a hard side, increased tongue weight and trailer weight put me too heavy and not good for the mountain camping we do. Hard side is also longer (we would be needing a bunk house with slide) so those small camp sites are iffy. What's your take, opinions either way are appreciated.

I've found a newer hybrid at a dealer but they want 14k for it and it's 5 years old! For only a little more I can go full dark side but with the cons mentioned above.

2. UtahCamperGuy

UtahCamperGuy New Member

I don't like the hybrids. I've only seen a couple but they seemed so small. My pup had a lot more room. Do they have bigger ones?

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We went from a popup to a travel trailer.

Yes, sometimes I miss laying in the tent end reading my book with the breeze coming through the screens.

We didn't want any 'moving parts' that would break or leak. We are really happy with the TT. Now I read in my gravity chair outside.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

We have a hard sided folding camper, which seems the best of both worlds to us. We did sleep in a tent several times last year and it was great too. I guess each has benefits and drawbacks! [:)C] [:)C]

5. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We went straight to a TT, while I do miss the aspects of a tent trailer, the ease and set up of the TT was a major factor for me. Our King slide out bed has two windows on either side so we still have cross flow. I just don't have to open it up to clean and dry out especially with the amount of rain we can get in the Pacific North West. Ever think of a toy hauler TT?

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

You'll have to choose if the things you'll lose, such as hauling the ATV, outweigh anything you may be gaining.
    We went directly from pup to TT, albeit a smallish one - 17', about the size of our pup opened up, though with more floor space. While I did look at some hybrids while shopping for a new camper, the TT met our needs better. Since we plan on keeping this TT for 15-20 years, we opted to make the move from canvas to solid sides.
    I will miss being able to stretch out on the bed with the windows unzipped on all sides, but the other items we gained - permanent bed, more storage, for example - far outweigh that for us. However, it is just the two of us, and my back issues were the impetus to move on from a pup. (The hybrids I looked at would have been a challenge for me to handle, and the ones available were actually larger and heavier than the TT we bought.)

7. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

2 first for me this year, bought our first NTU [PU] and then went to our first RV / Trailer show to see what kind of goodies we might be able to purchase for our PUP. While we were there we of course had to look at all the nice Trailers they had and I have to say, there is way more room for sleeping people in a [PU] over anything they had of equivalent size in a hard sided unit. Most the units had either 1 queen or at best a queen and 2 small bunks which would not fit anyone over 5' comfortably. Glad we went the route we went, now to get it out and start using it.

8. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

While I don't miss the set and tear down of the tent trailer, I do really miss opening the bunk ends and letting a nice breeze through. I also found it really help brighten the inside.

9. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Ah yes......Lying in bed reading a nice book while the fresh air blows in over your body.....the sounds of nature wafting in.....is there anything better?

I love pop ups. They compact into an easily tow-able unit and then open up into a huge unit. My popup is 28' open. And on a beautiful day in the summer with all the windows open, it feels like camping. :)

Vin.

10. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

When driving through a camp ground we try our best to miss running over tents.

[LOL]

11. Coolzzy

Coolzzy New Member

I have to balance my love for the tent against owning a trailer for at least 4-5 years, so I have to make sure it will meet all our current and future needs. I'm kinda drawn to the kodiak 181 and Coleman cte184 floorplan (same trailers, different names) but don't know if I want to drop a premium price to own one and hope it will get me through 5 more years of camping relatively trouble free.

12. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Nope

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

"Nope" is my answer, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. penguin

penguin Member

Water damage would be a huge concern for me as well, especially in the front where that door is exposed to driving force winds while towing that would certainly push water inside anywhere the gasket was damaged or weak. The sad thing about water damage is, you usually don't find out about it until it's too late.

15. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Yes I do miss the tent ends but living in new England where even in summer the night temp can drop near the ocean and humidity I decided go to a TT.
    This has extended our season. Our first camping trip this year was a full 2 month before we took our pup out.

I rather camp then have tent ends. Also the tent ends are very efficient in heating and retaining heat. Also spring/fall means rain here . So unless I move somewhere south TT is it.
    satz

16. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

3 major factors made us give up our Pup,

1- rain, and having to worry about the bunk ends staying wet and getting mildew

2- set up was getting to be too much more my well abused back

3- we want to do cross country trips and wanted the convenience of just getting up and going into the back of the coach for using the bathrrom, and getting some food

17. Coolzzy

Coolzzy New Member

Well we took the plunge yesterday. We went whole hog and bought a 2015 Tracer Air 250. Tongue weight is under 500 pounds, bonded aluminum structure, walkable roof, awesome "docking" station for water system, integrated battery shut off, smooth "Champagne" fiberglass sides, kitchen and couch slide out, full over full bunks, double doors, front queen, U shaped dinette, tri fold couch sleeper bed, etc etc. Picking it up Wednesday and camping on Friday, can't wait! Gonna squeeze the zero gravity chairs in the "basement" and hopefully not look back.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have had all kinds, even tried a hybrid once but never could stop the leaks so I got rid of it. I always go back to the PUP due to ease of handling, and it is the closest thing to a tent except we have some the conveniences of home and being off the ground is a good thing in rainy weather another plus is the good gas mileage etc. However being an ex- long distance hiker, tent camping is still in my blood so I still tent camp on the river while canoe camping and truck camp once in a while when the DW is not along .

19. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I do not miss the tents. I prefer the privacy of a TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We have an A-liner with two dormers. We have hard sides and canvas. No leaks. No slide out beds. 15 foot, roomy, and we love it. Best of both worlds.