Do you pull you PUP with a full or empty water tank and why?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by chevmec1, May 20, 2013.

1. Yes Dear

Yes Dear Member

When I tow full I get some sway, so I tow empty. Plus the weight is kept down. Also the tank is located behind the axle.(could cause the sway).

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Empty. We've never used the water tank in either of our PUPs. We always camped with hook-ups with our previous PUP. Now we're doing more dry camping but so far, the campgrounds we've been to have had had running water. We use the campground water for doing dishes, washing up etc. But we take a 7-gal Aquatainer, which we fill at a nearby Artisian well for drinking and cooking water.

3. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Unless I know for sure that safe driking water is available I fill up at home. I don't notice much difference when towing full or empty but I do dump the left over water when pullig out of the campground. Our favourite park has a drinking water boil advisory so we need to bring our own. The first time I ran into this I had just sanitized the tank and it was the only local source of water so I filled up for washing and misc use. We used bottled water for drinking but I had to re-sanitize when we returned home. [:(]

4. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We tow full. If you have ever had to use a hand pump to fill your tank. Four trips with 20 pump per contaner plus hauling it on dirt a road 1/4 mile around you would fill first also

5. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

empty my tank is located at the left front of the trailer 10 gallon tank there is no good way to balance the weight

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We have a 2012 Jayco Sport 8. The only thing to us water for is the teeny/tiny sink. So we've never hooked up water or filled the water tank. I bring bottles of drinking water, a couple of gallons of spring water for coffe/crystal lite, etc. or otherwise use the water provided at the campsite.
    '

7. Checkered24

Checkered24 Member

I usually tow with it empty. I dont use it for drinking water so taste is not an issue for me. Mostly just wash hands in it. For shorter trips, I don't even fill it at all sometimes!

8. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Have done both, since I usually fill the tank for one trip, and just go until it's empty (usual trips 2-3 days, and my 20 gal tank can last me over a week.)
    I haven't seen any difference towing full or empty, either with my old Explorer (5000 lb towing capacity, PUP is 2,000 lbs) or my new Expedition.

As far as drinking the water from the campground, I have no problem with it, even though I'm in the health care field. Everyone that has drinking water has minimum standards that will ensure our health. Not saying, however, that the water tastes the best. You could always get a Britta, or other water filter, to use for camp ground water if the heavy metals bother you.

9. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Full. We are usually camping where filling the tank is not an option. Although most of our water is in 2.5 gallon containers outside, it is nice to have the full tank for wash water and toothbrushing.

10. Tennif Shoe

Tennif Shoe New Member

I tow full going, empty on the way back, the type of camping I do there is no water, you must bring it. My pup holds 20 gallons, and I bring 10 more with me. Also think about this, you may find yourself stranded on the side of the road one day and the water in your tank may mean the difference between dying and surviving.

11. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Keeping it full allows you to use it for a "bug out" unit when the Zombie Apocalypse happens. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

12. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

13. CalKat

CalKat Member

We will usually tow with a full tank when we don't know the quality of the local water, or when we boondock. Our last trip was to a state park (without hookups) and the water was so cloudy it looked like thin milk. We also freeze Nalgene 64 oz. bottles http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80924 of our local water for the coolers and drink those as they thaw.

14. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I have a 10 gallon tank and 6 gallon water heater, both aft of the axle, which removes some tongue weight when traveling with full tanks. Since my car only has a class 1 hitch available, I must be careful not to have more than 175lbs or so tongue weight (in my 1,700lb loaded Aliner), so traveling with full water tanks is often the best option, especially if I'm carrying my generator and my fridge and toilet flush tank is full (all are at the very front of my camper), as it offsets this additional tongue weight well. I often add or remove water from the tank and shift the load inside the camper to get the balance just right. Too little tongue weight = sway danger. Too much = bent hitch, especially on bumpy roads.

Chip

15. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

I almost always pull with a full tank of water unless we have hook ups, which isn't too often. I can't really tell a difference.

16. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

I have never carried water in my tank. We will only camp with hookups though. We bring some soda, some bottled water to drink. We usually bring a gallon of water in an old milk jug for tooth brushing and minor cleanups, ETC. When we camp we almost always eat out. When we do eat at the PUP, we have micro warmable stuff and plasticware/plates/ETC.

Basically we made camping very simple since the kids are gone now.

17. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Always full. I love water.
    I'm an Aquarius.

18. CalKat

CalKat Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Hey, it is best to be prepared, right? World War Z could break out while you're camping. [:O]

19. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

I Try to find water closer to where we are camping. Some sites that we go to might have a hand pump at best. I hate pulling a couple of hundred pounds of water through the mountains of Idaho if I don't need to!

We are far to remote at camp to eat out or have hook ups!

20. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Don't laugh, I bought my Aliner after Hurricane Katrina precisely as a disaster bug-out rig. My family (ME, DW, DBird, DCat and DDog) used it to bug out for a major hurricane shortly thereafter. It served its purpose well. We "bugged-out" to Northern Alabama and lived in it till the evacuation order was lifted and it was safe to return. While not quite the Apocalypse, Katrina was close (at least for us N.O. area folk, and the thousands who died as a result) speaking to the versatility of these little campers of not only providing fun and recreation, but safety and security under the worst case scenario - zombies optional. [;)]

Chip