Do you plug space heaters into the pup outlets?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by higginskatie, Mar 28, 2014.

1. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

Or do you run a separate extension cord out to the power pole? I know the cords can get warm sometimes so I am thinking about the pup's electrical systems.

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I plug mine into the 20amp circuit usually used for the AC. In my other trailer that did not have AC I used the wall outlets with out any problems.

3. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We do plug the in to the interior outlets.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I plug one heater into the single 120v circuit in the PUP that is not dedicated to the air conditioner. However, I frequently run two heaters, so I added a second 120v 15 amp circuit. I've done that in the last two PUPs with no problems. I also wanted an outlet in that part of the PUP that did not have 120v power nearby. The main breaker is still 30 amps. Without a second circuit, I would trip the breaker otherwise.

5. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Your PUP should have at least 15-amp circuits for the outlets and more for the A/C outlet. You shouldn't have a problem with a typical space heater.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We plug it into the pup's outlet with no problem. We don't run any other heat-producing appliances at the same time.
    In our previous pup, we ran a separate extension cord out a gap in the canvas, when we were camped in very cold weather (teens to upper 20s), so needed the space heater and the electric skillet at the same time. The Cobalt has a furnace, the space heater is just supplemental heat when we chose, so we have no problem unplugging it we take a toaster oven on a trip.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If we use an electric heater, we plug it into the air conditioner outlet.

8. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I plug my space heater into the standard PUP outlet. No problems except when girlfriend forgets and plugs in hair curler. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Since we've got A/C, we've got the luxury of a 15a and a 20a circuit so we can one 2 heaters if necessary. With the Gizmos and the Reflectix mods, it can get pretty toasty. Seldom have had to use both.

10. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

We carry a 12/3 50 ft extension cord and plug it right into one of the 120v duplex outlets on the site's power pedestal.

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We plug right in to the PUP outlets. Haven't had a problem yet.