Do you miss the tents?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Coolzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Not one bit. Far too much effort to set up a tent than it is to set up my Aliner.

2. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

We had a pop-up for 6 years and just purchased a TT in January. We haven't camped in it yet so I'm not sure how much we are going to miss the bunk-ends. We spent a lot of time talking about whether to get a hybrid or a TT because I absolutely loved being in the PUP and laying in the bed and feeling the breeze blow in and spelling the sweet smell of nature, especially in the early morning. I think I will miss that with the TT but we did not want to have to deal with water issues anymore and other things that we did not like about having bunk-ends. We now have a 23 ft TT with a queen walk around bed, bunkbeds for the grandkids, large fridge, oven, microwave and of course a wonderful bathroom :) Even though it is a 2011, it's in great shape and we got it at a great price without having to finance anything. Our pop-up was wonderful while we had it and we made so many special memories with it but it was time to move on. At least I know it went to another good home and another family to make more memories.

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Well congrads on the new rig....We too just plunged into buying new, But we stayed with the tent ends...I @ 52 would go back to a ground tent before a TT.

4. bamacampercpl

bamacampercpl New Member

I do not miss the tents at all. I like have the pup clean and packed and ready to go. I just have to worry about food and clothes and I'm on the road!

5. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

I've often read this. The same can't be accomplished simply opening windows in a trailer? I ask this not as a criticism but really out of curiosity. I have my Aliner and find cracking the windows allows for the wonderful smells and sounds of the woods come early morning.

6. R00

R00 Active Member

More square footage of screen area means more air movement. I've often been impressed with how fast a popup can air out after being blasted by campfire smoke or something like it. That kind of smell lingers in hardwalls a bit longer...

7. Coolzzy

Coolzzy New Member

we just got back from two nights in the mountains. I was surprised to find that my truck pulled the new trailer easier than I thought, even in the steep stuff. I brought my zero gravity chair and enjoyed reading my kindle out in nature. Also really enjoyed the queen size bed and trailer that retained most of the furnace heat at night (no more waking up cold). And of course, the potty was nice too (and the freezer and fridge, and slideout, and interior room, and bunk beds etc etc). We were packed and hitched up in less than 20 minutes when it came time to leave. There was the added hassle/time of stopping at the dump station, but rubber gloves and rhinoflex hoses, along with a black tank flush system, made even that undesirable chore easier than pulling out tent trailer bed ends :eek:). I think we're really gonna enjoy TT camping this season and for several to come. I will always miss the airy tent feeling and may someday find myself back in one, who knows what the future holds.

8. jinxiepie

jinxiepie New Member

Yes, we upgraded to a crossroads z1 252bh last year. We had an 80s teeny tiny pup, and like others have said I loved the sun and breeze. But I dont miss the rain. We get out 8 -10 trips a year and our last year of pup ownership came when it rained all weekend for half those trips. 3 days of rain is cold and wet and packing up in the rain sucks. We started looking at htt but every single used one we saw had water damage. Especially around the tow side. Htt are more prone to leak when towed than pups an people dont seem to care for them well. We couldn't find a decent one for under $ 12000 used and they are over 20k new! We got our new travel trailer brand new for 15k! We have a model that is 28ft with bunks no slide. We love having a seperate bedroom with door from kids and the bathtub is awesome with little ones. Also love being able to pull over and use bathroom or make lunch on our long road trips. Even in the rain

9. flat_twin

flat_twin Member

Two years ago we bought our first "real" modern TT. A 29' toy hauler, queen bed in front, small bath and kitchen with a BIG frig. My wife really appreciates the on board bathroom and tons of storage. We sold our smaller TT that had no bath, no plumbing of any kind and a small electric only dorm room sized frig. We still tent camped when it was appropriate to do so, sometimes in the truck and sometimes on motorcycles as we've done for years.
    We passed on two other TT when we found water damage. I examined the one we bought on my hands and knees, checking every square inch of the floor and roof. No problems.
    Our friends who are now full timers chuckle at the way we camp with our toy hauler. We treat it like a tent. We still set up a full outside kitchen and almost never use the indoor range and oven. Unless it's pouring down rain or we're sleeping, we're outdoors. I see no reason why folks can't have a TT and still enjoy tenting or a popup if they so desire.

Our typical outdoor setup...

[​IMG]

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Only time I miss tenting is when I'm rolling down the street. With a tent I never worried about the "other guy" clipping the back of the trailer on the road. I can't imagine starting over-

11. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

We camped for the first time in our TT and found that there is no way you can get the "outdoor" feeling in the TT like you can in a pop-up. Even though our TT has a window on my side of the bed, it's nothing like laying on the bunkends of the pop-up right next to the window and feeling the breeze. One thing I did notice is that with the TT not being as open with the windows and everything like a pop-up, when we are inside, it actually feels smaller than our pop-up did. The things I love about the TT are the big fridge, the walk-around bed, the bath with shower, the short set-up and take-down time and probably the biggest thing is not having to worry about setting up or tearing down in the rain. But I think I will always miss the openness and the outdoor feeling that a pop-up has.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Although we have more windows than in the pup, they are smaller, and a bit below eye level when I'm standing up. The largest window, on my side of the bed, is the emergency exit, so it pushes open rather than sliding. That's nice in the rain, but at night, it needs to be all the way open or shut, or I hit the lever getting in and out of bed. the screen door has more open screening than the door on either pup had, too.
    If the weather permitted, in the Cobalt I could stretch out on the bed with the window flaps open all the way on three sides - of course, given where we camp much of the time, and the tendency for windy weather, that didn't happen too often.
    Our TT does actually feel as large inside as our Cobalt did, the cobalt was about 17' when open and the Retro is a 17' TT. Our first pup was a 6' box, with one bunk end, so the Retro is definitely larger - we can both standup at the same time!
    Much as I miss aspects of both ground and pup camping, being able to still get out and enjoy the outdoors makes up for those.