Do you pull you PUP with a full or empty water tank and why?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by chevmec1, May 20, 2013.

1. chevmec1

chevmec1 New Member

Just curious it seems like there might be undue stress on the tank when pulling with a full tank or should I not be concerned.

2. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Empty! Fill up when you get to the CG, or slightly before you get there, it reduces weight on the tongue and it keeps you from losing control of the sloshing water inside.

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Doesn't make sense that a manufacturer would install a system that couldn't be used, but I've been wrong before. [RTM]. My guess is the tank is engineered to be filled with water and used for it's intended purpose - transporting water to the campsite, HOWEVER, I have noted postings on this and other forums that there are some designs that place the tank far behind the axle making for a possible light tongue weight and sway situation if the balance is not restored by shifting other weight forward. That part of the design would be my only concern.

My Jayco does not have this issue and we fill it at home and typically transport the water on 2-3 hour weekend trips boondocking in the National Forests where there is no water. If traveling further, like an 8 hour trip to another state, we will tend to find a place to fill it closer to our destination

Some won't travel with it full simply to save weight and achieve a somewhat better MPG towing.

4. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

My fresh water tank is 30 gallons, at roughly 8 lbs per gallon that's only 250lbs out of my total capacity of 7600 (I have a small TT). It's really not worth monkeying with but for some reason I like to carry it empty. Although it takes a few minutes to fill it back up at a fill spot. (More than I thought it would). Our next trip is local and I'm going to try driving loaded up. I doubt I'll notice it, my tank sits before the axles.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Honestly depends on where I am going. If I know the cg has good water I will run with whatever I have leftover from the last trip. If they don't have good water I will fill most of the way at home and top it off at the park.

6. EV2

EV2 Member

I prefer the known quality of the water that I can provide at home. My trailer tows perfectly with a full tank of water so there is no sloshing. And, it's one less thing to have to mess with when setting up as we normally do not have water at our site. No problem for the past seven years and if it becomes one I'll reconsider.

7. Brate

Brate Bravado!

Empty, we camp with hook ups.

8. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I have never had any issues with loss of control due to water sloshing. In fact, if the tank is filled, I don't see how there could be any sloshing. But again, my Jayco has the tank (19 gal) positioned pretty much right over the axle. Never ever an issue with swaying.

9. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

I use hookups unless there aren't any and then I take water .... And fill the toilet and the water heater with it being six pounds a gallon for twenty gallons and six in the water heater plus the toilet ... Howmuch water does the toilet tank hold ....??

10. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Empty if water is available at the CG.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sorry we only drink water that we know where it comes from.

12. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

I have towed it empty and full. Absolutely no difference. It may depend on your TV, but my F150 couldn't care less. No difference in handling, mpg, etc.

If going dry, then fill it. If connecting, then don't. It's up to you.

13. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

When we are camping with hookups, it's empty. Campground with no hookups, we fill up the tank there or somewhere nearby. We don't use this water to drink but for other necessities. We bring our own drinking water in jugs and bottles. Boondocking, we fill up at home. There's no noticeable difference in towing empty or full.

Campit

14. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We bring a full tank, we like the lack of smell and taste of our water

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I have found that my Westlake tows better with the tank full. I think it helps to offset all the junk I load in the front storage box. [:D]

There is no problem towing with the tank full or empty. Personal preference.

16. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Full. No way to fill at the CG, other than toting 5-gal aquatainers back and forth from a central spigot. No thanks.

17. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We tow the HTT empty. The weight is the main thing. All the camp grounds we stay at have potable water hook-ups or fill stations.

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

empty, don't use sink/water heater [8D]

19. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I agree. I don't even have a battery so I wouldn't have any way to get it out of the tank. To my knowledge, it's never been filled.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I tow empty if I know there is water where I'm going. But, I often boondock (camp in wilderness outside established campgrounds) and when I do that I tow with it full. When I'm on a long trip with multiple stops I run it down but leave about 8-10 gallons, which I tow to the next location, then refill it there. I like to tow with little or no water to cut the weight.

CamL48 said:
    When I fill at a CG that's the way I do it. Most of the places I go have no other water source. I don't do it all (40 gallons) at once, though. A couple of trips now and then throughout the day and I'm good.